Best change in character from book to series?

Batman

but she doesn't give a shit about his safety, all she wanted at that point was to try & do all she could to get her daughters back. The book one is better because it shows you how narrow her thinking was at that time.

I prefer not to envision Catelyn as a "narrow thinker".

Btw, the worst change is Jorah, way too handsome and charming...

Man, HBO Jorah is such a fox. And so appealing and wonderful. I was SHOCKED to discover that book Jorah is a shady-ass creeper who deserves what he has coming.

Not sure which I prefer. On the one hand, there's a wonderful justice to book!Jorah's fate. On the other hand, I just love show!Jorah so much.

No Sean Bean love?

He didn't really change anything.

Sean Bean was the guy to play Eddard Stark. He played him to a tee. But nothing was really changed from the book.

Unlike say... Oona Chaplin. Now there's a change.

I like the things Varys and Olenna say in the show, much more. Well, I could name examples, but pretty much every scene which one of them (or both!) is in, is pretty damn awesome.

I like the things Varys and Olenna say in the show, much more. Well, I could name examples, but pretty much every scene which one of them (or both!) is in, is pretty damn awesome.

The fact that Olenna and Varys had a scene together was awesome.

I love TV Varys. I love Varys in general but yeah.

Characters Improved by the Show:

• Tywin Lannister - Charles Dance makes me like Tywin in spite of myself!
  • Tyrion Lannister - I am a fan of Tyrion in the books, but Peter Dinklage makes me like him even more (despite his atrocious accent).
  • Lord Varys - Love Varys in the books, but Conleth makes him even better. He is pure genius in this role and he has some great lines in the show.
  • Jorah Mormont - BIG improvement over the books. On my current reread I keep getting jarred by the "hairy bear" description because Iain Glen has become the character.
  • Theon Greyjoy - I despised book Theon, but I can't bring myself to hate Alfie Allen. He is the winner for Most Improved, IMO.
  • Viserys Targaryen - A close second for most improved. The character on the show is written very true to the book, but Harry Lloyd improves him somehow.

Characters Diminished by the Show:

• Roose Bolton - Just not as menacing in the show. Not icy enough IMO.
  • Stannis Baratheon - Apparently I am in the minority on this, but it seems like humor and hardness are both lost on the show. Not Stephen Dillane's fault, but the writing...
  • Margaery Tyrell - I can't stand sexy, savvy TV Margaery with her "hey, should we get my brother in here to help things along" attitude. Very HBO.
  • Jojen Reed - I just like book Jojen better. TV Jojen seems too modern.

Perfection:

• Ned Stark = Sean Bean
  • Arya Stark = Maisie Williams
  • Jon Snow = Kit Harington
  • Jaime Lannister = Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
  • Cersei Lannister = Lena Headey
  • Danaerys Targaryen = Emilia Clarke
  • Petyr Baelish = Aidan Gillen
  • Walder Frey = David Bradely (Filch!)
  • Grand Maester Pycelle = Julian Glover
  • Jaqen H'ghar = Tom Wlaschiha

:drool: :leer: Yes ill agree with that.

Dany could have used a better actress. Another fault is HBO's really bad choice of wigs. Too much yellow....

I thought her and NCW stole season 3.

As to best change: Well, I kind of fell in love with Nathalie Emmanuel (Missandei) so even though I love her character in the books, I'm glad they aged her up.

Characters Improved by the Show:

• Tywin Lannister - Charles Dance makes me like Tywin in spite of myself!
  • Tyrion Lannister - I am a fan of Tyrion in the books, but Peter Dinklage makes me like him even more (despite his atrocious accent).
  • Lord Varys - Love Varys in the books, but Conleth makes him even better. He is pure genius in this role and he has some great lines in the show.
  • Jorah Mormont - BIG improvement over the books. On my current reread I keep getting jarred by the "hairy bear" description because Iain Glen has become the character.
  • Theon Greyjoy - I despised book Theon, but I can't bring myself to hate Alfie Allen. He is the winner for Most Improved, IMO.
  • Viserys Targaryen - A close second for most improved. The character on the show is written very true to the book, but Harry Lloyd improves him somehow.

Perfection:

• Ned Stark = Sean Bean
  • Arya Stark = Maisie Williams
  • Jon Snow = Kit Harington
  • Jaime Lannister = Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
  • Cersei Lannister = Lena Headey
  • Danaerys Targaryen = Emilia Clarke
  • Petyr Baelish = Aidan Gillen
  • Walder Frey = David Bradely (Filch!)
  • Grand Maester Pycelle = Julian Glover
  • Jaqen H'ghar = Tom Wlaschiha

I agree with most

Though I would like to mention Coster-Waldau's Jaime. At first I thought the guy is just not radiant enough but now he is all Jaime should be and more!

And Headey's Cersei is better than in the books since she is so much more differenciated, the relationship to her children is much more fleshed out

u]Characters Diminished by the Show:

[*]Roose Bolton - Just not as menacing in the show. Not icy enough IMO.

[*]Stannis Baratheon - Apparently I am in the minority on this, but it seems like humor and hardness are both lost on the show. Not Stephen Dillane's fault, but the writing...

[*]Margaery Tyrell - I can't stand sexy, savvy TV Margaery with her "hey, should we get my brother in here to help things along" attitude. Very HBO.

Here I do not agree

I like the sexy savvy Margaery

And I do not really understand the problems people have with HBO Stannis. He may be more driven by emotions but I do not mind.

And Roose Bolton - I am sure we have not yet seen him at his worstbest and I am looking forward to it

All in all the cast is great so far. And I am among those who even like Sibel Kekilli's Shae.

What about the secondaries?

I love the actors playing Lancel, Samwell, Dolorous, Luwin, Brienne, Bronn, Amon, Mormont, Syrio etc they only have a few scenes but they truly nail the characters. This is what makes the series so great. Wonderful actors in the foreground, and equally wonderful actors in the background.

Gendry finding out his heritage is the best change the show has made. I thought the actor was terrible in Doctor Who but he's pretty likeable in Thrones.

• Margaery Tyrell - I can't stand sexy, savvy TV Margaery with her "hey, should we get my brother in here to help things along" attitude. Very HBO.

Hate her too. In the books the point is that it is Cersei's paranoia that paints Margaery as a rival schemer. In the show she's uh.. actually like that. I think DnD missed the point completely.

When turning a book and series the size of asoiaf in a tv series various characters are going to have to be changed and certain aspects of characters omitted. Which charcter do you find yourself liking more in the series than in the books?

Sandor Clegane is potrayed as less snarling and outwardly hostile in the series and Tywin Lannister has been portayed in a more human light. Littlefingers love for Cat has been more pronounced and there was actually a scene in season one where I felt bad for Joffrey! That scene where he is holding Roberts hand as he dies and Robert laments that he should have spent more time with him, he looked like he was going to cry.

These are almost all whitewashing!? It doesn't improve a character to make them nicer. Sandor isn't a better character because he hasn't said he'd like to fuck Sansa bloody. He's weaker for not being like that.

I think the most perfectly cast character in the show has been Jaqen H'ghar. His voice IS Jaqen for me. That actor had the most amazing mystique about him.

Archived