Best change in character from book to series?

Batman

I love that TV-Cersei is not blinded by her love for Joffrey and can see as what he really is : uncontrollable. But still loves him. And does not know what to do with him. Her helplessness makes her more human, when ACOK-Cersei seemed an awful beast to me. And her scene with Tommen during the Blackwater !

And TV-Bronn is awesome. I always picture him now when reading the books.

• 1 year later...

I love Jack Gleeson so much he is making me almost like Joffrey. The last few episodes when he is bouncing around gleefully because something bad is happening to Sansa I couldn't help laughing. I still hate him though, obviously.

I love Jack Gleeson so much he is making me almost like Joffrey. The last few episodes when he is bouncing around gleefully because something bad is happening to Sansa I couldn't help laughing. I still hate him though, obviously.

I like the fact he seemed to love Robert. That little drop in the bucket of vileness that is Joffrey did something for me.

eh. I could do without them making Joffrey a psychopathic killer. He's hateable enough already... that's probably the worst thing.

Making Stannis look weak and is another thing I'm not keen on. I get the decision when I talk to my family, who haven't read the books. He comes across as an interesting character, particularly with how they've paired him even more closely with Mel.

The SECOND best change is probably Cersei, who isn't abso-gardarn-rooter-tooter unlikeable in the show like she is in the books.

The BEST change is Oona Chaplin.

Overall, they've done a magnificent job. Joffrey's my only real complaint.

I definitely like Talisa the best (from Jeyne). I like that she brings up the war's effect on nameless soldiers when he meets her, and how she (like me) disapproves of his motive for starting the war. That and her story of getting into medicine makes her a very likeable character.

-Cersei being more of a product of her environment than she is in the books.

-Theon being more sympathetic and ultimately a more tragic figure. The letter burning scene was arguably the single best change to any character the show has ever done. Encapsulated his inner turmoil perfectly, and further convinced me that Bryan Cogman should write at least half of the episodes.

-Joffrey being Westeros' Caligula, which is perfect because the two look so similar and also exemplifies the theme of the monster outgrowing the parents. Although he is definitely one of the more one-dimensional characters, I really liked the scenes with Margaery because they highlighted his underlying insecurities, which although hinted at, were never delved into in the books. It lends a shred of humanity that the character so sorely needs.

-Speaking of which, Margaery being an even more adept player of the game of thrones.

-Thoros being a more fleshed out character, with the origins of his devout belief being given a solid explanation.

-Theon being more sympathetic and ultimately a more tragic figure. The letter burning scene was arguably the single best change to any character the show has ever done. Encapsulated his inner turmoil perfectly, and further convinced me that Bryan Cogman should write at least half of the episodes.

-Joffrey being Westeros' Caligula, which is perfect because the two look so similar and also exemplifies the theme of the monster outgrowing the parents. Although he is definitely one of the more one-dimensional characters, I really liked the scenes with Margaery because they highlighted his underlying insecurities, which although hinted at, were never delved into in the books. It lends a shred of humanity that the character so sorely needs.

-Speaking of which, Margaery being an even more adept player of the game of thrones.

-Thoros being a more fleshed out character, with the origins of his devout belief being given a solid explanation.

You forgot Roose. Even without the leeches, I think he stood out more in the show so far than he did in the books right after the RW (where I believe many people didn't even notice that he was the one who finished Robb. In the books, I only started to enjoy him as a character by ADWD, but in the show he steals every scene he's in and is so fun to watch it's pretty hard not to love him. So perfectly cast, and well written as well (that scene of his with Walder Frey in 3x10 was fantastic)..

Mostly this ^, through I do wish the would allow Cersei some of her more dark acts.

Additionally, I found their Viserys much more tragic then the one in the book.

Rickon!! Couldn't have cared less about him in the books (other than future cannibal?/Lord Stark), but that little guy acted the hell out of his goodbye scene with Bran.

You forgot Roose. Even without the leeches, I think he stood out more in the show so far than he did in the books right after the RW (where I believe many people didn't even notice that he was the one who finished Robb. In the books, I only started to enjoy him as a character by ADWD, but in the show he steals every scene he's in and is so fun to watch it's pretty hard not to love him. So perfectly cast, and well written as well (that scene of his with Walder Frey in 3x10 was fantastic)..

"Forever young" is by far the best line to come out of Roose's mouth in both books and show, even better than "make me rue the day I raped your mother", so that's definitely a change for the better. But, while McElhatton has being killing it as Roose, and he's becoming more and more recognizable and entertaining, I still think they could do a better job of conveying that aura of cold malevolence that's always present around Roose. It's a minor complaint, but it adds to the guy's almost otherwordly persona.

Additionally, I found their Viserys much more tragic then the one in the book.

I never pitied Viserys and rejoiced his death in both books and show, but yeah, that scene with Jorah where he lays out his grievances over Dany being accepted as Khaleesi while he gets jackshit added a lot to the character and definitely generated a fair deal of sympathy for him. I always felt that he was a bit of a caricature in the books, so that scene was a welcome change that humanized him more.

In the HBO series, Catelyn releases Jaime because he's poorly protected in a field camp. It's clear that his presence alone is causing a lot of fighting amongst the Stark soldiers, and that if they're not careful someone will manage to kill him.

In the books, it doesn't make a ton of sense that Catelyn decides to release Jaime. It's...a bad call, on her part. But in the show, they tweak events JUST enough that Catelyn is being smart, making the best of a terrible situation.

Frankly, I accept the HBO-Jaime-release as canon, and have let it completely overwrite the book Jaime-release.

In the HBO series, Catelyn releases Jaime because he's poorly protected in a field camp. It's clear that his presence alone is causing a lot of fighting amongst the Stark soldiers, and that if they're not careful someone will manage to kill him.

In the books, it doesn't make a ton of sense that Catelyn decides to release Jaime. It's...a bad call, on her part. But in the show, they tweak events JUST enough that Catelyn is being smart, making the best of a terrible situation.

Frankly, I accept the HBO-Jaime-release as canon, and have let it completely overwrite the book Jaime-release.

but she doesn't give a shit about his safety, all she wanted at that point was to try & do all she could to get her daughters back. The book one is better because it shows you how narrow her thinking was at that time.

his scenes with Maisie are just divine. The best change from the books by far.

Indeed, a bit cliche, but perfectly fun to watch. Many of my non-book/TV-show-only friends commented on how much they like Tywin and especially these scenes. Can't say I disagree much.

Btw, the worst change is Jorah, way too handsome and charming...

Archived