Best change in character from book to series?

Batman

I expect I'll get into a bit of trouble for this from book purists, but I think they vastly improved Cersei. She's infinitely more human and believable in the show, and I love everything Lena Heady has done with that character.

The most obvious one though is Robb. I know some people didn't like that they turned him into a hero. I kinda liked it.

Tormund - I don't know if I like show Tormund at all. Book Tormund is incredibly outgoing and lively and easy-going, where as show Tormund is much more serious and grim, and ultimately not at all what I expected him to be.

I don't mean to be rude in any way, but all those who state this are missing one obvious thing: Tormund was merged with Styr, in season 3 (although the latter is now being cast). So, he got all Styr's dialogue in aSoS, while managing to become friendlier with the passing of time. So instead of "Hey, traitor crow, me member HAR me member member HAR HAR" right from the beginning, we got proper character development. How THAT is a bad change utterly escapes me.

is tyrion (although hes probably my favorite in the books too)...i had the benefit of starting the books after season 2 so fortunately i ignore the book descriptions of tyrion and just picture peter dinklage,

obviously tywin

maybe the best change is joffery, the actor does an incredibe job of making him the most hated evil bastard currently on t.v. obviously book joffery is an asshole, but the actor takes him to a new level, kid is a brilliant actor able to transform a very hateable character to that much more of a hateable character and should have a promising future

I think Tywin is definitely the best change from books to series, I hated him in the books but love him in the show, Charles Dance is a genius. I think Jorah is more interesting in the series too, but that may just be down to Iain Glen's magical voice :laugh: But other than them, and it pains me to say this, I kinda like Ramsay in the series, even though I know how much of a douche he is to Theon later on

I like how Roose is less obviously evil. Right when he was introduced in the books, I was like: "Right, so he's a villain then". There was a little more ambiguity in the show, as they showed him genuinely trying to advise Robb. I also think it was the leeches for me, just too far.

Regarding character changes, this line from ACoK has surely been brought up before?

Osha. He had suspected her from the moment he saw that second cup. I should have known better than to trust that one. She’s as unnatural as Asha. Even their names sound alike.

The show is better than the books for the most part.

I agree - for the casual viewer or the casual reader, the show is the better of the two.

For the detail-loving reader the books are better.

I'm a very visual person so I love the tv show and find that many of the characters work well in the show's world.

• 2 weeks later...

I like how Roose is less obviously evil. Right when he was introduced in the books, I was like: "Right, so he's a villain then". There was a little more ambiguity in the show, as they showed him genuinely trying to advise Robb. I also think it was the leeches for me, just too far.

Yeah the weird thing about Roose and Ramsay is that they are both so obviously wretched, with their physical characteristics being expressionistic of their evil personalities, which is something that Martin has complained about in fantasy series.

Yeah the weird thing about Roose and Ramsay is that they are both so obviously wretched, with their physical characteristics being expressionistic of their evil personalities, which is something that Martin has complained about in fantasy series.

Not to mention they come from a house which is notorious for rivalries against the Starks, and their sigil happens to be an upside-down flayed man, possibly one of the weirdest things to choose as your sigil along with one of the weirdest pastimes to pass down from generation to generation.

I think Tywin is definitely the best change from books to series, I hated him in the books but love him in the show, Charles Dance is a genius.

Amen. Charles Dance's portrayal of Tywin made me like the character also. Whenever I reread a chapter with Tywin in it, it was Mr. Dance voice, action, and looks that I imagine.

Characters Improved by the Show:

• Tywin Lannister - Charles Dance makes me like Tywin in spite of myself!
  • Tyrion Lannister - I am a fan of Tyrion in the books, but Peter Dinklage makes me like him even more (despite his atrocious accent).
  • Lord Varys - Love Varys in the books, but Conleth makes him even better. He is pure genius in this role and he has some great lines in the show.
  • Jorah Mormont - BIG improvement over the books. On my current reread I keep getting jarred by the "hairy bear" description because Iain Glen has become the character.
  • Theon Greyjoy - I despised book Theon, but I can't bring myself to hate Alfie Allen. He is the winner for Most Improved, IMO.
  • Viserys Targaryen - A close second for most improved. The character on the show is written very true to the book, but Harry Lloyd improves him somehow.

Characters Diminished by the Show:

• Roose Bolton - Just not as menacing in the show. Not icy enough IMO.
  • Stannis Baratheon - Apparently I am in the minority on this, but it seems like humor and hardness are both lost on the show. Not Stephen Dillane's fault, but the writing...
  • Margaery Tyrell - I can't stand sexy, savvy TV Margaery with her "hey, should we get my brother in here to help things along" attitude. Very HBO.
  • Jojen Reed - I just like book Jojen better. TV Jojen seems too modern.

Perfection:

• Ned Stark = Sean Bean
  • Arya Stark = Maisie Williams
  • Jon Snow = Kit Harington
  • Jaime Lannister = Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
  • Cersei Lannister = Lena Headey
  • Danaerys Targaryen = Emilia Clarke
  • Petyr Baelish = Aidan Gillen
  • Walder Frey = David Bradely (Filch!)
  • Grand Maester Pycelle = Julian Glover
  • Jaqen H'ghar = Tom Wlaschiha

i agree with you here. My biggest objection the show was the change in storylines & adding the deplorable Talisa.

I am happy that Brienne has not been mutilated & love what they are doing with her on the show.

Huge complaint is Mance Ryder--terrible casting & they eliminated his fantastic story

Archived