Best change in character from book to series?

Batman

Regarding character changes, this line from ACoK has surely been brought up before?

Osha. He had suspected her from the moment he saw that second cup. I should have known better than to trust that one. She’s as unnatural as Asha. Even their names sound alike.

Wow! You have a sharp eye.

George wrote that?!

I can't see D and D having noticed it, but maybe they did, Bryan seems the likely one.

Well, on the page, I had no problem keeping Asha and Osha apart.

Here nearly three years on an I still don't understand the change, when many of the unsullied claim they don't which character is what!

Would have thought they might have changed Tywin and Tyrion's names so to keep them from getting mixed up!!!!!!!!

I disagree with the premise of this thread.

If the teleplay writers, and George is one of them, had written the character exactly as in the books and you then hire the best actor you can find to play the role, that actor is going to bring a dimension to the character that is inescapable.

Just look at great actors that do Shakespeare , each brings talent and craft to the role that does not exist on the page.

Only the words stay the same (usually!).

However, that's just what The Bard of Avon would have wanted.

I'm actually loving that they've Cersei much more human, especially consider The Purple Wedding. Now obviously people will cheer to get rid of that little shit Joffrey, but a big part of the event will also be a basic human tragedy: a mother having her oldest child die in her arms. I know Lena Heady will do a stunning job, and hopefully the TV audience's happiness of Joffrey's death will be somewhat balanced out with pity for Cersei. Such a pity would be impossible if show-Cersei was a big a bitch as her book counterpart.

I hope for the PW they give a nod to Tyrion's realisation that Joffrey, despite being a massive cunt, is still just a thirteen-year-old boy (or seventeen or whatever in the show). Just have Peter Dinklage do a look of mild pity or something. It would be nice and build on the scene with Joff at Robert's deathbed in s1.

I think I like Theon even better in the show. I loved how they added that scene where he writes then burns a letter to Robb and when he says Ned was his real father. Maybe he is my favorite show character while he is my second favorite in the books (Sansa is number one but I don't like her show version as much).

Osha! I just love the scene when see argues with Meera Reed on which is the quickest way to flay a rabbit. (GRR Martin said that he liked HBO's version of Osha more than his own) Also, Tywin as stated above especially the conversations with Arya Stark. =)

tywin vs roose. the danger was real, it was a hell of a lot more plausible (Seriously, roose fails to recognize his liege's sprog and a girl to boot) and Arya and tywin both get fleshed out (Tywin shows a more human side and we learn about his upbringing earlier, Arya learns that things aren't so black and white while gaining badass cred for bluffing the most dangerous man in the kingdom and earning respect in the process. She's the first person to stare him down successfully.

tywin vs roose. the danger was real, it was a hell of a lot more plausible (Seriously, roose fails to recognize his liege's sprog and a girl to boot) and Arya and tywin both get fleshed out (Tywin shows a more human side and we learn about his upbringing earlier, Arya learns that things aren't so black and white while gaining badass cred for bluffing the most dangerous man in the kingdom and earning respect in the process. She's the first person to stare him down successfully.

Bolton had no reason to even think that Arya would be around (and doesn't appear to have really interacted with her in the past).

Tywin's involvement is far more unrealistic in that respect, seeing as he deduces that Arya is a Northern noblegirl, but evidently doesn't find this at all worth looking into, and completely forgets about her after. Like, when he arrived in King's Landing and learned that Arya was actually gone, did he have a "d'oh!" moment?

Bolton had no reason to even think that Arya would be around (and doesn't appear to have really interacted with her in the past).

Tywin's involvement is far more unrealistic in that respect, seeing as he deduces that Arya is a Northern noblegirl, but evidently doesn't find this at all worth looking into, and completely forgets about her after. Like, when he arrived in King's Landing and learned that Arya was actually gone, did he have a "d'oh!" moment?

Somebody around here theorized that Roose was aware of Arya being a highborn girl. For example, he smiles when she says "my lord", and in ADWD, he corrects Theon when he says "my lord", saying that he should pronounce it as "m'lord" to appear as a commoner.

“Ten, my lord,” he reminded her. “Are you fond of animals?”

“Some kinds. My lord.”

A thin smile twitched across his lips. “But not lions, it would seem. Nor manticores.”

M’lord.” Bolton’s lips parted just enough to show a quarter inch of teeth. It might have been a smile.

He did not understand. “My lord? I said—”

"—my lord, when you should have said m’lord. Your tongue betrays your birth with every word you say. If you want to sound a proper peasant, say it as if you had mud in your mouth, or were too stupid to realize it was two words, not just one.”

Roose might well have known that Arya was a highborn, and might have even had plans for her. Too bad we'll never know if he deduced her identity or not.

As for Tywin being unrealistic, I dunno , people often will tell way more to a total stranger than to someone they know. As for not caring about Arya's nobility, he had bigger fish to fry and figured if she slipped up she'd be killed. Don't know if he had an "awww hell" moment when he found out about Arya's disappearance from KL.

There are characters I like more and characters I like for different reasons, if not necessarily "better."

Tywin, Jorah, Yara, Bronn, Joffrey, Davos, Margaery, Gendry, Thoros, and Cersei I hands down like more in the show.

Sandor is much more internal but I like his gruff snark and physical presence...sometimes miss how emotional book!Sandor was. I miss the relationship between him and Sansa.

Theon is about equal. I love how in the book you had to read between the lines and realize how much he was trying to convince himself. Show Theon is flat-out amazing...I felt way more sorry than pissy at his shenanigans.

Jaime = NCW. 'nough said.

Loras misses out on some of his...I dunno, heroicness, but I love Finn Jones' expressions. He feels more a part of things than in the books.

Stannis. Ugggh, I waffle. I really love the actor's voice and posture, and the decision to put him in the thick of battle was awesome. But I dislike how much of Melisandre's bitch they make him. One of the few changes that made me want to flip a table was Mel being the one who convinced him to go north, not his own mind.

I think for the most part the tv show does a great job at making a lot of character better. Like good characters from the book mostly stay the same, but some are done better(i.e. Theon and Tywin). However, sometimes they ruin characters, like Stannis. Or whitewash too much(like Tyrion)

Archived