Best change in character from book to series?

Batman

Is it just me or is Roose having a lot of uncomfortable eye contact with 'Talisa' every time they cross paths coming and going from Robb's tent? Does this feed the conspiracy theory that the Westerlings trapped Robb with malice aforethought into breaking his agreement with the Freys?

He's definitely there every time she interrupts but I think it's more to set up him becoming fed up and coming to believe that Robb is putting Talisa ahead of the war effort.

I feel like I've said this before but Stannis is different from in the books, in a good way.

5. Sam. I don't know why, but I like TV-Sam better than book-Sam; maybe it's the voice, which is rather musical.

Honestly I didn't care much for Sam until this season and his line "I can't steal her, she's a person not a goat." Something about the actor being so earnest just sold me on him. I also think it's his enthusiasm, it comes across better in the series I think.

I made the mistake of watching the first season before I started reading the books, so when I visualize the characters faces in the books all I see are the actors.

As to the characters, I love how Series Stannis led the first charge in Battle for the Blackwater, literally chopping men in two. In the books he was considered a brilliant battle strategist who lead the battle from the rear. What a role reversal.

I really disliked how series Tywin was given such a sympathetic turn by the writers. Book Tywin was almost amoral in his approach to dispensing ultra-violence in order to handle any threats, both real and imagined. To me, Series Tywin is portrayed as the "tough but fair" grandfatherly type.

I think that the writing on the show has really watered down most of the characters, but that's just what happens when books go to TV. However, I think most of the actors have done all they could to make it work. Especially Lena Headey as Cersei. In the books she comes off as much more two dimensional without much moral ambiguity. Tywin is also great in the series, and I loved all the stuff with him and Arya *(except when they toned down Arya's violence by not having her kill the guard). I just hope that her scene with the Hound in the tavern doesn't get the same treatment...

They couldn't have gotten a better Littlefinger.

Tyrion - I feel like Peter Dinklage has been awesome, but the writing has really weakend Tyrion. The whole seige of King's Landing / Blackwater - in the books he's the mastermind of the whole thing, in the tv show Cersei and Bronn seem to have as much to do with the strategy as Tyrion does. In the show all he does is decide to put the wildfire in the water.

Stannis - I guess giving him a sword and having him go all Rambo was the only way to show that even though he lost the battle, he's still a military threat and a man to be reckoned with.

Roose - I'm not liking what they've done with him at all. I have only seen up to season 2 episode 9, so I know that a lot still hasn't happened, but he's just some kind of clever looking ally of Robb's in the show. What about the leechings? And he actually has a little personality and charisma in the show... what's up with that? He's supposed to have no feelings whatsoever.. I saw him as more of a so much of a zombie and without emotion that it's creepy type villain.

Danaerys - instead of having her dragons get kidnapped, couldn't they have just sped up her entire plot-line and had her conquering Astapor already? Given, I've haven't seen the last episode yet but the House of the Undying and Drogon saving her was one of the best scenes in her entire character arc, I can't imagine here going in there alone, or even worse, with Jorah, to 'rescue' here dragons. And now I guess we're missing out on the Irri sex scenes with her dead? Or is Doreah just going to stand in? The Seven help us.

Tyrion - I feel like Peter Dinklage has been awesome, but the writing has really weakend Tyrion. The whole seige of King's Landing / Blackwater - in the books he's the mastermind of the whole thing, in the tv show Cersei and Bronn seem to have as much to do with the strategy as Tyrion does. In the show all he does is decide to put the wildfire in the water.

I totally agree. Peter Dinklage gives Tyrion what I can only describe as swag, and he was by far the best thing about season one, but the writing has damaged him in season two. I mean, who did it benefit to take away his wildfire idea?

I think that most of the major characters that arent POVs in the first books have been improved during the tv series, Tywin and Varys in particular. In the books much of what you learn of Tywin is from his children who generally have less than positive feeling towards him. During the series you see him from an unbiased point of view and so he becomes a much more human character, i loved the scenes with him and Arya where he let a more human side come through. A similar reason can given for the improvement of most the other non-POV tv characters as biased views of many of the POVs is removed allowing the other characters to become more rounded with more back story during the tv created scenes.

I enjoy Tywin in the series much more so than the books. He's just a devious jerk in the books who doesn't seem to love anyone, but Charles Dance does a magnificent job of turning him into a human, with human feelings. He's still an asshole, but with a wistful quality about him that I like.

Ned and his honor bored the everloving hell out of me in the books, but in the series he won me over because of my deep and abiding love for Sean Bean.

I like what they've done with Stannis, ditto Tywin.

Also, I didnt think this was possible, but Peter Dinklage's Tyrion is staggeringly epic...

Other than that, I honestly am more annoyed with Dany's character after the series than before. (Also something that I thought was impossible).

Roose hasn't done that much, but I like that he's much less of an obvious villain. Frankly, anyone that didn't see Roose betraying Robb from the start is not very bright, to say the least: the guy is incredibly sinister, sends only soldiers that aren't his to die, the name of his castle is the Dreadfort, his family had 300 rebellions against the Starks and flayed some of them alive, etc, etc. Just too much of an obvious villain.

If the show does that, nobody will be nominated. None of characters has screen time enough to be nominated in leading, and in fact most have much less than the other actors nominated as supporting.

Well, I disagree, but not strenuously. Last season, I would have understood a best actor nomination for Sean Bean, and a best supporting actor nomination for Peter Dinklage. This year, Peter Dinklage should have received a best actor nomination, with people like Charles Dance receiving best supporting actor nominations. Nominating actors in both the best actor and best supporting actor categories would allow HBO to nominate more actors and give actors who do not appear as often, but who are have really added to their characters, an opportunity to receive an accolade.

I have stated earlier in this thread that Charles Dance has really made me like Tywin as a character and that Iain Glen just makes Jorah Mormont better all around. After watching Episode 9 again, people in the room with me voted for Jerome Flynn's Bronn.

It's Cersei to me who was a wonderful surprise in Episode 9. The drunk Cersei with her realistic, cynical and desperate advice to Sansa, opening up about her despair, and Mother Lion with that earnest and wonderful Tommen.....

And then there is Tyrion! I do not expect Dinklage to be other that just great, so I was not really surprised but he was sooo good, his facial expressions, his sarcasm.... Did you see how he first felt kind of disappointed at Bronn's "Are we friends now?" and how he hid it with a quick and cynic answer, everything shown within half a second. So far the darker abysses of his soul have not been highlighted but Dinklage will be great here as well.

And that talk "Lancel, tell the king...." lol (apart from that, the Lancel actor, Joffrey and Sandor were great too). We all know Dinklage is too handsome and his facial wound did neither look dangerous nor disfiguring enough - but then, would I want Dinklage's facial expressions handicapped!?

Rory McCann and Sophie Turner did a very fine job in Episode 9, in fact I like the new HBO Sansa far better by now than book Sansa, that little girl so far is simply not interesting enough. Only there is the danger now that Sansa is getting too flawless, Miss Perfect without any darker side, praying all day long.

The Bronn actor was just wonderfully dirty.

I will always love Emilia Clarke and Ian Glen is best, i do not care if he looks different from the book character, he is also much more reflective and refined, not a bear at all - but I like it.

And Charles Dance - owns every minute he is on screen. The stag skinning scene when he reduced Jaime to an adolescent boy.... I am so much looking forward to his interactions with Dinklage!

I think that most of the major characters that arent POVs in the first books have been improved during the tv series, Tywin and Varys in particular. In the books much of what you learn of Tywin is from his children who generally have less than positive feeling towards him. During the series you see him from an unbiased point of view and so he becomes a much more human character, i loved the scenes with him and Arya where he let a more human side come through. A similar reason can given for the improvement of most the other non-POV tv characters as biased views of many of the POVs is removed allowing the other characters to become more rounded with more back story during the tv created scenes.

It's funny you mentioned that you like Tywin being more "humanized" because I feel the exact opposite way. While I understand that the Series is not supposed to be an exact rendition of the book, it just seems to me that the writers have "humanized" Tywin too much. Book Tywin was arrogant, cruel, vindictive and malicious. Thus, I don't want to be conflicted when Tyrion kills him with the crossbow, I want to feel that the man got what he deserved. Just my opinion.

I think that Roose hasn't been done as well as he might have, but he's on the right track. There's a reason that he's there every time that Talisa bursts in.

I like that Tywin is humanized. It doesn't take anything away from his character's terrible actions. Next season he can be just as sadistic towards Tyrion as he ever was. He may even kill Shae, since it's becoming harder and harder to buy TV Shae acting like Book Shae.

Yara is also nicer in her last scene, even if we didn't get to see her fighting skills.

Robb is definitely better in the show than in the books - I will definitely be more sad when he dies in the show than when i read the Red Wedding chapter in the books.

Viserys was truly mad in the show, I loved every moment he was on screen.

Jorah isn't necessarily better in the show than in the book....its just that Iain Glenn is gorgeous. le sigh

Also, while I love Varys in the books, the TV Varys is such a cunning boss. I love his dynamic with Tyrion. Beyond perfect

Yeah definitely Tywin, Charles Dance is just brilliant.

THIS

his scenes with Maisie are just divine. The best change from the books by far.

and i love Osha from the series too... and i never really cared for the character in the books

Archived