Finished Feast for Crows

Retoreance Stone

So finished the book and I have to say it did get much better toward the end. But I can't help but feel like Mr. Martin stopped the bus in the middle of the trip. I read his note at the end and can understand why he had to, but it still feels like a bit of a rough landing.

Im just glad I don't have to wait long (two weeks untill next payday!) I can only imagine how early readers must have felt!

I thought the story picked up around half way through the book, and the last 6 chapters or so were brilliant. A lot of the chapters, to me, felt like filler and were far too meaningless. Why AFFC had to pick up immediately after ASOS I'll never know. It does almost seem like since his decision to separate the book in two, GRRM kept every single word just because he could now. Its almost like the editing process was scrapped because now he had 1000 pages to fill with whatever he wanted. I think this book could have benefitted from a lot of editing, and while I'm not through ADWD yet, who knows know maybe he could have combined the two books into a ASOS- like 1200 pages.

Overall, I still liked this book, although it is possibly the least of the four so far.

Appart from Brienne's chapters and the boring 'A day in the life of Cersie' ones I enjoyed the book; more of an interesting book rather than an exciting one, seeing which houses gained and lost in the war.

I feel like I spend most of my time on the forums defending Feast, because I feel like in terms of the quality of the writing, it's some of Martin's finest work. (No, I'm not talking about fat pink masts or myrish swamps... :stillsick: ) I thought the Dorne chapters, on the whole, were very well written, and Septon Merribald's 'Broken Men' monologue is just sublime. Also, Cersei's chapters are HILARIOUS, and Jaime had cemented himself as a firm favourite of mine by the end of the fourth book.

When I picked up Feast I was expecting the worst, because I'd seen so many people describe it as a chore or whatnot, and so I was really pleasantly surprised. In contrast to Storm it's probably less exciting or something but that's to be expected, seeing as Storm saw the end of the War of the Five Kings, hence the following book's title.

I can't defend the Damphair's chapters because they were boring as can be. But the rest of the book was brilliant. I didn't have to wait 5 years for it though, so I fully understand why those who did disliked it.

I actually really liked it, but it takes some getting used to after the first three books. It's basically easy listening compared to ASOS, which was non-stop high octane rock. In ASOS, every other chapter something monumental was happening.

I think it does a good job of setting the stage; it gave me some history that I didn't have, and a real appreciation for the level of detail that Martin has gone to in creating this imaginary world/history. It's the book that has the most highlights/notes for me, and the most questions.

I feel like I spend most of my time on the forums defending Feast...

You are not alone with that feeling.

Damphair and the greyjoys have their fans as well. Did you notice the child abuse? I think the sense of cultural change washing over the islands is well done too.

I feel like I spend most of my time on the forums defending Feast, because I feel like in terms of the quality of the writing, it's some of Martin's finest work. (No, I'm not talking about fat pink masts or myrish swamps... :stillsick: ) I thought the Dorne chapters, on the whole, were very well written, and Septon Merribald's 'Broken Men' monologue is just sublime. Also, Cersei's chapters are HILARIOUS, and Jaime had cemented himself as a firm favourite of mine by the end of the fourth book.

When I picked up Feast I was expecting the worst, because I'd seen so many people describe it as a chore or whatnot, and so I was really pleasantly surprised. In contrast to Storm it's probably less exciting or something but that's to be expected, seeing as Storm saw the end of the War of the Five Kings, hence the following book's title.

I can't defend the Damphair's chapters because they were boring as can be. But the rest of the book was brilliant. I didn't have to wait 5 years for it though, so I fully understand why those who did disliked it.

If I read through it again I'll probably like them more, just the fact that I had no idea who these people were and it took a while for me to have an opinion on any of them.

You are not alone with that feeling.

Damphair and the greyjoys have their fans as well. Did you notice the child abuse? I think the sense of cultural change washing over the islands is well done too.

Ah yes, the creaking door... I actually didn't notice it at first but the Podcasters of Ice and Fire brought my attention to its meaning... Initially, I hated all of the ironborn, but Asha and Victarion kinda won me over after a few rereads so perhaps Aeron will get the same treatment can't see that happening, but I respect the fact that some people like him (but what is there to like?) the Iron Islands are basically my least favourite place to read about but I won't deny that they have a distinct, immensely bleak feel to them that really does set them apart. In contrast, I much preferred Dorne...

If I read through it again I'll probably like them more, just the fact that I had no idea who these people were and it took a while for me to have an opinion on any of them.

Well, I loved the Dornish from the get-go, they really are an interesting bunch, so I hope you find them more captivating next time around :) Areo Hotah isn't a particularly inspirational character but he does give great insight in life in Dorne. And for some bizarre reason Arianne is one of my favourite characters, even though in real life I hate people like her :dunno:

I think it does a good job of setting the stage; it gave me some history that I didn't have, and a real appreciation for the level of detail that Martin has gone to in creating this imaginary world/history. It's the book that has the most highlights/notes for me, and the most questions.

Yeah, I think Martin did a brilliant job in outlining the aftermath of the War of the Five Kings, and simultaneously showcasing the faultlines that remained and will inevitably plunge the realm into war again. It's a very interesting and much more subtle book, and expands Martin's world cleverly.

I think calling Feast a weak book is very unfair, and I'm glad some people agree.

I'm re-reading Feast right now and I have to say, it is by far the most politically intriguing book. I've yet to read A Dance of Dragons but only because no store within a thirty mile radius of me has it.

Brienne's chapters, I'll admit, were somewhat weak, but I absolutely loved the Ironborn chapters. Asha seems like a whiny little git but they were once one of the Seven Kingdoms, if I remember right, and it seems that Feast is setting up for Winds of Winter, where we'll see the true ramifications of the Kingsmoot.

Jamie Lannister has also become one of my favorites. Cersei is always fun to read because she's so bat-shit crazy.

However, my favorite thing about Feast is the introduction of a number of dynamic characters. I think this is why Brienne's chapters are so difficult to read, because she is very much a static character - she never changes, at least not in a significant way. Jamie loses a hand and all of a sudden the closeness that he and Cersei shared is all but gone. He's forced to completely reconsider his life, and makes a lot of drastic changes in order to improve his lot in life. Jamie had everything handed to him, he was great at everything, and even Brienne said that no one could stand against him in his prime. When a warrior, bred for battle, cannot fight, the real war has only begun for him. Jamie is in the midst of a life-changing event in Feast, which for me is cooler than any battle scene.

Martin crafts his characters brilliantly in all his books, but he puts a major emphasis on them in Feast. That's why I love this book so much.

I've just finished reading AFFC and even though I was warned that it would be a dull read, I must say that I found it quite good. I went through it quite quickly. I find ACOC much more boring (e.g. Jon going through ice and snow is much more boring to me than a regular Cercei's day). Even though the book misses some of my favorite characters, it has some brilliant chapters and plot points (chapters of Jaime, Sansa & Littlefinger, Sam, Cercei and to some extent Arya). Also we finally got to see a part of Dorne, which was kinda missing in the first three novels in order for a reader to get a complete picture of Westeros. I didn't much care for the developments of the ironborn (although, I do seem to like Victarion the best, and his quest might prove to be more interesting), but I guess their share of the story is also important to the overall experience.

All in all, I'm satisfied and, seeing as I'm having very high expectations of ADWD (word of mouth), I think AFFC has set a good basis for it.

I actually like the book and I'm 500 or so pages into it now. It a nice change from the last book in the sense of the twists/turns and big events and this one is a iittle quieter. It covers the other parts of realm that weren't written about. The Dorne chapters are favourites(for me) by far. It was nice to see Kevan Lannister stand up to Cersei.

I actually like the book and I'm 500 or so pages into it now. It a nice change from the last book in the sense of the twists/turns and big events and this one is a iittle quieter. It covers the other parts of realm that weren't written about. The Dorne chapters are favourites(for me) by far. It was nice to see Kevan Lannister stand up to Cersei.

It felt like a much smoother ride from ASOS, didn't it? And then at the very end, we're hit with Lady Stoneheart. I had to go back and reread it - I was just astounded....I never saw that one coming.

It was nice to see Kevan Lannister stand up to Cersei.

I loved this. I was thinking 'about damn time.' Also what we hear about him being invited to rule the realm in the last Cersei chapter is potentially a major plot point.

It's a much subtler book and I think that displays Martin's talent: he can write the high-octane, thrilling epic fantasty that was ASOS excellently, and follow it up with a clever slow burning epic fantasty like Feast, also excellently.

It felt like a much smoother ride from ASOS, didn't it? And then at the very end, we're hit with Lady Stoneheart. I had to go back and reread it - I was just astounded....I never saw that one coming.

Neither did I see that comiing nor did Brienne...I hope we find out what happens to her.

Archived