A Certain Wedding (MEGASPOILERS)

Christopher

Was anyone absolutely devastated when Walder Frey betrayed and killed Robb and Catelyn? I had to quit reading after that chapter for awhile. Call me blind but I never saw it coming. I guess I should have been suspicious when Grey Wind got frisky but I was shocked nonetheless. I know this isn't your typical fantasy story but do you have to rip my heart out and proceed to stomp on it continuously?

Was anyone absolutely devastated when Walder Frey betrayed and killed Robb and Catelyn? I had to quit reading after that chapter for awhile. Call me blind but I never saw it coming. I guess I should have been suspicious when Grey Wind got frisky but I was shocked nonetheless. I know this isn't your typical fantasy story but do you have to rip my heart out and proceed to stomp on it continuously?

Funny thing is I never realized that Grey Wind sensed something was wrong. I figured the direwolf was just acting up again around strangers. I mean, just look at Shaggydog...

I was shocked at the enormity of the betrayal, but I really wasn't surprised that Frey had it in him. Looking at his characterization, it did look like that he was a scummy enough entity to commit to such a thing. In hindsight, it wasn't a question of whether he'd betray Robb Stark, but how.

Also, I never realized that the "man in a pink cloak" who stabbed Robb was Roose. I mean, all the details had been seeded, how Roose went around in a cape described like that, but it didn't seem to click. It didn't feel right that one of Robb's own bannermen would betray him, which is why it didn't register at first.

And then Tywin says Roose Bolton was in on it, and then I knew. I wasn't really stunned, but I felt bad. I liked Roose.

I was also devastated by the red wedding. It's always felt like the Starks are the heart of the story - the house that you are supposed to root for. I couldn't believe it when Ned got killed in the first book, either. And now Robb and Cat? Guess I better get used to my favorite characters getting killed. Can't wait to find out what happened to Arya!

I wasn't devasted more surpised killing off Robb and Cat like that but it was nicely done and it became such a major event and turning point in the series. However I admit Robb was never going to win the war against the Lannisters in my opinion, he messed that all up when he didn't marry the Frey girl and I never liked liked Cat anyway since she always had too high an opinion of herself.

I wasn't that surprised by how the Red Wedding happened. Of course it was hard to predict that Robb (and Catelyn) would be murdered at the wedding feast of his own uncle, by one of his own bannerman. By the way, it was really stupid to kill Catelyn, as she could be used to make a bigger pact between the Freys and the Lannisters by selling her to the Lannisters. She would make a good hostage, as she was a Tully and a "Stark". But despite all this, the Red Wedding or another thing would have to happen anyways to exterminate Robb and his army, because the House Stark probably won't take place in the war for the Iron Throne, which for me has been turning into a very clear idea since the second book, so it seems right for House Stark (or at least understandable) to be fading and dying out. These things just link up very perfectly with the plot, they make total sense to me.

Loved all the little hints GRRM littered throughout the texts, the ones at the wedding in particular. Grey Wind's agitation as you mentioned, the rubbish musicians, the bride crying as she's carried off to bed. It all hit me as soon as it hit Cat. What an amazing, horrifying section of the series.

I was upset, no, devastated, when Walder Frey betrayed and killed Robb and Cat. What got me so mad (I threw my book across the room.) Grey Wind's head sewn onto Robb's body, ick. :crying: Lady is dead and now Grey Wind. A lesson to be learn, listen to your Direwolf. Death to all Frey's.

I was devastated, had to stop reading for a bit. I knew that Robb would die eventually, I had read that, but did not know the way it would happen or who would do it... I was expecting it to be in a battle or something. Knowing that Catelyn dies thinking all of her sons are dead makes it worse aswell.

I hope to god Roose and the Frey's (apart from Olyvar) get some tragic deaths before the end of the series.

i did have tears in my eyes when i stopped reading, but it was mostly because of Arya, since i thought that the hound had killed her. also, for me, the strongest part of the scene was when Catelyn talked to Lord Frey with his halfwit son as hostage, and to see that she didn`t hesitate to kill him when they killed Robb. that was epic, and i really admired her more for it. the starks so far get beaten up, betrayed and no one really dies or is punished by it, and that gets frustrating, at least for me. i do hope that arya becomes a perfect killer to avenge them all, haha

I actually cried...I'm a grown woman with 2 little kids and they are asking me why are you crying>>>they killed the king of the north my children. and winter is coming ....I guess I should've known the good guys never win in this series. I am now rooting for the HOUND...for whatever his purpose is.

I hate the Freys.

It was a devastating chapter. Not so much as the shock effect but the way it was written is excellent. Very ominous and for a while I sympathized with Cat. I didn't like Cat much before this and I'm a bit indifferent to Robb in general, but I was so sad for Arya seeing that she came so close.

I knew things were not going to be good as soon as Robb betrayed the Freys. I was totally on pins and needles just like Cat. I loved all the foreshadowing though:

- the band being bad

- the bride crying and frightened

- the food being gross

- Greywind acting up

- The fact that Olyvar and some other young Freys were missing

- (my personal favorite) Sandor Clegane kept referring to it as the "bloody wedding" and "your bloody brother"

I really hope there is some justice later. I keep noting how often the guest right is brought up. Particularly of note is the Bran chapter in the Nightfort where he talks about the Rat Cook. In the Rat Cook story, the punishment wasn't for the other atrocious acts, but for violating the guest right. Another example is Jaimie. He violated the guest right when he pushed Bran out the window and later got his hand cut off.

I knew things were not going to be good as soon as Robb betrayed the Freys. I was totally on pins and needles just like Cat. I loved all the foreshadowing though:

- the band being bad

- the bride crying and frightened

- the food being gross

- Greywind acting up

- The fact that Olyvar and some other young Freys were missing

- (my personal favorite) Sandor Clegane kept referring to it as the "bloody wedding" and "your bloody brother"

I really hope there is some justice later. I keep noting how often the guest right is brought up. Particularly of note is the Bran chapter in the Nightfort where he talks about the Rat Cook. In the Rat Cook story, the punishment wasn't for the other atrocious acts, but for violating the guest right. Another example is Jaimie. He violated the guest right when he pushed Bran out the window and later got his hand cut off.

Very good point with Jaime. Made a cripple, became a cripple. Did not think of it in that way, Thanks for that.

Funny thing is I never realized that Grey Wind sensed something was wrong. I figured the direwolf was just acting up again around strangers. I mean, just look at Shaggydog...

I was shocked at the enormity of the betrayal, but I really wasn't surprised that Frey had it in him. Looking at his characterization, it did look like that he was a scummy enough entity to commit to such a thing. In hindsight, it wasn't a question of whether he'd betray Robb Stark, but how.

Also, I never realized that the "man in a pink cloak" who stabbed Robb was Roose. I mean, all the details had been seeded, how Roose went around in a cape described like that, but it didn't seem to click. It didn't feel right that one of Robb's own bannermen would betray him, which is why it didn't register at first.

And then Tywin says Roose Bolton was in on it, and then I knew. I wasn't really stunned, but I felt bad. I liked Roose.

I just re read the discussion between Jaime and Roose Bolton at Harrenhal when Jaime promised to give his regards to Tywin and asked Bolton to send his regards to Robb. Now I think Jaime had NO idea of the Red Wedding and Bolton was indulging in a little joke to himself when he stabbed Robb.

Like someone said earlier, the Starks are the heart of A Game of Thrones. Without them, everything just seems...different. I don't mind Bran and Sansa..but I really preferred Robb and Catelyn. Rickon doesn't interest me and Arya is kind of annoying. (No offense to anyone, but that's just what I feel from these characters.)

Archived