Theories on Lightbringer

Swordsaint

I have several:

1. Mellisandre cures Jon's wounds making the two of them pretty close friends, but her dishonest glamour's make her enemies with Stannis. After all he's gone through believing he's Azor Ahai, that's understandable. Jon ends up having to kill Stannis to save Mellisandre forging the real Lightbringer with his royal blood.

2. There is something about Oathkeeper.... feel free to go crazy here. I have too many idea's of what could happen between Riverrun, The Wall, and all the characters in-between.

I could see Oathkeeper or Widow wail being Lightbringer or at least part of it, if Ice was the first Ice. but its not, I think they said it was made sometime in the last 1000 years.

Doesnt Jon have to get something from the Stark crypt, might it be the first Ice? and if so...

I always thought it was Dawn in the crypt, and that would be Lightbringer

I'm still holding on to my suspiscion, formed quite early, that the Lightbringer prophecy could be metaphorical, and may be fulfilled by Dany's dragons. I have to admit, however, that enough doubt has been cast on the whole Azor Ahai/Promised Prince prophecy that I am sort of expecting a real flaming sword to settle the question, at this point.

If, then, we assume that the Lightbringer is to be the same actual sword from the last Otherpocalypse, I like Dawn or perhaps Blackfyre (what happened to this sword after the Blackfyre Rebellion?) for the role, although who knows? There's reasons to believe a lot of different people might be Azor Ahai, or the Prince yada yada, or one of the three heads of the dragon. Lightbringer could be Caggo Corpsekiller's valyrian arakh, for all I know.

Of course, there is perhaps a possibility that it is not the sword, but the wielder and the act of being "reborn" as Azor Ahai (whatever that ends up meaning) that is important. For instance, if Jon Snow should happen to be Azor Ahai, and if he is about to be Melisurrected, maybe death will have to pay for life again. If a sword ends up being involved, there just so happens to be valyrian steel close at hand. If that is even important.

If the lightbringer is not NW, then it has to be Longclaw IMO. Why read so much about it, and why would GRRM make Mormont give his family sword to Jon if it's not gonna do sth. I think it should have a better use than slaying Qhorin Halfhand.

I so agree but don't wanna be the flaming Jon supporter here. Many will flay us for even having mentioned it.

If the lightbringer is not NW

Oooooooooooh...

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out which sword you were referring to. But you're referring to the Night's Watch. I like this theory, though I do hope the crows manage to shape up soon, if this is the case.

Oooooooooooh...

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out which sword you were referring to. But you're referring to the Night's Watch. I like this theory, though I do hope the crows manage to shape up soon, if this is the case.

Yeah it's Night's Watch. Apple Martini had this theory, and wrote it somewhere with ample evidence, and I do think it's logical. When Jon is resurrected/rebirthed I think they might become devoted to him, like the way BwB was to Dondarrion (though I don't ink Mel will resurrect him), though we can't know right now as there is no evidence.

Hasn't Martin said in an interview or an SSM that Dawn is at Starfall waiting for its next bearer?

Yes, Ned returned Dawn to Starfall after the ToJ and, assumedly, it is still there waiting for the next SotM to be named.

Sorry. I'm having a brain fart. What is NW?

Nights Watch.

Some Possibilities:

1) NW: Apple Martini's excellent thread about it.

2) Oathkeeper: fits the AA legend and is currently near Gendry who learnt how to forge from The one guy who can still re-forge Valyrian steel and could soon be reforged again after being tempered in the heart of a Lion.

3) Dragons: because they are fire made flesh

Jon:

Rhaegar had 3 kids....Lyanna = Nissa Nissa, died giving birth to Jon (light bringer).

I don't think the prophecy has to be taken at face value. AA describes a figure that forged something that saved humanity in the long night. Jon seems pretty freaking dedicated to saving westeros from the impending long night and the shit that comes along with it. And the order of events between Rhaegar trying to birth three dragon heads. I think he got that one wrong, but for the reason of fulfilling a different prophecy...the one he was right on all along...that he was AA. He unknowingly sacrificed the hypothetical love of his life (he chose Lyanna, was forced to marry Elia) with the creation of LB (or Jon).

Jon:

Rhaegar had 3 kids....Lyanna = Nissa Nissa, died giving birth to Jon (light bringer).

I don't think the prophecy has to be taken at face value. AA describes a figure that forged something that saved humanity in the long night. Jon seems pretty freaking dedicated to saving westeros from the impending long night and the shit that comes along with it. And the order of events between Rhaegar trying to birth three dragon heads. I think he got that one wrong, but for the reason of fulfilling a different prophecy...the one he was right on all along...that he was AA. He unknowingly sacrificed the hypothetical love of his life (he chose Lyanna, was forced to marry Elia) with the creation of LB (or Jon).

This is the first time I see this theory but I really liked it. I wish we knew more of the reasons that led Rhaegar to believe himself the prince that was promised.

This is the first time I see this theory but I really liked it. I wish we knew more of the reasons that led Rhaegar to believe himself the prince that was promised.

There was some great discussion about this in the "Less Examined Bits of the AA Prophesy" thread. Really really good stuff to consider.

Yeah, although I still think it will be the dragons, I like the idea that Lightbringer is three people: Dany, Tyrion and Jon (although Dany and Tyrion have suffered a lot more due to their mothers dying in childbirth than Jon ever did).

I think the idea of three people resembling the holy trinity as lightbringer is interesting but am not sure where the wielder part is going tp play out. Maybe Bran?

Makes more sense to me if the dragons are lightbringer and Dany, Jon and Tyrion are the wielders as the three heads of the dragons.

Though I prefer the idea of The Night's Watch.

Archived