2013 Reading Self-Challenge Thread

Inigima

61/75 for me. I feel pretty good about myself, since my original goal was 50 and I've upped it twice.

If only kids' books counted. Or school books. Then I would really be unstoppable. :P

Well, I have two toddlers so I read to them daily, over and over again. If us parents of small kids in this thread counted those as proper reads and rereads, our numbers would be astronomical.

I'm also an elementary school teacher. There's a fair amount of reading that goes with the job. :)

(And since I was given the sixth graders this year and I haven't worked with that age group in almost ten years, there's a lot of refreshing to be done on my Math and Science/Geography/History/Whatever skills.)

I'm at 34/40. Still ahead of schedule, although I doubt I'll beat it by much. Maybe I can get to 45, we'll see.

The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness by Elyn Saks. This is a memoir about a woman with schizophrenia, who's life collapsed under her mental illness only to be rebuilt with therapy and medicine. She is now a lawyer working primarily on mental illness issues. Her descriptions of the powerlessness of a psychotic break were pretty incredible, both in terms of not being able to control your own mind and being completely at the whim of doctors to arbitrarily institutionalize you. It can be very tough to read about, but it was certainly illuminating.

Two Fronts by Harry Turtledove. Another of Harry Turtledove's Alternate History. I enjoy Turtledove as popcorn fiction, and I certainly devoured this book in just a few days. I am getting frustrated with this particular series as it seems like he is making a variety of changes just to make the Allies incompetent and the Axis more cunning in order to drag out WW2 longer than it was historically. Nonetheless, I'm sure I'll pick up the next one when it comes out next year.

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Great novel about a missionary family from Georgia who goes to do missionary work in the Belgian Congo right before the handover of power to the Africans. Their father intends to save all the souls in their little village, but is completely oblivious to the deprivation and danger that he is exposing his family to.

Read:

'Salem's Lot, Stephen King. Still working my way through King's back work. This was a very interesting and well-written novel but didn't reach the heights of some of the others, though I've heard that it's his personal favorite.

Hey, I just read this back in August. :cool4:

Since my last post, I've read Something Wicked This Way Comes, Wyndham's The Kraken Wakes and The Spy Who Came In from the Cold, bringing me to 19/24.

Archived