(Spoilers) Gendry, Melisandre and Balon?

Joyful Union

So I've been thinking about this, and I think that Melisandre will use Gendry to create a shadowbaby, which will then kill Balon.

Evidence:

1. Stannis tells Melisandre in the Walk of Punishment preview, "Make me a son",

2. Promo clips show Melisandre with the brotherhood, and seemingly having a sexual relationship with Gendry, which is how shadowbabies are created.

3. Balon dies a mysterious death in the books, allegedly falling off a bridge during a storm, but a Shadowbaby could kill him just as easily.

Thoughts?

I hope not, as it sort of plays down Euron's bamfness if his killing Balon is shifted to Mel (and I'd have thought they'd want to bring back Jaqen as the FM who assassinates Balon.). Also it''s a fairly pointless change from the books which would just be "for the lulz" and would actually be very detrimental: Having Mel directly responsible for the death of one king would confuse audiences as to how responsible she was in regards to the others, whereas in the books it's pretty much implies she just foresees the deaths and makes it out to be her own work to Stannis.

I doubt this will be the case though. Martin is writing this episode and I doubt he would want to be involved in an episode with such a large book deviation.

This is a really terrible idea. Why would Stannis kill the least important of the three remaining kings first? Surely it would make more sense for him to kill Robb (who has no heir) or Joffrey (who has the throne)? And why can Melisandre suddenly send shadowbabies hundreds of miles away, when back in season two she had to get close to Renly's camp?

It would be one of the worst decisions the show has made so far.

We don't know for sure whether we're getting another shadowbaby to kill Balon. I'm guessing no, because of the same reasons that are in the books. Conceiving another shadowbaby with Mel might kill Stannis. What I mentioned in another thread is that, rather than make the babies with Stannis, Mel looks to do so with Gendry, as he also has king's blood(in show canon, maybe king's blood is all we need to make shadowbabies). This does explain why both Mel and Gendry appear naked in one of the trailers. But my guess is that Davos smuggles Gendry away before Mel can procreate with Gendry.

Although I would like to see the leeches. They're just so cool. And not having Euron kill Balon would greatly undermine his character. The fact that he probably killed his own brother regardless of the kinslaying taboo shows just how little fucks he seems to give.

OK guys, I get it, terrible theory.

:crying: :crying: :crying:

Could a kindly mod please descend from the heavens and delete my humble thread?

Actually, it's not terrible at all. Something is definitely going on between Mel and Gendry. She mentions needing king's blood, and the only other bastard of Robert's introduced in the show is Gendry. I'm thinking the show is merging Gendry and Edric Storm. According to the episode guide for E6:

"Tywin plans strategic unions for the Lannisters. Melisandre pays a visit to the Riverlands. Robb weighs a compromise to repair his alliance with House Frey. Roose Bolton decides what to do with Jaime Lannister. Jon, Ygritte and the Wildlings face a daunting climb."

Also, in E7:

"Dany exchanges gifts with a slave lord outside of Yunkai. As Sansa frets about her prospects, Shae chafes at Tyrion’s new situation. Tywin counsels the king, and Melisandre reveals a secret to Gendry. Brienne faces a formidable foe in Harrenhal."

However, what said shadow baby will do is somewhat of a mystery, though. I think it's likely that they'll skip the leeches thing, and chalk up Joffrey and Robb's death to their actual circumstances, rather than anything sinister. However, making Balon die by shadow baby would make a lot of sense, though I do agree that you lose the impact/suspiciously timely arrival of Euron. Though it's pretty likely he won't be in this season anyway, so it would be a year before that connection is made and therefore wouldn't be very strong anyway. The show will probably just skip that tidbit, methinks.

she will trick gendry into coming to storms end where he will be leeched and result in a fm killing balon (whether or not his killer is shown or as in the book his death was merely just announced by word of mouth) and deaths of robb and joff.

they need to show that the red priests have pretty epic powers and not just write the deaths off as circumstantial.

in the case of the show, gendry is edric storm, that goes without saying. i guess these means gendry has no more part to play in the books or georgey would of said no. thats a shame as i liked his character but each to their own.

merely having gendry make another shadowbaby is not really viable and is a massive stretch from the books so i say no

LOL. Well, I guess that when you make a thread about some very big plot changes that will happen in the show, then you better get ready to be bombed by people. ;)

its not terrible! in actual fact im like 99% sure she will sex-up Gendry, wether its going to result in a shadow baby or maybe some other kind of spell im not sure. but half ur theory is almost bound to happen, im not sure anyone really knows what they are going to do from here with the three deaths. maybe she will seduce Gendry and leech him while he sleeps or some how get his blood. but dont be too hard on ur self about peoples reaction to ur thread, because its kinda likely to happen in some way, and i feel peoples negative reaction is more to do with the storyline not going the way its meant to rather than ur interpretation of it

Gendry will definitely be intended as a blood sacrifice to awaken a dragon, or at least something similarly mortal. I can't imagine Davos would defy his King just to "rescue" Gendry from sex with Mel. I imagine

is what such a rescue would look like. :P

im quite sure Gendry will be taking the place of Edric Storm in some way

• 3 weeks later...

I can't imagine Davos would defy his King just to "rescue" Gendry from sex with Mel

Davos DOES betray Stannis in order to save Edric, I dont see why it would be any different for Gendry. I have no idea what they are going to do to Gendry, but I really doubt that they will do another shadow monster demon baby, but I dont know where they will go with this. It doesnt seem she has any intention of burning him as of now, so I guess we will see.

I hate shadow monster demon babies. A lot.

I can't imagine Davos would defy his King just to "rescue" Gendry from sex with Mel

Davos DOES betray Stannis in order to save Edric, I dont see why it would be any different for Gendry.

Because bumping uglies with someone to create a magic assassin (admittedly draining a little of your life force, though Stannis is still going strong enough), is a LOT different from being burned alive in order to create a dragon. Somehow, I don't think Gendry would even object much to the former.

Archived