Things that bothered you about the books.

Pinkie Baelish

This thread contains spoilers, and is about the small or major events that irked you. I'll start:

I was disappointed that Joffrey was the one who sent the assassin to kill Bran. I don't know, I just felt that the explanation was a bit flimsy. Joff had a bit of bad blood with the Stark boys, but I don't think it was enough that he would pay someone to try and kill Bran. IMO, it makes more sense for the culprit to be Littlefinger or Cersei. Without Bran's assassination attempt, we would never have had Cat arresting Tyrion, Tywin pillaging the Riverlands, and civil war might have been averted. It just seems like a big contrivance that LF gets given a golden opportunity to spark tensions between the Starks and the Lannisters so soon after Lysa sends Cat the letter about Jon Arryn's death.

In all honesty/obvious answer, the red wedding. Still bothers me the way robb was betrayed/murdered/desecrated. He deserved better. I know it advanced the narrative and forced the other starks to grow, whatever, but in my heart it still feels like martin's giant fuck you to the fans.

• The 50 Shades of Daario chapters in ADWD
  • Dany describing her fascination with Daarios blue hair that matches his eyes
  • Dany describing her fascination with Daarios golden tooth
  • Dany describing her fascination with Daarios naked chick swords
  • Every time Daario opened his mouth
  • The fact that Daario is a character

Sweet moses the Daario chapters... I think GRRM's cat ghost wrote those chapters.

so jealous

Agreed.

Daario just sucks, and so far has contributed absolutely nothing of value to the story.

He brings about the unintentional humor that derives from his appearance, hell that fact alone makes him one of the few characters in Essos that I find amusing.

This thread contains spoilers, and is about the small or major events that irked you. I'll start:

I was disappointed that Joffrey was the one who sent the assassin to kill Bran. I don't know, I just felt that the explanation was a bit flimsy. Joff had a bit of bad blood with the Stark boys, but I don't think it was enough that he would pay someone to try and kill Bran.

Wasn't it more him trying to impress his father / put Bran out of his misery?

I always thought Joffrey's motives were kind of goofy too. He overhears Robert saying something like "it would be a mercy if he'd just died" so he secretly tries to have a child assassinated to win his father's love? Uh, great job, champ. No-one ever accused Joffrey of being the most level-headed boy in Westeros, I suppose.

Yes I thought this was the reason too. He had heard Robert talk about how it would be better for Bran to die and he wanted to carry out his father's will. Joffrey may not have been close to his father, but he certainly looked up to and feared him.

One thing that annoys me is my suspension of belief is broken during the Arya chapters. Yes she is supposed to be a prodigy, but goes about killing skilled men left and right, breaking out of garrisons at the age of 10. It is too much. In fact I think on a whole the current cast is a bit too younger.

Yeah, that probably was his main reason, but I dunno...I just felt that someone like Petyr or Varys had better motives.

The fact that a lot of the narrative tension in ADWD comes from two inevitable wars, neither of which play out in the actual book. Some people say that was a literary decision but even if it was I think it is a poor one.

Yeah, the exclusions of the battles piss me off to no end. It's like watching a movie, only for the last 15 minutes to be cut out. I think what happened was that Martin was well past the publication deadline, and the publishers, eager to cash in on the hype from the show pestered him to give in everything he had written so far. And for this, the book suffered greatly.

I think there are far too many chapters of characters travelling. Unless something important in terms of plot or character development happens in said chapter, there is no great reason to include it. Tyrion's first couple of ADWD chapters and pretty much everything Quentyn did were a total bore to read. As were most of Bran's ASOS chapters.

Oh, and this is just nitpicking, but why does Martin title certain chapters with nicknames(The Kraken's Daughter, The Iron Suitor)? It works in the case of Arya and even Quentyn, considering their changing identities, but I don't get why it's used for characters like Jon Connington or Barristan Selmy.

He brings about the unintentional humor that derives from his appearance, hell that fact alone makes him one of the few characters in Essos that I find amusing.

I'll admit I like that the Amok Illustrations, which tend to most closely correspond to my mental images of the characters, portrait of Daario makes him out to look like a blue haired Nicolas Cage. I wish they had cast someone similarly goofy looking instead of that pretty boy bro douchebag they got to play him on the show, hell even if it was the same actor but they gave him all the ridiculous features like the blue hair, it would have worked. I feel like it needs to be clearly established that the viewer is supposed to be like "what the fuck is she doing with this asshole."

I'll admit I like that the Amok Illustrations, which tend to most closely correspond to my mental images of the characters, portrait of Daario makes him out to look like a blue haired Nicolas Cage. I wish they had cast someone similarly goofy looking instead of that pretty boy bro douchebag they got to play him on the show, hell even if it was the same actor but they gave him all the ridiculous features like the blue hair, it would have worked. I feel like it needs to be clearly established that the viewer is supposed to be like "what the fuck is she doing with this asshole."

you mean like this?

http://images6.fanpo...588-831-482.jpg

:drunk:

He might've been going for a Captain Jack Sparrow ~silly/eccentric, charismatic badass~ thing but if so it backfired because Daario is 100% a literal clown.

gold teefs, naked lady sword hilts, blue hair, yellow mustachios

Read those words without laughin'.

Archived