ASOIAF in other languages

Xasthur

I don't know if this was asked before, but does anybody own the series in a translated version?

And if you have read it in another language, how did you like the translation?

I've read the series two times, one time in English, one time in German. Sometimes the translation of the names really bugged me ("Lennister", "Casterlystein"), and the caprice coming with it. In the first book, it's "Roos Bolton", later on it's "Roose Bolton". I find it unbelievable that everybody was a "Lord" and a "Ser" but there is a place called "Zehntürmen".

On the other hand, they did a really good job with the descriptions of characters, places, food, sex, etc.... there are even a few lines I prefer in the German version.

I've also heard the Spanish version is pretty decent, is that true?? And I saw the cover of the Japanese version of the books... horrible.

I have read French and Serbian translations. Not bad at all... Characterization names are a bit strange when I read the English version, but all in all, nothing bad.

I read (painstakingly) a German copy of Game of Thrones when I was trying to learn that language. As I'm sure it is with every other language, some things are just impossible to translate properly and have to be altered.

Although I've heard that sometimes it just gets taken to stupid levels, like how in the Italian version Direwolfs are translated as Unicorns.

The cover of the Japanese version of the books? Jeez, it must be pretty bad to be called "horrible" by a member of the ASoIaF fandom. I need to check that out.

Brace yourself. Japanese Tyrion is coming...

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31300000/Japanese-cover-art-for-A-Song-of-Ice-and-Fire-Series-a-song-of-ice-and-fire-31334721-400-564.jpg

I didn't read books in my native language(Turkish), but I'm told (and checked out of curiosity) the names of the castles,places and even the surnames of bastards are translated. Jon Snow = John Kar(which means snow obviously). And for another example Winterfell is completely translated into Kisyari (And even I have no idea what to make out of it).

Damn, that is rather freaky.

Yep, that is horrible.

I agree with both of these assessments. However, if they added him some curly hair and the scar, he wouldn`t be so bad. One thing is certain. I will never understand Japanese art. I remember being in Tokyo in a gallery and the guy spend an hour explaining me a picture. I was mesmerised, but I couldn`t get it. Maybe the problem is in me.

I agree with both of these assessments. However, if they added him some curly hair and the scar, he wouldn`t be so bad. One thing is certain. I will never understand Japanese art. I remember being in Tokyo in a gallery and the guy spend an hour explaining me a picture. I was mesmerised, but I couldn`t get it. Maybe the problem is in me.

It's the same thing with myself and many people I know, Mladen, so you're not alone.

The Brazilian Portuguese version is ok,although the names became quite strange,but it was not a direct translation,but an adaptation from Portuguese Portuguese,so the language sounds more formal than it should for Brazilian readers.Also they transformed Ser in Sor for no reason.

I read the swedish version, and besides the names I actuelly prefer it to the english version.

I dont know about you but all the "mayhaps" and "teats" kinda ruins it for me :P

Here's some names at places in swedish that are not properly translated:

King's Landing = Kungshamn, which means King's Harbor

Storms end = Stormens ände, which means Storm's Edge

Lannisport = Lannishamn, which means Lannis Harbor

Archived