Cersei's trial

he hasn't met him but come on. The Sand Snakes even say it when presented with Gregors head. "How do we know this is him?"

"there was no other man as large or with his strength, if a man arises the bitch queen will be shown as a liar" <--- this was all verbatim, but still what they said.

ANY person only had to look at him once and they can put two and two together. Kevan knew, and he also knew that Mace and Randyl knew as well. true the HS is a fanatic, but he has not proven to be a fool. Like stated, he has been one step ahead of Cersei the whole time.

Mace and Randyll aren't indicated to know, and I think the HS knows even less.

Mace and Randyll aren't indicated to know, and I think the HS knows even less.

It's stated in the epilogue of ADWD that Kevan knew they had their suspicions of who he was, plus we know Tyene is being sent to the HS, when she was the one who made the comment about Gregor in the first place...the HS will know and there is no proof that he knows less than anyone, if anything the books prove he knows more as he single handedly took Cersei's power, made the Tyrells tremble, and was allowed to have the Faith militarize themselves again.....don't think a dim person could do that in a place like Kings Landing

*Crackpot*

I think Varys has Tyrek Lannister, that Lancel is going to be the champion of the faith, and that he will die -- leaving Tyrek Lannister only one spot away (after Cercei's brood and Martyn Lannister) from inheriting Casterly Rock. (f)Aegon is going to need supporters, so why not keep Tyrek secret and have him declare publicly that his cousins were incestuous and that Robert's death wasn't an accident? Varys gets (f)Aegon to reward him with Casterly Rock after attainting everyone ahead of him, and the public has an actual Lannister confirming the myths about Cercei.

None of this happens though unless Lancel dies.

He doesn't know how Cersei feels towards Lancel, and he truly doesn't know Cersei

He certainly knows enough not to assume she'd suddenly get all mushy and sentimental and effectively sacrifice her life to spare Lancel's. Why on Earth would he assume she loved him? Why would he assume she loved him more than life itself? That pot is cracked all over.

It need not be anyone with plot importance. In theory, every knight in Westeros is a believer in the Seven, and some of them actually are. There would be no shortage of knights of various levels of skill willing to fight if the Seven asked.

I like the idea, though, of removing Ser Strong's helm. Trials by Combat are fought to the death, and if it could be shown that Strong was dead at the start of the trail, than Cersei could be declared guilty.

On the other hand, is it in the Faith's best interests to have Cersei found guilty of those various crimes, including incest with her brother? The Faith would have no choice but to say Tommen had no right to the throne, which would make Stannis the legal heir, but he has rejected the Seven. If not Stannis, who is there to sit on the iron throne? One of Robert's bastards? A distance relation? Regardless, it would a chaotic time. The only way this benefits the Seven is if they manage to lead the process to find the proper heir. Of course, the Tyrells are still there, and parked with the largest army in Westeros outside King's Landing, and aren't going to do nothing if the Seven tries to hand the Iron Throne to anybody but Margarey's husband (Tommen's marriage can be pretty easily annuled at this point, I think Margarey is turning into the Westeros female equivalent of Henry VIII).

Whoever fights Ser Robert strong, I seriously doubt it be Lancel.

First, he is a mediocre fighter at best, I seem to recall and second he is basically the heir to Casterly Rock. While this might have not much meaning formally with the Faith Militant renouncing all worldly wealth and all that, the High Septon would be exceptionally stupid to sacrifice Lancel nevertheless.

Neither do I believe in some "unmasking", voluntary or involuntary. Yes, the new Sandor might eventually get even with his brother, but that is for later... much later. For now, whoever fights Ser Robert Strong will die.

Whoever fights Ser Robert strong, I seriously doubt it be Lancel.

First, he is a mediocre fighter at best, I seem to recall and second he is basically the heir to Casterly Rock. While this might have not much meaning formally with the Faith Militant renouncing all worldly wealth and all that, the High Septon would be exceptionally stupid to sacrifice Lancel nevertheless.

Neither do I believe in some "unmasking", voluntary or involuntary. Yes, the new Sandor might eventually get even with his brother, but that is for later... much later. For now, whoever fights Ser Robert Strong will die.

Lancel Lannister is not the heir to Casterly Rock. Casterly Rock belongs to Cersei. She inherited it from her father. Cersei's children are heirs to Casterly Rock - as Tommen is king, Myrcella is the heir. Lancel gave up his position as Ser Kevan's heir when he joined the faith - his younger brother then became their father's heir.

Lancel Lannister is not the heir to Casterly Rock. Casterly Rock belongs to Cersei. She inherited it from her father. Cersei's children are heirs to Casterly Rock - as Tommen is king, Myrcella is the heir. Lancel gave up his position as Ser Kevan's heir when he joined the faith - his younger brother then became their father's heir.

This is what i wrote: "While this might have not much meaning formally with the Faith Militant renouncing all worldly wealth..."

Lancel still has value for the Faith at least more than just for throwing him away at some trial by combat. Who is to say that he might not leave the Faith Militant and take up rulership (at the suggestion and under the guidance of the High Septon)? Something similar happened before, after all. Membership at the Kingsguard is supposed for live and yet Barristan Selmy was dismissed from it and Tywin wanted this for Jaime and him becoming his heir again.

He certainly knows enough not to assume she'd suddenly get all mushy and sentimental and effectively sacrifice her life to spare Lancel's. Why on Earth would he assume she loved him? Why would he assume she loved him more than life itself? That pot is cracked all over.

I was saying that the HS thinks Cersei feels compassion and love towards those in her family like a normal human being. She also slept with Lancel, and the HS thinks that she may have developed feelings for Lancel given the affair. Of course, he proves to be dead wrong in all of those.

It's stated in the epilogue of ADWD that Kevan knew they had their suspicions of who he was, plus we know Tyene is being sent to the HS, when she was the one who made the comment about Gregor in the first place...the HS will know and there is no proof that he knows less than anyone, if anything the books prove he knows more as he single handedly took Cersei's power, made the Tyrells tremble, and was allowed to have the Faith militarize themselves again.....don't think a dim person could do that in a place like Kings Landing

There is no proof the HS knows more than anyone else. I'll just agree to disagree.

Im thinking its going to be Lancel, I mean theres gotta be a reason that Martin created this character, right?

Bingo

I agree, building up Strong that long without showing off his prowess at least once wouldn't make much sense, and there has to be enough time

so the word gets spread and reaches Sandor.

I'm going with Lancel, too. Not because 'why else create Lancel' but because 'why else make Lancel turn fanatic?' I DO like the idea, though, of the High Septon coming up with some means to expose who Robert Strong IS, as I think Sandor will be who kills him, and Sandor has to know his brother lives to set himself on that quest.

This is what i wrote: "While this might have not much meaning formally with the Faith Militant renouncing all worldly wealth..."

Lancel still has value for the Faith at least more than just for throwing him away at some trial by combat. Who is to say that he might not leave the Faith Militant and take up rulership (at the suggestion and under the guidance of the High Septon)? Something similar happened before, after all. Membership at the Kingsguard is supposed for live and yet Barristan Selmy was dismissed from it and Tywin wanted this for Jaime and him becoming his heir again.

You wrote that he is heir to Casterly Rock. He isn't, and he never was. Casterly Rock belongs to Cersei, and Lancel was never Cersei's heir. He wasn't his father's heir at the time of Ser Kevan's death, either, and that will not change if he decides to leave the Faith Militant later on, after his brother takes up the inheritance.

Lancel is still Tommen's cousin, and I think he might be named Tommen's regent even if he stays with the Faith Militant. Especially if he stays with the Faith Militant, with backing from the High Septon. I can agree with that if that is what you were trying to say. There is nothing in the rules that says that a member of the Faith can't be regent for the king. He will not become sovereign ruler of Westeros, not even with the High Septon's help.

It's true the HS been able to out think Cersi, but honestly how hard is that? She's an idiot, made even worse due to the fact that she's convinced that she's brilliant. That combined with the fact that she underestimates everyone because she believes she's a strategic genius, and believes as queen regent she can due whatever she wants means that if anyone is suspicious of her, it would be easy to find out.

She's like a perpetual child, who always thinks she's getting one over on her parents, though they are aware of everything she does. The reason she has gotten away with it is that most of the high born characters are kind pretty stupid themselves. Knights and lords can't seem to think more than one step ahead, or see beyond what's in front of their nose at any time; they confuse their pride for honor, and distrust for intelligence.

One thought is that it will be Sandor who thru his time on the Quiet Isle fights Robert Strong n behalf of The Faith.

I really hope not. In fact I hope Sandor stays on the Quiet Isle in Quiet Anonymity.

It will be Lancel. The HS will tell Cersei that Lancel will be the Faith's champion if she wants a trial by combat, thinking that Cersei will forgo a trial by combat to avoid harm to her kin and former lover. The HS proves to be dead wrong.

I think Lancel makes a lot of sense. If only because he is one of her accusers.

If Lancel believes that Cersei murdered his father, I can see him insisting to be chosen as champion for the faith, to atone for his part in killing his father and to bring Cersei to justice. I don't know if the High Septon would go for it, though.

But would Lancel insist once he realizes that he can't defeat Cersei's champion? Cersei would go free. But he could hire someone to deal with Ser Robert and Cersei - the Faceless Men. He seems the sort of person willing to pay their price, even if that price includes his life. That might create an opening for Arya. Arya can't accept a contract on Cersei - but she can accept one for Ser Robert Strong. Or accompany the Faceless Man who accepted the contract.

Sadly, I think it more likely that the trial won't take place. Ser Kevan is dead. Mace Tyrell can have Tommen declare Margaery innocent by royal decree. Cersei can make Tommen declare Cersei innocent by royal decree. Littlefinger can make witty remarks about Tommen unwittingly working for both sides. The High Septon will spit fire and blood, refusing to support either. Maybe he'll join Aegon.

It need not be anyone with plot importance. In theory, every knight in Westeros is a believer in the Seven, and some of them actually are. There would be no shortage of knights of various levels of skill willing to fight if the Seven asked.

I like the idea, though, of removing Ser Strong's helm. Trials by Combat are fought to the death, and if it could be shown that Strong was dead at the start of the trail, than Cersei could be declared guilty.

On the other hand, is it in the Faith's best interests to have Cersei found guilty of those various crimes, including incest with her brother? The Faith would have no choice but to say Tommen had no right to the throne, which would make Stannis the legal heir, but he has rejected the Seven. If not Stannis, who is there to sit on the iron throne? One of Robert's bastards? A distance relation? Regardless, it would a chaotic time. The only way this benefits the Seven is if they manage to lead the process to find the proper heir. Of course, the Tyrells are still there, and parked with the largest army in Westeros outside King's Landing, and aren't going to do nothing if the Seven tries to hand the Iron Throne to anybody but Margarey's husband (Tommen's marriage can be pretty easily annuled at this point, I think Margarey is turning into the Westeros female equivalent of Henry VIII).

was she actually being charged with having incest babies though? She was being charged with murdering the last HS, and adultery. But even if she was found guilty of sleeping with her cousins and brother, it wouldn't necessarily mean the kids weren't true born.

Archived