Even if Jon is Robb's heir he won't become Lord

The Black Hawk

I agree. even in book 1 there is Tyrion's advice to "arm" himself in his bastard identity. Not forgetting Aemon's revelation of turning down the IT.

I reckon Jon will find out his true (targ) identity but choose to remain the bastard Lord Crow (assuming he survives the stabbing)

If refused Stannis's offer then likely he won't become King In The North for Robb. He is pretty devoted to NW.

While I would like to make clear, any Stark would ahve refused Stannis' offer. It came at too high a price, namely burning the Godswood. However, I tend to agree that even if Robb asked, he would stay with the NW.

Thought a secret delight of mine is that Great Northern Conspriracy that Apple wrote up a while back.

Yes he refused Stannis's offer. But that offer was from Stannis, not from Robb. If one of Robb's last wishes was for Jon to become his heir, do you we really think Jon would say no then? My bet is no. Yes, Jon is loyal to the NW. However, the NW doesn't want him anymore and just tried to kill him. Jon sees the bigger picture....the fight against the Others. If becoming either the KitN or Lord of Winterfell, can be used to unite the North for the up coming fight; Jon will do it. He would however, step down from either title once Rickkon comes of age. He would never deny the birth right of one of his "siblings."

Have to disagree. Jon put a great deal of his soul on family. If Robb asked for him to be his heir and Robb legitimized him, I think Jon would accept. Especially if he believed the other Starks were all dead. Being asked by Stannis is entirely different than being asked by Robb, you can't compare the two.

And a side note, Stannis didn't ask him to burn the weirwoods, Mel did.

Yes he refused Stannis's offer. But that offer was from Stannis, not from Robb. If one of Robb's last wishes was for Jon to become his heir, do you we really think Jon would say no then? My bet is no. Yes, Jon is loyal to the NW. However, the NW doesn't want him anymore and just tried to kill him. Jon sees the bigger picture....the fight against the Others. If becoming either the KitN or Lord of Winterfell, can be used to unite the North for the up coming fight; Jon will do it. He would however, step down from either title once Rickkon comes of age. He would never deny the birth right of one of his "siblings."

Couldn't agree more.

Prior to the stabbing Jon was on his way to reconciling the relationship between NW and the Wildings. If Jon survives the stabbing I can envision Jon continuing down this path with the goal of eventually reconciling the relationship of the freefolk with the Northmen, etc. I agree that Jon will not forsake his vow to the NW to take the seat at Winterfell or the IT. However, would Jon be breaking his vows if he was duly elected as "King" by the great council? Throughout each of the five books references have been made to the great council selecting a king when the line of succession was in question. GRRM gave us a preview of this with the Greyjoy Kingsmoot. Perhaps this is the foreshadowing of Jon or a hero of the war with the Others being elected king by the great council. Jon the reconciler seems a fitting choice. Clearly a different way to win the game of thrones then the games being played by those currently seking it.

I tend to agree. Reasons being:

1.)He's already struggled with keeping his oaths in the past and made the tough decisions to stay true. Being tempted three times like Aemon was and being true three times would be a great parallel.

2.)Rickon is likely to be revealed very soon, since Davos was sent off to find him fairly early in Dance I imagine he'll show up to reveal him early in Winds. Knowing Rickon (and possibly Bran) are still alive, I cannot see Jon making a grab for Winterfell. He'll know Robb was working on a misunderstanding with his will and would have let Bran/Rickon inherit had he known they were still alive.

3.)Since I believe Jon is AA he needs to find a way to unite people against the Others, as that fight is his destiny, not being the figurehead in a civil war. Taking the crown could only undermine that cause, as no doubt the Riverlanders, especially the Blackfish, will be very opposed to the idea of a non-Tully blooded legitimized bastard as King when there are Tully-blooded Starks running around.

4.)R+L=J. Jon is going to have to learn this eventually, and while it's certainly possible it could come AFTER he accepts Northern leadership, certainly it will destroy both his personal desire to claim Winterfell as well as support for him in the North, should it become public knowledge. A son of Rhaegar and Lyanna or a son of Eddard and Catelyn... which is the North and the Riverlands going to support?

Limited circumstances where I COULD see Jon taking a role in the North:

IF he goes into a coma/Ghost for a long period and when he wakes up the Watch is completely decimated to the point of non-existence. Even then I still don't see him usurping from Bran or Rickon, but accepting the role of regent to one of them might then be the best way to rally troops to fight the Others and fulfill his destiny as AA. Being regent would also make issues of blood lineage matter less.

Things change. He set to march on Winterfell at the end of Dance, something he wouldn't have done previously. As it is, I doubt he'll become king either, but Lord of Winterfell is a title that's more likely.

Have to disagree. Jon put a great deal of his soul on family. If Robb asked for him to be his heir and Robb legitimized him, I think Jon would accept. Especially if he believed the other Starks were all dead.

Being asked by Stannis is entirely different than being asked by Robb, you can't compare the two.

Exactly.

Now here's Black Hawk finally making sense!

I do think it would be possible (with his supposed Targ heritage at bay) if by some unconventional means he was elected to the IT but the King-in-the-North? That always did sound pretty bad.

But yeah, I'm all for Jon remaining in the Night's Watch, if he wants to style himself King then so be it, King-at-the-Wall!

If Robb ask Jon himself there is that chance he might have left. But there always have to be a Stark manning The Wall

You must give me the quote for there 'always having to be a Stark at the Wall'. I've never seen it.

And make sure you know why he didn't accept before you speak up.

Archived