The Greyjoys or the Martells?

Ser Luke.

I am a sucker for big strategists, so I say :DORAN DORAN DORAN!:P

I really dislike the Greyjoys, mainly due to the history they built on Balon's command.

"Better be a bended man than a dead man. The bended man can rise, sword in hand but the dead man will stay there and rot" (or something like that)

This is the quintessence of cowardice, dishonour, unreliability.

And even more, Balon was an IDIOT.

I mean, what kind of fool strikes the Lannisters when Tywin is in command, or declares his independence when Robert Baratheon is at his peak of power? For heavens' sake!

So far, they do not know how to play the game, they have the best fleet but don't know what to do with it in order to gain strategic advantage, they are a bunch of traitorous folks.

As for Theon , I mainly pity him. But, when one has fostered you as a parent (and actually better than Balon would have ever done), you had Robb and the rest as brothers who loved you dearly, on what grounds do you go and sack their city? Or, attempting to do so -- He was a Greyjoy, failure is in their blood.

The Dornish are far deeper characters with their own colour, different from the rest Westeros.

They have not been conquered after all, and have kept their ways and traditions.

From the first time that Dorne came out in the books, the feeling that stroke me was that this was a power that awaited there and none dare touch them.

They all counted them, (Tyrion sent Myrcella there..why? Tywin considered Doran a reasonable man/ or so Doran had him believe).

Doran is a long term strategist. Maybe his reactions are slow, but he knows how to break the opponent.

See for example how he treated Arianne when she tried to rebel and failed. She broke and then became his puppet.

That's what he wants. His enemies to break. We don't know how he has worked so far.

For example, he has said that he has worked tirelessly to bring Robert down and kill Tywin. But how? His saying so, can't have been just a boast. There must be more to it which we shall learn bit by bit. As Littlefinger was proven to be the reason many things happened, so may be Doran .

Ok, I know, strategist sucker, but that's my point of view:P

Both families have great house words. Crows eye is the most interesting of the Greyjoys, at least he has some sort of long con going on not sure exactly what his plans are but I love the fact it's gonna be left field and chaotic, Victarion is a stupid brute who's chapters amuse and disturb at the same time, Asha I have hope for but she's in a tough place right now, Theon, well someone needs to put him out of his misery under a heart tree... Of the Martells, Dorans a character I have a lot of time for, although his game seems to be unraveling, I think he and his house will survive the coming events in some sort of reasonable position where I don't believe the Greyjoys will be so lucky. Sarella is the best of the rest with Ari coming in second, although the Sand snake who ends up on the small council (?) might have an interesting plot line (sorry about the mess of a post on typing away on an iPad)

Wow, the board is really split on this. Great topic! I honestly don't know. I don't like the houses much to begin with. They both have their ups and downs, but I really can't decide. I like the Martells better as a people, but the Greyjoys are just way more interesting.

The ironborn definitely have interesting story lines, and I honestly found Theon's story arc in book 5 more compelling than all of the Dornish chapters combined from books 4 and 5; however, I think that this is mostly because the Dornish chapters are set-up rather than pay-off, so I'm not going to say that I dislike the Martells because of that.

Part of the reason I also find the Dornish chapters less interesting is that, apart from Doran and Oberyn, all of the other characters seem like undifferentiated blobs. The Sand Snakes so far all share a single personality and I can't tell them apart, Areo acts like a movie camera, silently watching and recording everything that happens, I liked Arianne but we were evicted out of her head after two chapters, and Darkstar has had, what, three pages of time in two books? I'm fairly confident that all of this will change in the next two books but right now the ironborn characters are actually doing things while the Dornishmen are on the verge of doing things.

Well said. Both houses have major roles to fill. Why choose?

Character wise theyre both equal IMO, but i love Greyjoys way of life. Ships everywhere.. every captain is king on his ship... Battles in the sea... boarding someone elses ship and throwing them overboard boom new ship. Follow your leaders because of strength and respect, and not some punk ass bitch beating women and killing babies. I mean oberyn was a martell... but that SOB is dead, and with him my love for the Martells.

Well, if I were to rank the members of both Houses based on how much I like them:

1. Asha

2. Oberyn

3. Theon

4. Victarion

5. Quentyn

6. Arianne

7. Aeron

8. Trystane

9. Balon

10. Doran

11. Euron

Using a points system of giving the winner 11 points, and one point less for each position below that (so 2nd gets 10 points, 3rd gets 9 points all the way down to 11th gets 1 point), it comes out as:

House Greyjoy: 37 points

House Martell: 29 points

So, in conclusion, I like the Greyjoys more.

I'm going to steal this idea too.

1. Oberyn

2. Asha

3. Doran

4. Trystane

5. Arianne

6. Theon

7. Euron

8. Quentyn

9. Victarion

10. Aeron

11. Balon

Martells: 39

Greyjoys: 27

Wow the Greyjoys are pretty disliked, can't say I blame anybody much for that. The Drowned God has himself some heavy subjects, when I say heavy I mean HEAVY! (as in they are rough, mean, and non-too green) So I pick the Martells too, Doran is a man that most could respect, even lousy people I think. After all, he loathed Tywin, can't we all agree that he was a good judge of character in that regard?

Martells, obviously. But the only one i truly love is Doran, the other ones i tolerate (they are too hot-headed and lack good sense for my taste). But Sarella seems cool and clever, if she's indeed Alleras

I dont like the Greyjoys at all, except for Asha (she's ok, for an ironborn). Well, now that i think about it, i actually hate all ironborn with exception of The Reader. i like him, even if he barely appeared in the books.

Greyjoys, by far. Personally, the Martells are my least favorite house. I like Doran, Arianne and Oberyn, but they just stumble from epic fail to epic fail.

But you like the Greyjoys because they don't?

House Greyjoy. They are complex, interesting, badass and some of the most unique characters of the series. Only interesting Martell is Quentyn. Oberyn is too good for my liking, Arianne is stupid.

Oberyn? Too good?

Well, if I were to rank the members of both Houses based on how much I like them:

1. Asha

2. Oberyn

3. Theon

4. Victarion

5. Quentyn

6. Arianne

7. Aeron

8. Trystane

9. Balon

10. Doran

11. Euron

Using a points system of giving the winner 11 points, and one point less for each position below that (so 2nd gets 10 points, 3rd gets 9 points all the way down to 11th gets 1 point), it comes out as:

House Greyjoy: 37 points

House Martell: 29 points

So, in conclusion, I like the Greyjoys more.

I'll use this too

1.Oberyn

2.Doran

3 Victarion

4 Quentyn

5 Theon

6 Arianne

7 Asha

8 Aeron

9 Trystane

10 Balon

11 Euron

Greyjoys= 28

Martells= 38

who said "This is Dorne. You are not wanted here, return at your peril." ?

Martell it is

Great line. Mariya Martell (And Elia as well) is probably my favorite Pre-ASOIAF character.

I think I've found my signature. Thanks JQC! Also, which book was this in?

Archived