New theory on who Coldhands is.

Dr.Santa

So I was re-reading aSoS last night, Bran's chapter when he tells the story of the 79 sentinels. An idea came to me during the story. I think CH is Lord Ryswell, the honorable lord who had himself put in the wall to help his son's watch at the NightFort. It was the fact that the 79 were stuck in the wall there that gave me the idea. The wierwood gate is controlled by BR, or so it seems to me.(Why else would it cry for Bran and company) My theory is now that the Others have come back, the wall brought Lord Ryswell (who is in the wall at the NightFort) back to life to defend the wall.(it is said it defends itself) And lord Ryswell is a honorable man sworn to defend the wall. BR of course sees this and has CH help him do thing he cannot do himself. We don't know when the story of the 79 Sentinels happened, but it could have been a long time ago. I know there is not much evidence to prove this, but it seems better then CH being Benjen Stark.

Thoughts?

I always believed that CH was a man of the NW, most likely a ranger, who took his oath in front of a heart tree and was then turned into a wight, and something else BR or COTF could have happened as well, and according to the wiki, Lord Ryswell was taken to the wall when he was already dying so it's unlikely he would have been sent out beyond the Wall to be turned into a wight.

Besides from that though, I like this theory.

I don't know....Lord Ryswell seemed like a one-shot character mentioned oly in one chapter. I'm not sure if he is "significant" enough to he Colhands.

And obvious question - if Ryswell is Coldhands, then why can't he cross the Wall?

Well it is known he is dead, so maybe it is the same magic that stops the Others from crossing,

I always believed that CH was a man of the NW, most likely a ranger, who took his oath in front of a heart tree and was then turned into a wight, and something else BR or COTF could have happened as well, and according to the wiki, Lord Ryswell was taken to the wall when he was already dying so it's unlikely he would have been sent out beyond the Wall to be turned into a wight.

Besides from that though, I like this theory.

The wall is made of magic and defends itself, and CH does not have the blue eyes like other wrights, so maybe the wall brought him back?

It's better than CH being Benjen.

But I remain firmly convinced that CH is Boba Fett until proven otherwise.

They killed him long ago...in a galaxy far far away.

There's really no evidence that he died from his trip into the sarlacc. And no evidence of the distance between Tatooine and Westeros. So I stand by my theory.

I can also prove with several shadows of doubt that the red comet is actually a flaming out death star.

I've always been convinced CH is Benjen, although that's probably a little bit too 'obvious'...I like this theory of yours though :-) But, is it one thing I've learned reading this series, is that you never know what Martin will do= CH can be anyone I guess :-P

I never thought of that. Nice!

Although Boba Fett would be a cool CH, I always believed that he was a man of the NW. Maybe he said his oath in front of a heart tree and the old gods made him theirs when he died of the hands of the Others and would have become a wight.

For those who don't know the story of the 79 sentinels: They were deserters, but Lord Ryswell, the LC hunted them down and sealed them in the Wall, for eternal watch.

I've always shuddered at the thought that when the Others come, the sentinels awake and start scratching with their cold black hands at the walls of their prison...

Archived