So...you think Davos makes it back from Skagos with Rickon?

StannisBamfatheon

I'm just curious. I just got done with that awesome Davos/Robett/Wyman chapter in my ADWD reread and Davos seems to see this mission to "Skags" as all but a suicide mission. Davos is extremely capable though, especially in smuggling/stealth type operations. He's like Westeros' version of Solid Snake. I think he's more than up for the job. But do you guys think he'll make it back with Rickon? I can't see such a beloved character like Davos dying off page(or on it) on Skagos without making a deeper or lasting impact on the story. Should he succeed what will be the ramifications? I think a best case scenario is Stannis wins the Battle of Winterfell right when its revealed that the lost Stark heir has been found. This creates a sort of synthesis/catalyzing effect on the North and they overthrow the Boltons/Freys/Lannisters for good and all. From there they could figure out the whole if we want to have a Stark king or ally with Stannis, etc... Or hell who knows by then the Others might have made their move and they'd have no choice but to make common cause. Either way this is one of the archs I'm really interested in seeing shake out come WoW. Davos on a rescue mission to a cannibal island sounds fantastic and hopefully takes up more pages than characters nibbling their food or fumbling at their breeches.

The main thing Davos will have to do is probably convince Osha to have Rickon returned to the mainland North. That shouldn't be a problem, since I'm sure Davos could convince the Great Other to start worshiping fire if it suited him and Stannis' cause.

Davos will develop a father-son relationship with Rickon that much I am sure.Because lately Davos thought a lot about his dead sons so channeling all that lost feelings to a new child is pretty likely and he doesn't know his other sons so it is even more likely.He misses being a father and who better then a lonely scared child to play the role of a son to him then Rickon?Also Osha will be like a mother to Rickon at that time Rickon will be pretty wild because of the strugglle to survive in wilderness.Maybe Skags are cannibals or maybe it is a lie to keep outsiders away but either way I think Skags will worship Rickon in a way.Rickon is a Stark and just like Mountain clans Skagosi will too welcome him.About stealth thing I don't think Davos can ninja his way through Osha or the other Skags.He can land stealthly but he won't get away that easy also if I remember correctly Davos goes there with a very large ship.A large ship which can carry a good amount of soldiers in return.I think GRRM thought this very carefully.The size of the ship, timing of the quest, man doing this job, the place they went etc....All of these details matter.If GRRM didn't want to bring a loyal army with Rickon he could have easily said Rickon was in somewhere else.

I definitely think the cannibal thing is a more than meets the eye situation. A lie to keep outsiders out and it turns out they're a perfectly civilized people. They probably also have a strong presence with the Old Gods as that theology/mysticism/call it what you will has grown exponentially stronger as the series goes. Especially in ADWD.

Either way this is one of the archs I'm really interested in seeing shake out come WoW. Davos on a rescue mission to a cannibal island sounds fantastic and hopefully takes up more pages than characters nibbling their food or fumbling at their breeches.

Amen, there is going to be some great stuff in those chapters.

I personally think that the "Skaggs" will become Rickon's most loyal bannermen and Davos will return with Rickon and a small army

This is my gut feeling, too. I'm inclined to believe that army, which would approach Winterfell from the east, might be able to prevent a Bolton retreat and maybe even eliminate their remaining forces altogether.

They probably also have a strong presence with the Old Gods as that theology/mysticism/call it what you will has grown exponentially stronger as the series goes. Especially in ADWD.

This is one thing about Skagos I'm particularly interested in. Given Bran's situation, it would be a huge plus for the north if Rickon was raised with a strong connection to the old gods.

The main thing Davos will have to do is probably convince Osha to have Rickon returned to the mainland North. That shouldn't be a problem, since I'm sure Davos could convince the Great Other to start worshiping fire if it suited him and Stannis' cause.

:agree:

I think Davos will make it. With limited contact from Skagos to Westeros, I think canabalism is overexagerated. Probably one tribe who has done/does it, with other tribes frowning upon the practice.

I do think Davos will succeed in his mission. I agree that the cannibalism is an over exaggerated tale, probably based on one old truth about one tribe or one incident, etc. I also have this strange feeling that Rickon may wind up being the most well adjusted Stark child, so far, anyway, and that his being raised by Osha and an angry direwolf, not to mention....dealing with and maybe making allies/protectors out of the Skagosi will result in Rickon's personal development being much more civilized than many think.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of them, and for now, Davos is one of the few POVs who can give us back Rickon, give us an idea of what will happen to him and Osha (GRRM has alluded to more Osha, thanks to TVOsha), and it's Davos POV that has the best chance of giving us the backstory on Rickon, if and when he rejoins the story. I hadn't considered the angle of Davos looking on Rickon as a father, that just makes it even more likely, IMO.......that this group will make it back to the story, and last for awhile.

I am hopeful that Davos was sent with some men, but that the Skagosi will be the wildcards in the situation, and will be added numbers for Rickon and Davos with which to appear and turn a battle, if the timing is right. I just don't see Manderly lying about being willing to swear allegiance to Stannis IF his liege lord is returned to him, but I do wonder how other Northmen might lean. Will some want to make Rickon KitN, or will they realize their best chance against everyone in the south means aligning with Stannis? It makes for many interesting decisions, but I do think Davos will make it, for at least a good while, if not til the end of the story. He seems a survivor, Davos does.

I personally think that the "Skaggs" will become Rickon's most loyal bannermen and Davos will return with Rickon and a small army

I think this as well so lets hope we're not all wrong! The Skagosi did have a rebellion 100years or so ago and it took a while to put down so they should some decent fighters/population that will hopefully cause a giant swing against Bolton and his cronies.

One thing I'm hoping for when Davos reappears, is his POV telling us whether or not the Skagosi put him in a cell for awhile, before allowing him access to Rickon. It seems The Onion Knight is touring lots of jails, cells, and dungeons for the reader and could write a guide book for tourists, LOL I'm hoping he has a dungeon story to look back on for us, that could also be one way to clear up this cannibalism business, Davos telling us about the dungeon fare.

I don't think the cannibalism of the Skagosi is a myth like some people believe. I hope that the Skagosi show us the savage aspect of Northern culture and I hope that includes ritualistic cannibalism. Not that they eat people as part of their diet, but for religious reasons. You know eat your foes and gain their strength and all that.

I don't think the cannibalism of the Skagosi is a myth like some people believe. I hope that the Skagosi show us the savage aspect of Northern culture and I hope that includes ritualistic cannibalism. Not that they eat people as part of their diet, but for religious reasons. You know eat your foes and gain their strength and all that.

On Skagos? Well, heart trees only see half of what goes on on Skagos...

I think it might be more in terms of eating their dead in winter, when the food runs low. Skagos seems to be pretty poor.

Archived