Could a United 7 Kingdoms of Westeros conquer the Free Cities?

Frey Kings

I think it's hard to rule a kingdom across a sea. You would have to install someone you trusted implicitly to rule in your stead and trust that they won't try to do what they think is best, not what you want. The Free Cities are also far more connected to other cultures than Westeros, I'd say. The Dothraki, for example, ride into the free cities to trade, ect. You don't have many Dothraki in Westeros because of their fear of water. So now you're looking at a portion of your kingdom across the Narrow Sea, with (hopefully) someone you can trust ruling in your name, and facing hostile natives and other outsiders who freely come and go.

I think it's hard to rule a kingdom across a sea. You would have to install someone you trusted implicitly to rule in your stead and trust that they won't try to do what they think is best, not what you want. The Free Cities are also far more connected to other cultures than Westeros, I'd say. The Dothraki, for example, ride into the free cities to trade, ect. You don't have many Dothraki in Westeros because of their fear of water. So now you're looking at a portion of your kingdom across the Narrow Sea, with (hopefully) someone you can trust ruling in your name, and facing hostile natives and other outsiders who freely come and go.

They say the sun never set on british land.

It would end in sieges I'd think, and be won or lost at sea. If the Westeros fleet could successfully blockade a city the siege would be successful and they'd take it. Otherwise the cities would just hide behind their walls and be fed from the sea.

They say the sun never set on british land.

True. But it wasn't easy. Didn't say Westeros couldn't just that it would be difficult.

ETA: Also, I understand that your question presupposes that Westeros remains united and stable, but to be realistic, Westeros is going to have to experience some difficulty. And even if they united under one king tomorrow, they're still 6(?) million in debt between the Iron Bank and The Lannisters. That's going to take some time to pay off, and war and conquest takes money.

True. But it wasn't easy. Didn't say Westeros couldn't just that it would be difficult.

ETA: Also, I understand that your question presupposes that Westeros remains united and stable, but to be realistic, Westeros is going to have to experience some difficulty. And even if they united under one king tomorrow, they're still 6(?) million in debt between the Iron Bank and The Lannisters. That's going to take some time to pay off, and war and conquest takes money.

In another folklore, they say: One ring to rule them all

In this folklore, I'd say: One crown to rule them all

In another folklore, they say: One ring to rule them all

In this folklore, I'd say: One crown to rule them all

Okay, so which Free City falls first? Which one does Westeros go after first...is there one that's more strategically important and would fall the easiest?

Okay, so which Free City falls first? Which one does Westeros go after first...is there one that's more strategically important and would fall the easiest?

Thats the topic at hand, Could a United 7 Kingdoms of Westeros conquer the Free Cities of Essos?

They would have some strong success at first.

A united Westeros army would number somewhere between 250,000 and 300,00.

Tyrosh, Lys, Myr, Pentos, Norvos and Qohor wouldn't be too hard. Braavos and Volantis would be the real struggle. Both are considered to be among the most powerful cities in Essos.

The real problem though would come down to keeping all this land. Dothraki would eventually get wind and likely come east for some of the action. A war torn country side would be easy pickings for the Horse Lords. Forget years, this conquest would last decades and probably end with only a few Westerosi strongholds remaining in Essos.

Tyrosh, Lys, Myr, Pentos, Norvos and Qohor wouldn't be too hard. Braavos and Volantis would be the real struggle. Both are considered to be among the most powerful cities in Essos.

The real problem though would come down to keeping all this land. Dothraki would eventually get wind and likely come east for some of the action. A war torn country side would be easy pickings for the Horse Lords. Forget years, this conquest would last decades and probably end with only a few Westerosi strongholds remaining in Essos.

I agree. It's harder to keep it than it would be to take it. Braavos, I think, will be very hard to take. And if they spend too much time trying to take Braavos, the others that they have taken already, might rise up and rebel in the interval

i will say pentos .. this is what danny has to do it seems conquer essos and wait for the westrosi people to abondon westros to WW and children of forest and return to the lands from where they first came ....and danny will be waiting to recieve them as a queen

its defintely an bittersweet ending aye

Aegon the Conquerer took what <a year to get the kingdoms of Westeros to bend the knee (except Dorne). You're forgetting the Free Cities Folk are civilized people and fighting is not on top of their agenda. They'll bend the knee and continue living and conducting their everyday business except they are a part of the King's realm. :)

Dothraki raids will be contained and they;ll tire them out like the wildlings on the other side of the wall. I'm sure they're smart enough to come up with something to make the Dothrakis think "oh hai raiding west isnt worth it anymore".

Archived