GRRM Not Writing for Season 5

Westeros

Does he also know why they needlessly change things from his books for no other reason than 'we can'?

Good for George for distancing himself, as much as I think it's a bullshit excuse because come on, he procrastinates so much it's not very believable when he says 'oh, can't, gotta write'.

Poor guy can't do anything right as far as the fandom is concerned, can he? Dammed if he does, dawned if he doesn't.

Any issues between D&D and GRRM are purely the fault of Martin. There would be no tension if he knew the books would finish first.

There was never going to be a "perfect" adaption of the books. The books are too complicated for a television show. Actually, I would say his books are too complicated for books as well.

D&D have done an amazing job with the source material.

Poor guy can't do anything right as far as the fandom is concerned, can he? Dammed if he does, dawned if he doesn't.

Well let's not feel too bad for him and his million of dollars and a cool job, shall we? :)

I really don't think Grrm is distancing himself from the show but I do believe he feels a little more urgency at the moment.

I think his reason for not writing the episode couldn't be further from the truth. Hopefully he will indeed use that time to write but I doubt it.

I don't think they've mistreated his books, the books are still there, just like we found them. I love the adaptation though. He'll be writing the following books because that's what he's been saying for years, so it's time he sat down and wrote them because 'words are wind'.

Any issues between D&D and GRRM are purely the fault of Martin. There would be no tension if he knew the books would finish first.

There was never going to be a "perfect" adaption of the books. The books are too complicated for a television show. Actually, I would say his books are too complicated for books as well.

D&D have done an amazing job with the source material.

That's just not true. What do you want to do? Point a gun to his head and yell write?

D&D have twisted his work, very often straying from source material for no good reason. I don't think the books are too complicated - only for these writers they are. Whenever Cogman writes an episode you see the major improvement.

It's THE hottest property on TV right now though. Thrones excitement is literally every where. Will they really end it at 7?

I think a lot of that excitement will die down in the next few seasons because the story really starts to meander. Perhaps D&D will be able to keep it tight enough to keep up the enthusiasm. But ultimately, yes, I think HBO want to avoid the problem of having the story get too big and feel like it's not going anywhere. They will most likely stick to their guns. And of course, there is the issue of actors' contracts to consider. Those all end after 7 seasons and would probably cost a fortune to renew. It really looks like 7 is all there is.

That's just not true. What do you want to do? Point a gun to his head and yell write?

D&D have twisted his work, very often straying from source material for no good reason. I don't think the books are too complicated - only for these writers they are. Whenever Cogman writes an episode you see the major improvement.

He can go as slow as he wants. It would just make him look foolish to get mad about the show finishing first.

Twisted his work? Really? They have stayed faithful to so much in the books. If you can't be happy with the "adaption", nothing will please you.

I think a lot of that excitement will die down in the next few seasons because the story really starts to meander. Perhaps D&D will be able to keep it tight enough to keep up the enthusiasm. But ultimately, yes, I think HBO want to avoid the problem of having the story get too big and feel like it's not going anywhere. They will most likely stick to their guns. And of course, there is the issue of actors' contracts to consider. Those all end after 7 seasons and would probably cost a fortune to renew. It really looks like 7 is all there is.

If they do 7a and 7b like Breaking Bad or Sopranos do they still need to renew the contracts? Because that would give them more episodes while under pretense of one season

If they do 7a and 7b like Breaking Bad or Sopranos do they still need to renew the contracts? Because that would give them more episodes while under pretense of one season

D&D have said that 10 episodes take them all year to create. They can't increase the number of episodes. So they would end up spending another 6 months to a year on the show if this was done. I just don't see that happening.

Why is 7 seasons so hard for people to accept as fact? It will be 70 episodes. That is it.

He can go as slow as he wants. It would just make him look foolish to get mad about the show finishing first.

Twisted his work? Really? They have stayed faithful to so much in the books. If you can't be happy with the "adaption", nothing will please you.

My standards are a bit higher than stuff like threatening to cut LS 'because we don't have time' while they spend so much time on filler, burping whores, Shae/Tysha switch, Jaime characterization being all over the place, brothel being the centerpiece of King's Landing and dozens of others. The show may be entertaining but 'faithful', not after s4 is not.

I think they've done a great job so far and a better job than most people working in Hollywood and tv would. You take Stephen King's the Shining: Kubrick made an amazing film that many people like to Watch but it was very different from the book. Ultimately, the people adapting the books might have found something in the books that is important to them but not to you and so as film and tv are visual mediums changes to structure and plot and characters have to be made because ultimately the person driving the adaptation is the person adapting it and their iterpretation of the work might differ from yours: shit will change.

I think his reason for not writing the episode couldn't be further from the truth. Hopefully he will indeed use that time to write but I doubt it.

Again, while I'm sure he'd like the show not to change anything, Grrm must recognize how many viewers are tuning in and obsessing over his story. I do not think he's distancing himself at all. Some book readers may feel like the show is a failing disaster (who doesn't wish a scene could have been more like the books) but overall there are exponentially more viewers and they love the show.

I think the show is doing a really good job with a book series that has installments of over 1000 pages each and includes literally hundreds of named characters that exist on 3 continents (if you consider the lands north of the wall as it's own world). Things have to change and be adapted.

Of course. It would need to be shot a year later and that would be outside of the contract. And no, they have already said they can't shoot 2 episodes in the time they normally shoot one so they can't try to combine it all in the last year.

My standards are a bit higher than stuff like threatening to cut LS 'because we don't have time' while they spend so much time on filler, burping whores, Shae/Tysha switch, Jaime characterization being all over the place, brothel being the centerpiece of King's Landing and dozens of others. The show may be entertaining but 'faithful', not after s4 is not.

Yeah, I agree, some of the stuff like the burping whores is ridiculous.

Again, while I'm sure he'd like the show not to change anything, Grrm must recognize how many viewers are tuning in and obsessing over his story. I do not think he's distancing himself at all. Some book readers may feel like the show is a failing disaster (who doesn't wish a scene could have been more like the books) but overall there are exponentially more viewers and they love the show.

I think the show is doing a really good job with a book series that has installments of over 1000 pages each and includes literally hundreds of named characters that exist on 3 continents (if you consider the lands north of the wall as it's own world). Things have to change and be adapted.

Of course. It would need to be shot a year later and that would be outside of the contract. And no, they have already said they can't shoot 2 episodes in the time they normally shoot one so they can't try to combine it all in the last year.

Why can't they shoot it all at once? Why a year later? It's been done before.

Archived