Was Daeron the Young Dragon and Baelor the Blessed gay?

King Jon Targaryen I

I mean this is just a observation but Daeron really had no queen and he never married which makes it seem to me that he was likely gay or he was asexual I don't know since both of them didn't have any children so Aegon III line kinda died out. Baelor its interesting to think maybe his religious fanaticism was over the fact that he was ashamed of his homosexuality. I mean I say this because you have right wing anti-gay Christians today that preach religious scripture and you find out there in the closet so the speak while gay bashing calling it a sin. I know he locked away his sisters because he was afraid of carnal lust but it could have been because he felt the Targaryen incest was shameful yes but he probably had no interest in women. Its just a theory I have that maybe the 2 brothers where likely gay though with Daeron I am leaning towards asexual but Baelor IMO was likely gay. Plus the Seven does look down upon homosexual behavior last time I remembered cause of andal culture.

Baelor was supposedly attracted to his sisters - which is why he imprisoned them, so that they could not tempt him (or other men). This does not suggest that Baelor was homosexual. We have also no reason to believe that there are cultures norms and concepts encouraging men to be ashamed of their homosexuality. Laenor, Daeron, Renly, and Loras seem to be fine with it. The Faith is not really the Catholic Church, you know...

Daeron died at 18. The fact he hadn't married and taken a Queen by that age doesn't really indicate he was gay or asexual. He was so young we can't really get an accurate idea of anything. He might have had several lovers, or even several bastards for all we know.

Also, there doesn't appear to be the same homophobia in the Faith of the Seven that exists in Evangelical Christianity, nor can I really remember anything that indicates Andal culture demonises homosexuals.

Or Daeron was just 18 when he died and had set his mind on other things than marriage alliances and family planning at that point.

Or Baelor actually desired his sisters and saw his celibacy as an effort.

I mean, I totally agree that there should be more non-heterosexual characters in fiction. There should even be more non-heterosexual AND non-homosexual characters. But obsessively assigning everyone who doesn't lust over men/women the way it's "expected" the label of "hidden homosexual" or "asexual" is helping nobody.

Daeron I wanted to marry his sister Rhaena to the Sealord of Braavos (the phrasing in TWoIaF is bad; the fact that the sister in question is Rhaena is confirmed by the MUSH), not marry a sister/daughter of the Sealord.

Daeron I wanted to marry his sister Rhaena to the Sealord of Braavos (the phrasing in TWoIaF is bad; the fact that the sister in question is Rhaena is confirmed by the MUSH), not marry a sister/daughter of the Sealord.

Yay for Rhaena's character development! So she was set up for Sealord of Braavos.

We don't know who arranged Baelor's betrothal and eventual marriage to Daena, but considering the fact that Daena was Daeron's eldest sister, it is unlikely that he (or Prince Viserys) chose her for Baelor if Daeron I himself was not already betrothed to another.

Thus my guess is that Aegon III and Queen Daenaera Velaryon arranged Daeron's marriage to a daughter of Baela Targaryen and Alyn Velaryon, but Daeron I never had a chance to go through with it. Perhaps because that daughter 4-5 years younger than he was and thus it was not proper to marry her. The fact that he warred nearly constantly throughout his short reign would have been another factor.

Baelor and Daena could marry because they were hanging out in KL - and it is very likely that Prince Viserys and not Daeron I pushed for that already arranged marriage so that Baelor and Daena could continue Aegon's line should Daeron I die in battle (which he eventually did).

Archived