Winter Wolves 2.0?

Floki of the Ironborn

One of my favourite parts of WOIAF is its account of the Dance of Dragons, and how Cregan Stark gathered a force of thousands of landless men, second sons, and adventurers who wanted to spare their families from more mouths to feed. So they instead marched south to fight in a war, and most of them either died or settled in the southern lands.

Given the situation with the North rallying to Stannis, I'm wondering if we'll see a similar situation where even among the non-military population (around 90-98% of the actual Northern population, based on other people's guesses). Will we see a return of Winter Wolves fighting for the Stark boy and/or the King who Cared?

Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue.

Big Bucket Wull

When the fit hits the shan I put my money on the guy with nothing to lose, who expects to die. The other guy is thinking about survival, getting home to his wife and children, not dying. In this case despite what the Frey and Bolton men tell themselves, they know they're in the wrong and are less like to die for the cause. My guess the battle starts to turn and they run. While the Northmen rout. There is something to be said for having nothing to lose, there's power in that.

I really like this idea. I was excited when I read that part also. The most dangerous man is the man not afraid to die.

There is truth to that. Men who are willing to sacrifice themselves for their families means they have nothing to lose when fighting.

Archived