Can GRRM finish ASOIAF in 2 books?

Lord of Nutella

How is that a proper buildup?

Who are they, what do they want, why, and how are they planning to achieve it?

I didn't know there was a "proper" way to build up any evil threat... None of those questions really matter. We know how, we've seen it. Knowing they're coming with seemingly no intent but to kill, the threat is still important

I didn't know there was a "proper" way to build up any evil threat... None of those questions really matter. We know how, we've seen it. Knowing they're coming with seemingly no intent but to kill, the threat is still important

One proper way would be to give them a reason for their actions, which we lack. And yes, the question does matter. Evil mindless killing machines is weak writing, despite what you think.

One proper way would be to give them a reason for their actions, which we lack. And yes, the question does matter. Evil mindless killing machines is weak writing, despite what you think.

They're not mindless. They clearly have intelligence. And motivation; its just a lot simpler than people want to admit. They want to kill humans. Call it weak writing, but it is an old trope invoked in many cases of classic literature.

They're not mindless. They clearly have intelligence. And motivation; its just a lot simpler than people want to admit. They want to kill humans. Call it weak writing, but it is an old trope invoked in many cases of classic literature.

But why do they want to kill humans? What do they gain? And I thought GRRM was all about subverting tropes and specifically talked about LOTR's orcs as an example?

But why do they want to kill humans? What do they gain? And I thought GRRM was all about subverting tropes and specifically talked about LOTR's orcs as an example?

He's never said he's all about subverting tropes. He's said he wants to do some things different. The only time I recall him talking about Orcs is in relation to how Aragorn ruled, and the point was more about showing the harsh realities of governance than subverting tropes.

He does seem really set on finishing it in two 1500 manuscript-pages books. Thing is, I'm pretty sure the 1500 is right on the mark. Anything over that, and I believe the publishers will force the book to be split in 2. So 8 books is like a given for me.

Spoilers from the leaked outlines:

Looked like his original plan was to have Dany invade in book 2 and than have the Others invade in Book 3. Now, it looks like he's going to combine the two events which could make it easier to finish in 2 books

If he can skip some borderline meaningless things, like a character going from point A to B with nothing happening, I can see him finishing it in 7 books total. But if he sticks with his habits from Book 4 and 5 where he has to write every detail for characters like Arya/Brienne/Tyrion/Aegon walking from point A to B, it's going to be a long ride again. For example, Davos in tWoW. Will GRRM write about every pit stop Davos makes on his way to Rickon?

If he can skip some borderline meaningless things, like a character going from point A to B with nothing happening, I can see him finishing it in 7 books total. But if he sticks with his habits from Book 4 and 5 where he has to write every detail for characters like Arya/Brienne/Tyrion/Aegon walking from point A to B, it's going to be a long ride again. For example, Davos in tWoW. Will GRRM write about every pit stop Davos makes on his way to Rickon?

Davos besieges the Dreadfort while on the way to Skagos?

I just did :/

Well then let me specify. You can do it all you want, but that does not make it true. You can't do it with a good basis or without sounding like an entitled, bitter, angry child.

He can't do it well then.

To your standards, maybe. But then, he isn't writing to please you, is he?

Doubtful... ASOS had a lot of action going on everywhere, but the situation was less complex as it was all-out war instead of the pieces getting ready for war, the best pace that WoW could get would be that of ACOK... If he avoids creating yet a new subplot, then it may be possible to rush some things or really downgrading the conflict for the throne or the war of dawn and then finish in 2 books.

But seeing how books 4 and 5 went, unless that book 6 really gets the grinds moving in some really big moves, most likely we'll end with a cliffhager on yet another subplot with people we never cared in the first 3 books.

I already gave up on the whole thing and will enjoy the ending from D&D's misogynistic minds in the tv show... so if George planss on 3 or even more books, I don't really care much longer.

Archived