Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darth Richard II

Authors who vanished from the face of the planet

93 posts in this topic

Not sure about the reason, but the pseudonym wasn't supposed to be outed as such I don't think.

I would guess it was a pseudonym for business rather than personal reasons. Booksellers order copies of new titles based on the sales of an author's previous work, so pseudonyms are sometimes used to get away from the cycle of low sales and low orders associated with the author's earlier books. If the stuff published under Volsky's real name sold too poorly, or if the publisher thought the new series had a chance to do significantly better, they might have asked for the change. That was what happened with Sarah Monette. Tor picked her up after Ace dropped her, but on the condition that she use a pseudonym for her new work, which is why The Goblin Emperor says Katherine Addison on the cover even though Monette has always been open about being the author.

Thanks Brendan. I can't imagine poor sales being the reason behind the name change. Illusion was a big seller at the time, and was nominated for several awards. Ms. Volsky was hot in the 1990s. She moved from Ace to Bantam, and then remained with Bantam... then disappeared, only to reappear 11 years later, still writing for Bantam, but under a pseudonym. But not a pseudonym they make female authors take to hide the fact that they're female (like P.A. Volsky or something).

My god, those romance covers! :/

Where's Mike Millar ! Guy was gonna be the next GRRM. Kurt Russell endorsed him too

That's how quite a few people felt about Mark , yes

Charles Dickens... what every happened to that guy? It's been decades. Doesn't even update his twitter or instagram.

James Branch Cabell. who wrote over 50 fantasy novels . His most famous of which is Jurgen which was one a well known and celebrated novel .  He was master ironic humor .  He's almost forgotten.   

16 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

James Branch Cabell. who wrote over 50 fantasy novels . His most famous of which is Jurgen which was one a well known and celebrated novel .  He was master ironic humor .  He's almost forgotten.   

Uh, I don't think you understood the topic correctly.

15 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Uh, I don't think you understood the topic correctly.

Yes, I see that now.:wub:

2 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Yes, I see that now.:wub:

I don't think you understood that emoji correctly either.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I don't think you understood that emoji correctly either.

Anything else.? :rolleyes: