Was Margaery replaced by Olenna?

Jan Michael Mil

So, we're obviously past book territory here and I'm curious as to what you all think regarding Margaery and Olenna.

We all know D&D favor Diana Rigg as an actress and Olenna as a character, that's why she has had more screentime than she did in the books. I wonder if Olenna does the things she does in the books as well(allying with Dorne) or if Maybe Margaery gets to be the one to do it and the only reason it's been changed for the show is because they prefer Diana over Natalie.

Or maybe the Tyrells have a very different storyline in the books, considering Marg has other brothers?

2 hours ago, Jan Michael Mil said:

So, we're obviously past book territory here and I'm curious as to what you all think regarding Margaery and Olenna.

We all know D&D favor Diana Rigg as an actress and Olenna as a character, that's why she has had more screentime than she did in the books. I wonder if Olenna does the things she does in the books as well(allying with Dorne) or if Maybe Margaery gets to be the one to do it and the only reason it's been changed for the show is because they prefer Diana over Natalie.

Or maybe the Tyrells have a very different storyline in the books, considering Marg has other brothers?

I don't think D&D do favour Diana over Natalie. Natalie has had a huge amount of screen time - Margaery is considerably more prominent in the show than she is in the books.

The books are much more complicated because of Aegon, Quentyn, Arriane and Elia. There is an entire additional side and I doubt Dorne and Highgarden will be on the same one. I don't think the show really provides hints here, Cersei may not even "win" her trial by blowing up the sept even though that was one of the shows better ideas.

4 minutes ago, Winds of Winter blow cold said:

Both characters are bigger on the show.

Both those actresses have their acting chops, something that wasn't true of the child-actors, especially starting out, although some have begun to grow into it.  But they'll never be a Charles Dance or Diana Rigg, or even a Jonathan Pryce or Sean Bean.  We've been very lucky to have actors who are so good at making you believe what they're selling as actors. It makes those who aren't good at it look bad, but there's nothing to be done there now.

I don't see how Olenna could have replaced Margaery in the story. It just plain wouldn't have made sense.

First Olenna would have had to be in KL's and burned with the others of High Garden.

Second, Margaery would have to not just somehow avoid being at the sept to not be burned, but she'd have to escape KL's and return to High Garden as well. But... there's a problem with that already, why would Margaery abandon Tommen if he was still alive?

Third, even in the books, Margaery is nowhere near as cunning or manipulative as Olenna. Olenna is simply a character who's better suited to be the last Tyrell who's seeking revenge on Cersei.

8 hours ago, Makk said:

The books are much more complicated because of Aegon, Quentyn, Arriane and Elia. There is an entire additional side and I doubt Dorne and Highgarden will be on the same one. I don't think the show really provides hints here, Cersei may not even "win" her trial by blowing up the sept even though that was one of the shows better ideas.

Yeah, all the elements that KL has going for it in the books, I really can't wait to read, now in the light that even the show was able to create something amazing with what little KL they had. I too doubt the trial plays out that way and the blown up Sept happens at all in the book.

As for Margaery, I think her fate is still tied with The Faith.  In the book, she is in a very healthy position to be acquitted, only for GRRM to naturally subvert that and the Faith will swiftly and unexpectedly chop off her head.  TBH, it's why I thought they cast smug Natalie Dormer to play Show!Margaery.

Archived