Valyrian Steel Swords Free For All

Curled Finger

8 hours ago, Seams said:

I hadn't matched this up with a specific missing VS sword. Orphan Maker would be a perfect match for Littlefinger, but wouldn't it be a delicious irony if the man who is helping Sansa to be a better liar had a "broken" Truth at the center of his dreary home? (I am always searching for Truth.)

Rehab would depend on the nature of the sword's breakage. If the blade is snapped in half, that's a difficult break to repair. If the hilt has come loose, that could be rigged with a make-shift repair by someone other than a smith, I would think.

You know Seams, Genry's being a skilled smith has to play in with more than a bull helm.   He may indeed have been taught the secrets to repair or reforging of a VS sword.  I'm thinking that a full on reforging would be sufficient to repair a broken sword.  Maybe that would actually be forging a new sword, but you know what I mean.  However, in dedication to a broken Truth being this sword at LS's home, it would be the most blatant honesty in the book.  Very nice irony for the biggest liar in the book.   I like it.   

It may just be the way I interpreted the chapter we visit LF's home in, but I think there are few visitors ever.  I'm still interested in a scenario in which the place would need to be revisited and by whom.   It sounds like a great place to hide out or take a prisoner.    

49 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

You know Seams, Genry's being a skilled smith has to play in with more than a bull helm.   He may indeed have been taught the secrets to repair or reforging of a VS sword.  I'm thinking that a full on reforging would be sufficient to repair a broken sword.  Maybe that would actually be forging a new sword, but you know what I mean.  However, in dedication to a broken Truth being this sword at LS's home, it would be the most blatant honesty in the book.  Very nice irony for the biggest liar in the book.   I like it.   

It may just be the way I interpreted the chapter we visit LF's home in, but I think there are few visitors ever.  I'm still interested in a scenario in which the place would need to be revisited and by whom.   It sounds like a great place to hide out or take a prisoner.    

I agree 1000%. I think LF has hatched the two dragon eggs he got from Penny's brother, Groat, and has his eccentric group of servants raising them at his remote ancestral home where no one will see them as they mature. But maybe there are other things hidden there. The secret of Littlefinger's family history, maybe?

Others in this forum have speculated that Littlefinger's favorite henchmen, the Kettleblack family, may be connected to the Whent family. Maybe that connection is the history of the broken sword over the hearth, in which case it would make sense for Sansa to get her hands on that sword.

On 26/2/2017 at 2:23 PM, Seams said:

I hadn't matched this up with a specific missing VS sword. Orphan Maker would be a perfect match for Littlefinger, but wouldn't it be a delicious irony if the man who is helping Sansa to be a better liar had a "broken" Truth at the center of his dreary home? (I am always searching for Truth.)

On 26/2/2017 at 6:40 AM, Curled Finger said:

Seams, I couldn't stand anymore intrigue with regard to Frickin Little Finger.   However, you gotta pay attention to a broken sword hung above the hearth.   Now then, if this sword is among the missing have you any idea how we could get back to the hood to take a better look at it?  I take it you are enjoying the line of thinking that a sellsword may have absconded with Orphan-Maker?  

I think we can make some guesses. Let's suppose Sansa didn't recognize VS because it was far, dark and the place was windowless. The longsword was broken by Littlefinger's father or grandfather, since his great-granfather wasn't a knight, the oak shield was done for his son. So it was broken from 240/5 circa to 280 circa, could it be? LF was born on 268.

The sword could have be given to LF's  father, but my guess is that it was given to his grandfather or it came from Bravoos with his great-grandfather. So first guess: house baelish owned it since 240 circa, someone gave it to them or they won/stole it, Second guess: It belongs to the family since Braavos, so it could have be stolen or won or taken in 210/220 circa.

I hope I didn't lose the thread, with all those numbers and generations.

But there is another question: would LF. given his love for powerful objects and heirloom, keep a VS hidden (even if broken)?

6 hours ago, Cridefea said:

I think we can make some guesses. Let's suppose Sansa didn't recognize VS because it was far, dark and the place was windowless. The longsword was broken by Littlefinger's father or grandfather, since his great-granfather wasn't a knight, the oak shield was done for his son. So it was broken from 240/5 circa to 280 circa, could it be? LF was born on 268.

The sword could have be given to LF's  father, but my guess is that it was given to his grandfather or it came from Bravoos with his great-grandfather. So first guess: house baelish owned it since 240 circa, someone gave it to them or they won/stole it, Second guess: It belongs to the family since Braavos, so it could have be stolen or won or taken in 210/220 circa.

But there is another question: would LF. given his love for powerful objects and heirloom, keep a VS hidden (even if broken)?

Maybe he used it in his duel with Brandon Stark over Catelyn's hand. Except it would have been recognized as VS if he used it there. (Unless it has a ruby in its hilt and is "glamored" so people wouldn't recognize it.)

4 hours ago, Seams said:

Maybe he used it in his duel with Brandon Stark over Catelyn's hand. Except it would have been recognized as VS if he used it there. (Unless it has a ruby in its hilt and is "glamored" so people wouldn't recognize it.)

11 hours ago, Cridefea said:

Nice replying backward again!  Sorry, I was just eager to jump into the conversation.    Numbers are very good.   You should do timelines!  

As to ruby glamoured swords, perhaps.  It's occurred to me that all our missing swords are right under our noses and we've all seen them without realizing what they are.  Glamours fit right in with that train of thought.   Frickin' Little Finger has a dagger or rather had a VS dagger.  This is a suspicious thing right here.  He's very cavalier about having lost it in a bet.  This guy seems to have an awful lot of money--I wonder if there isn't a whole lot of unexpected, exquisite stuff hidden on that little finger of isle.   Yes, I think he would hide things that would give away his plans or real value...I think it would be perfect for him not to know the broken sword is VS.   Joke's on him then.    

34 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

It's occurred to me that all our missing swords are right under our noses and we've all seen them without realizing what they are. 

Speaking of which, I just posted something about Lightbringer (or a NEW Lightbringer). But Mr. Ranger's not going to like it, Yogi. (It's not VS.)

19 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Nice replying backward again!  Sorry, I was just eager to jump into the conversation.    Numbers are very good.   You should do timelines!  

LoL Thank you!

I'm good with family trees and generation's history.

20 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

t's occurred to me that all our missing swords are right under our noses and we've all seen them without realizing what they are

That would be intriguing...

On 28/2/2017 at 11:35 PM, Seams said:

Except it would have been recognized as VS if he used it there.

Yes, exactly, anyway what do we know about that duel?

As for Truth, i love the idea! but for timing, places and families I think we cannot exclude it is Blackfyre (I really hope it's not because it's broken).

2 hours ago, Cridefea said:

Yes, exactly, anyway what do we know about that duel?

I have the feeling that the Brandon / Littlefinger duel is more important than most of us have suspected. I realize Catelyn asked Brandon not to kill Baelish, so the outcome was not what would have happened in a straightforward battle to the death. My suspicion is that Littlefinger didn't seek to wound Brandon with a sword. For some reason, I think his goal was to get him to step into the river. Because the final single combat between Robert and Rhaegar was also in a river, this seems significant. As soon as both Petyr and Brandon stepped in the river, Baelish received the near-fatal wound and the fight ended.

They met in the lower bailey of Riverrun. When Brandon saw that Petyr wore only helm and breastplate and mail, he took off most of his armor. Petyr had begged her for a favor he might wear, but she had turned him away. Her lord father promised her to Brandon Stark, and so it was to him that she gave her token, a pale blue handscarf she had embroidered with the leaping trout of Riverrun. As she pressed it into his hand, she pleaded with him. "He is only a foolish boy, but I have loved him like a brother. It would grieve me to see him die." And her betrothed looked at her with the cool grey eyes of a Stark and promised to spare the boy who loved her.

That fight was over almost as soon as it began. Brandon was a man grown, and he drove Littlefinger all the way across the bailey and down the water stair, raining steel on him with every step, until the boy was staggering and bleeding from a dozen wounds. "Yield!" he called, more than once, but Petyr would only shake his head and fight on, grimly. When the river was lapping at their ankles, Brandon finally ended it, with a brutal backhand cut that bit through Petyr's rings and leather into the soft flesh below the ribs, so deep that Catelyn was certain that the wound was mortal. He looked at her as he fell and murmured "Cat" as the bright blood came flowing out between his mailed fingers. She thought she had forgotten that.
(AGoT, Catelyn VII)

It's interesting that she describes what they wore, but never mentions the word "sword."

Of course, there's all kinds of weird possibilities when you think of Lady Dustin's story that Brandon liked to see blood on his sword.

The duel takes place in the lower bailey, which is not a term used often in the books. The lower bailey at the Red Keep is the place where Joffrey humiliates Sansa in front of a group of nobles. As she arrives, this image is part of the scene:

The Hound . . . conducted her to the lower bailey, where a crowd had gathered around the archery butts. . . . A yellow cat was dying on the ground, mewling piteously, a crossbow quarrel through its ribs. Sansa stepped around it, feeling ill.

(ACoK, Sansa III)

Does the yellow cat equate to Catelyn known as Cat? Its wound is similar to the wound that nearly killed Petyr, though.

Sorry, not directly VS-related (probably) but one of those little flashbacks that interests me.

19 hours ago, Seams said:

It's interesting that she describes what they wore, but never mentions the word "sword."

yes it's strange. Do you think LF broke the sword?  I think it was already broken at that time, but there is also the chance that GRRM didn't mention the sword not because LF is wearing an important sword during the duel, but because he doesn't want we associate LF to any sword, not until he shows us he's hiding one at home.

On 3/1/2017 at 9:23 PM, Seams said:

I have the feeling that the Brandon / Littlefinger duel is more important than most of us have suspected. I realize Catelyn asked Brandon not to kill Baelish, so the outcome was not what would have happened in a straightforward battle to the death. My suspicion is that Littlefinger didn't seek to wound Brandon with a sword. For some reason, I think his goal was to get him to step into the river. Because the final single combat between Robert and Rhaegar was also in a river, this seems significant. As soon as both Petyr and Brandon stepped in the river, Baelish received the near-fatal wound and the fight ended.

They met in the lower bailey of Riverrun. When Brandon saw that Petyr wore only helm and breastplate and mail, he took off most of his armor. Petyr had begged her for a favor he might wear, but she had turned him away. Her lord father promised her to Brandon Stark, and so it was to him that she gave her token, a pale blue handscarf she had embroidered with the leaping trout of Riverrun. As she pressed it into his hand, she pleaded with him. "He is only a foolish boy, but I have loved him like a brother. It would grieve me to see him die." And her betrothed looked at her with the cool grey eyes of a Stark and promised to spare the boy who loved her.

That fight was over almost as soon as it began. Brandon was a man grown, and he drove Littlefinger all the way across the bailey and down the water stair, raining steel on him with every step, until the boy was staggering and bleeding from a dozen wounds. "Yield!" he called, more than once, but Petyr would only shake his head and fight on, grimly. When the river was lapping at their ankles, Brandon finally ended it, with a brutal backhand cut that bit through Petyr's rings and leather into the soft flesh below the ribs, so deep that Catelyn was certain that the wound was mortal. He looked at her as he fell and murmured "Cat" as the bright blood came flowing out between his mailed fingers. She thought she had forgotten that.
(AGoT, Catelyn VII)

Of course, there's all kinds of weird possibilities when you think of Lady Dustin's story that Brandon liked to see blood on his sword.

The duel takes place in the lower bailey, which is not a term used often in the books. The lower bailey at the Red Keep is the place where Joffrey humiliates Sansa in front of a group of nobles. As she arrives, this image is part of the scene:

The Hound . . . conducted her to the lower bailey, where a crowd had gathered around the archery butts. . . . A yellow cat was dying on the ground, mewling piteously, a crossbow quarrel through its ribs. Sansa stepped around it, feeling ill.

(ACoK, Sansa III)

Does the yellow cat equate to Catelyn known as Cat? Its wound is similar to the wound that nearly killed Petyr, though.

Sorry, not directly VS-related (probably) but one of those little flashbacks that interests me.

Reminds me of the Dunk vs Lucas fight in the D&E. If Brandon had kept on his heavy armor and Baelish could get him off his feet in the river ...

Archived