[AFfC Spoilers] Best Death

Steve the Pirate

Joffrey needed to die, and I really disliked Lysa so both their death scenes were satisfying. But the best death, as in the character that had the best death scene, would probably be when Oberyn and Gregor fought. That was a tense combat were i really, really hoped the Red Viper would win, even though I didn't quite believe it.

Gregor has been the terror of westeros the first three books, and even though I wanted him to die, the story needed characters like him to make life feel dangerous for the character we care about.

Steve The Pirate really made me laugh. To love someone for the way he gets killed is hilarious. "We never were great friends but I came to love him in the end, when he died." Yes. is was the most surprising and gratifying death of all. Lysa is second best. Love this thread.

Most shocking: Robb. After Ned was offed, I immediately concluded: Ok, this is a story about the Stark kids, and how they have to get by (probably without Cat too) and struggle before coming together in the end and bla bla. So when I read the Red Wedding, I subconsciously picked up on all the warning signs, but I refused to acknowledge them, thinking "Robb has to survive, to avenge his father!" And I was extra pissed that they killed the wolf too.

Most satisfying: Lysa. Not much explanation needed.

Saddest death: Rodrik Cassel!! WTF, George!!?

Best death: Boromir (oh, wrong series) :blush:

Guest Other-in-law

Yeah, I thought Viserys' death was the most shocking and horrifying. Not "surprise!" shocking, cuz I knew his days were numbered, but I was shocked by how brutal it was. Vargo Hoat's long and drawn out death (though only told in flashbacks) comes close.

Tywin's and Lysa's were the sweetest.

The most shocking and "what the fuck? No!" one for me was the Red Wedding... That scene is written so incredibly. I'd actually say the saddest one for me was Maester Lewin's; the end of A Clash of Kings is so incredibly pessimistic in the North (well, until that last line), and it just all comes out through that conversation Bran and Rickon have with him before he dies. But, the coolest death was definitely Lysa's. I had never liked Littlefinger at all, but in that moment he completely redeemed himself fifty times over. Oh yes, and the Red Viper. Damn, there are a lot of great deaths in this series.

Oathkeeper, I think I detect a fellow Jaime/Brienne fan – no wonder we are so often in agreement.

Steve the Pirate, I am of course only joking in that I think LF will end up King of Westeros – but hey, I don’t find it more addlepated than some of the other theories I’ve been reading (survival of Aegon, Rhaegar’s son; survival of RHAEGAR, etc.) Hee! I’m just saying that’s one plot twist I’d never see coming!

SCrahan, I am terrified for Sansa in Littlefinger’s hands – not only is he a grand schemer, as I mentioned his whole Humbert Humbert thing with Sansa is incredibly creepy. I think she is in as grave of danger as she ever was in King’s Landing, even if she thinks she is safer.

Kyptonite, I think we’ll have to agree to disagree – while killing children is never good, I think I’d much rather have a man who does his killing face-to-face and admits to his crimes than someone like Littlefinger who smiles sweetly as he stabs you in the back with his dagger (or speaking of children – who develops a fixation on a child who happens to look like her mother whom he once loved… Eww!) At least with Sandor and with Jaime, you know where you stand; with Littlefinger, you don’t even know what game you're playing. I think he is far more evil than either of those two! Furthermore, I think it’s not out of the realm of possibility that LF is also committing the act – i.e. poisoning young Robert Arryn. Granted Sweetrobin is less appealing than Bran or Mycah the Butcher's Boy, but there's no extra license to kill annoying children :P

Kid Charlemagne, I figured Robb was a goner once there was no Robb POV (which indicated he wouldn’t be crucial to the ongoing story. I was totally surprised that CATELYN died, though. (And I completely agree with you re: Boromir, by the way!)

I actually have another favorite death as well, after AFfC – Maester Aemon’s. It’s not dramatic or terrifying or anything else – it’s just lovely and peaceful and quiet and I love that he’s all happy to be seeing Egg again. I’m only sorry he never got to see the dragons, but he was such a wonderful character and it was nice to see someone die peacefully and quietly after having lived so long and known so many tragedies in his life. It made me cry, but it was also so fitting and right. Awww, RIP, Maester Aemon – I loved you! (And now I want to reread the “Hedge Knight†stories where Egg is young and bald and fabulous!)

It's funny, the death of folks like Rodrik and Jory and Dacey (oh especially Dacey, oh Dacey how I loved you!) bother me to an unusual extent. It's like, ok you killed Ned and Cat and Robb but you have this whole "Bwahahah watch me kill your favorite protagonists!" thing going on, I'm down with that, but killing Dacey ... now THAT'S uncalled for.

Joffrey needed to die, and I really disliked Lysa so both their death scenes were satisfying. But the best death, as in the character that had the best death scene, would probably be when Oberyn and Gregor fought. That was a tense combat were i really, really hoped the Red Viper would win, even though I didn't quite believe it.

Gregor has been the terror of westeros the first three books, and even though I wanted him to die, the story needed characters like him to make life feel dangerous for the character we care about.

Actually the Viper DID kill the Mountain; he just took a book too die. Of horrible, horrible pain and screams and squeals like a little girl :D

As Qyburn mentions, the poison would have killed the mountain almost instantly, but it had been ensorcelled to make it thicker; this way it would hurt much muchmore. So basically the mountain was dead the intant oberyn tickled him with the spear; unfortunately Oberyn died first so officially speaking the duel was still won by the mortally woudned mountain.

Khal Drogo's death was sad as well; here dany had found peace and security after a small lifetime, and that was taken away from her (due partly to her own stupidity, yes, but still)

ANd QHoroin was a badass till the end!!! *sharp*

I seen Neds death coming. He was doomed and knew it, all his resistance to go south, memories about his father going there and never coming back. The way he leaves Winterfell like he's not coming back.

Right at the beginning I thought that main character is going to be Jon Snow, not Ned Stark.

Yeah Mag the mighty too, the giants gave it their all! :)

Viserys Death seems so much worse now that we know that Dorne would have been their foothold in Westeros with the arranged marriage of Viserys and Arrianne.

You can only feel heartbroken for Doran, who could have been able to give his sister's death some vengeance, and given the remaining dragons the support they needed - After all the Martell's were loyal to the last battles during Robert's Rebellion.

For shock-Ned

For awesomeness-Oberyn

For i really hated that character to bad their death wasnt exponentially more painful-Joffrey

For you just had your reality shattered into a million pieces, then the man you thought loved you pushed you off a mountain-Lysa

For saddest-Ygritte

For damnit why did Martin do that- Robb

For most heroic-Donal Noye

Tough question. There are so many good ones, but I'll go with Ned, for the sole reason that I was legitimately shocked. Once Ned died, I understood the "rules" George RR Martin was playing by, and even if I didn't expect Tywin or Lysa to die as they did, I wasn't shocked. But Ned's death blew me away and made me realize nobody is really safe.

Lady Softheart: Well, I try not to be as calculating as that ;). Anyhow, I think Sansa is safe with LittleFinger as long as she isn't all-out against him. He's projected his love for Cat onto Sansa, and marrying her obviously comes second (if that) only to scooping up as much power as he can. I like the guy.

Lady Blackfish: I hear you. One thing is the lords and the ladies, it's sort of an occupational hazard, but why kill all the smallfolk? That takes away the last shred of identity and sense of origin from the Starks. But maybe that was necessary in order for them to "break free" and follow their destined paths?

Andhaira: I remain unconvinced that Gregor is actually deceased.

Andhaira: I remain unconvinced that Gregor is actually deceased.

He is very much deceased, as it becomes apparetn when yo uread QY's entrees. He mentions ther eis nothing even he can do, and requests cersei to let him take grego down to the dungeons for study. Since QYburn is a necromancer, he will need the mountian to be dead before reanimating him/melding him with the women to make him into a gloem, etc etc. Thats kind of how the others do it, i.e. they need corpses for reanimation.

Therefore, it is obviousthe mountain is dead. Keep in mind thoros's reanimation too require the victim to be dead; even though his reanimation is different than qyburns necromacny. (the victim retains memories/speech) QYburns reanimation though, will not have any memory or speech, it will just be a really big wight.

Archived