Second life appearence by George R R Martin

davec

I created an avatar the other day, but got incredibly annoyed with "Orientation Island" ("Bazz Runo" by the way). Can I just teleport off that crapheap without having to pass all of its little events first? I tried to just fly away and the ocean was endless.

Look on the SL homepage for ads for different shopping districts or furry pr0n island or whatever, and then directly teleport there. You can also see an overview of the world with a map -- a lot of the islands are grouped around each other. Some are private, but most aren't.

I have no idea how many people are going to show up for this, but if you're a n00b I suggest showing up approx 45 minutes early and just camping your avatar in the corner. (if you right-click a chair, you'll see a pull-down menu with "sit" in it. highlight that, and you're golden).

Then I'll be the girl-next-door ("Cersei Laarsson") sitting quietly in a chair, probably facing backwards.

Thanks for the list, Ran!

Okay, Arbor Gold and I met up and found the simulcast spot in the Lost Gardens of Apollo -- it's the "Hyacinth Valley", kinda near the Apollo Harbor.

I do have an annoying problem -- the "Orientation Island" instruction block is still taking up a quarter of my screen. I did all four tasks, but it never credited me for the fourth, and then forgot I did one, and wouldn't let me do it again...

Once I left Orientation Island, it's not letting me go back. I'd like to just get rid of the info block, but it doesn't have a close box. Any suggestions?

:thumbsup:

ETA: Bazz: I had the same problem on Orientation Island. You must've skipped something supid. I had to go through all the tasks and make sure I completed everything. All of the sudden, for some odd reason, it let me proceed and registered me as "completed".

It wouldn't even let me create an account. :( Just said "You are unable to create an account at this time", with no information about what the problem was, after going through the avatar creation and name choice and registration info steps.

I was trying from work (where I still am), and suspect it may have something to do with accessing the internet over a LAN. Can anybody confirm or deny that SecondLife has a problem with setting up accounts when connecting via Ethernet and TCP/IP?

:thumbsup:

ETA: Bazz: I had the same problem on Orientation Island. You must've skipped something supid. I had to go through all the tasks and make sure I completed everything. All of the sudden, for some odd reason, it let me proceed and registered me as "completed".

The problem is now that I've left Orientation Island, I can't go back -- I can only go to "Public Orientation Island" which is a diff't place. Not sure if that would allow me to complete the "box". I'd rather just be rid of the thing, since I can figure out how to get around on my own.

ETA: Nevermind. When I logged on again, the box was gone. Problem solved.

I was trying from work (where I still am), and suspect it may have something to do with accessing the internet over a LAN. Can anybody confirm or deny that SecondLife has a problem with setting up accounts when connecting via Ethernet and TCP/IP?

It could be a firewall issue. I can't access from work (which is fucking stupid because 98% of my SL time is FOR work, but there you have it) because of the firewall. If that's the case, make sure there are SL "exceptions" in your firewall permissions lists. I can *sometimes* get answers through Linden Labs/SL's help pages. Also, try logging in anyway? Sometimes things just puke, and you're actually logged in (this happens all the time when I try to log in to the SL homepage (not Linden/SL itself) -- it gives me an error message, but lets me continue to my account details anyway. WTF? :huh:

Bazz/AG: Glad you found the meeting place -- is it in those huge pavilions on the one side of the island near the gigantor towers (which I teleported to, and then couldn't get back out for about 5 minutes. :lol: )

I created an av but the program crashes on my home PC when I try to load it (and runs really slowly). I'm running Windows2000 with a DSL connection. Does the beta version of the download work better?

Hope to join you if I get this figured out.

There's a teleporter chair that'll get you to the Hyacinth Valley, BTW. Or you can use this SLurl to get you there directly. The only thing I've just noticed is that it's a really popular sort of location for hanging out (because it really is quite pretty), so its utility for avoiding the ~50-60 cap may not be that great.

OTOH, the Sliterary building's area seems less popular. So that might be a good fall-back position if the Lost Gardens are too busy at show time.

I'm Ran Garrigus over there, BTW, in case you guys end up wondering. ;) I'd recommend joining the A Song of Ice and Fire group. I was pondering creating a BwB group, actually...

Mack,

It's at 6PM SL time (equivalent of Pacific)/9PM EST. So a fair while away.

I think my characters name is Nobbietoes Shingleton. Its been a while though.

Edit - I was about to ask about why no one had posted a SLurl yet. I see Ran has now. Easiest way for you guys to find it.

SLurls don't work easily with the Linux client + Firefox, n00bs (at least not right out of the gate). Now, I may be the only person on this board using that particular combination, but IMHO giving more information (like how to search for places in-world) is better than less. Plus, it'll help you when you get bored shitless, fly off into the ocean, and then can't figure out how the fuck to get back home. ;)

ETA: what's plan B if the first island fills up?

When I searched "Lost Gardens of Apollo" and teleported there, Hyacinth Valley was where I showed up. It's a pretty, greenish grove with lots of large blooming flowers and a waterfall on one side ("Hyacinth Falls"). The only big building structure nearby are the "Apollo Docks" which is the largest Island structure and borders one edge. If you're truly confused, there is a map of the Island in one of the corners that identifies the areas, including Hyacinth Valley.

Archived