American Idol

RedSock in Westeros

Have you never had any desire to watch mindless shit? And every so often you actually get a really worthwhile bonus moment, like Fantasia singing Summertime.

I can't watch soap operas, etc., but American Idol is just about the right level. I can't say I'd rush home to watch or anything, but I do record it on the DVR in case I'm in the mood.

Have you never had any desire to watch mindless shit? And every so often you actually get a really worthwhile bonus moment, like Fantasia singing Summertime.

I can't watch soap operas, etc., but American Idol is just about the right level. I can't say I'd rush home to watch or anything, but I do record it on the DVR in case I'm in the mood.

Oh, I understand why people watch it, just not the fact that its such a phenomenon.

I wondered that myself. Then I watched it and I actually found that I enjoyed it. I think it's rather cool to see an undiscovered nobody with a real vocal gift be discovered, learn how to perform and eventually move on to a career. Like Elliott Yamin, who probably has the best voice I've ever heard on the show, but started out as a stockboy at Foot Locker.

Then I found myself almost more interested by how the show and its producers obviously have their favorites and push them ahead of other contestants - either by giving them a better spot or just simply by watching the judges sandbag one performance and overly praise another.

It's all a bit fascinating. That being said, though, the show could be about half as long and it would be twice as good. I even don't hate Ryan Seacrest when I watch this show. He may be completely useless anywhere else on Earth, but in the context of the show, he's actually rather good.

I wondered that myself. Then I watched it and I actually found that I enjoyed it. I think it's rather cool to see an undiscovered nobody with a real vocal gift be discovered, learn how to perform and eventually move on to a career. Like Elliott Yamin, who probably has the best voice I've ever heard on the show, but started out as a stockboy at Foot Locker.

Then I found myself almost more interested by how the show and its producers obviously have their favorites and push them ahead of other contestants - either by giving them a better spot or just simply by watching the judges sandbag one performance and overly praise another.

It's all a bit fascinating. That being said, though, the show could be about half as long and it would be twice as good. I even don't hate Ryan Seacrest when I watch this show. He may be completely useless anywhere else on Earth, but in the context of the show, he's actually rather good.

Plus its fun to watch the train wreck that is Paula Abdul. :P

I wasn't an Elliot fan, I'm not sure if it was his dorky look, or his trying to do too much with a lot of the songs, but he never cliqued with me. But I did like his song choices most of the time. I ended up buying his cd and I really like it.

I just dug his voice. I think he did a Stevie Wonder song in the top 24 that actually made me rewind the DVR and hear it again. But mainly I just like that a guy like him or Daughtry can go on the show, get some exposure and have a different life.

It's a bit less fun when it's an obvious ringer (cough cough Carly Smithson cough cough) or some stage brat (Jordin Sparks, Katharine McPhee).

I like it when some goober like Clay Aiken can actually make a career out of it.

And yeah, there's not much better than watching words and phrases fall out of Paula's mouth with absolutely no coherence to them.

The guys started off really slow imo.

David Johns : was my favorite coming in, but his vocals were very mediocre.

Castro : I like this guy. I enjoyed the performance. Reminds me of a really good guy sitting up on stage at a watering hole, while you sit back and have a beer. Probably not a recording star, but the type of artist I enjoy just relaxing to.

Luke : Horrible. Unless vote for the worst saves him he should be gone.

Robbie : Ehh it was ok. I felt bad for him for all the fake rocker flack he's getting, but the performance was average at best.

Danny : I like this kid. He's so flamboyant I cant help it. Vocals were amongst the better ones of the night, and I like his charisma.

David Hernandez : Much better than last week. He should stick around another week

Jason Yeager. : Also better than last week, but the baseline was so low it would have been hard to be worse. He was a drunk dude doing karokee and not very well. Also should be gone

Chikeze : I love me some Donny Hathaway, and he did a very good job with it. My favorite performance of the night.

David Cook : AKA rooster boy. I hate this guy. I hate his looks, I hate his persona, but he was pretty darn good last night.

David Archeleta : Imagine.. its such a beautiful song. I'm not really gaga over how his voice sounds, seems to me he should be singing christian rock or something. But He is good, and he's the judges choice, and the tweener girls LOVE him. He really is the kid to beat.

I can't handle anymore of the androgenous wonder that is Danny Noriega. His "punk rocker" pictures they showed last night made him look even more feminine; if that's even possible. I also want the dude with the dreads gone.

I probably agree that it will be Luke and Jason that say goodbye. Funny, after last week I would have thought Chikeze would be on his way out... but he really did a hell of a job last night.

Your comment on David A. is probably spot on. He has the whole Jonas Brothers/Hannah Montana crowd locked up and will cruise through to at least the top 5 if not further. (Plus... was Paula crying last night after he sang???)

David Archuleta: He sang well and benefitted from a very good arrangement of "Imagine." Everyone knows that song, but he did something different with it that was not outrageous or too schmaltzy. He did a better job of not looking too "aww shucks" after he got praised this week. Melinda Dolittle did enough of that stuff last year. Enjoy the ride, David. You've got all the girls you could ever want feeding out of the palm of your hand.

Chikeze was much better this week and adding his name into the song was a very nice comeback to Simon calling him Jacuzzi last week. Now he's just got to stop arguing with Simon to make his life easier.

David Johns has the look going for him, but his singing is horrid.

Danny Noriega sang really well last night. He still creeps me out.

Robbie Carico. Nice rocker try, buddy, but Randy and Paula were right. You don't try to rock..... you just rock. He doesn't.

David Cook: He, on the other hand, has that Seven Mary Three mid-90's second-wave grunge voice and his attitude and guitar moves on stage seemed pretty natural. He's not a rock god by any stretch, but he certainly rocks in a way that Robbie just can't inhabit.

David Hernandez: Pretty good performance.

Dread boy: Just go back to busking for coins on the subway platform, please.

Luke: Blah.... meh.... Zzzzzzzzz.......

Jason Yeager: Can't even recall your performance, dude. It must have been stunning.

Guys, guys...it's MICHAEL Johns. Not David. :P

I would write up a whole thing of what I thought, but I'm too lazy. Plus I have an infant staring at me like, what the HELL Mom.

I adored David Archuleta. I have from the beginning. He's so damn cute, I could eat him up. I also really enjoyed Chikeze and David Hernandez.

I really like dread-lock guy (Jason Castro?), but he reminds me of a coffee house artist more than an American Idol winner.

Danny Noriega will be having a sex change before the age of 30. You heard it here first. :P

It's prob Luke and Jason Yeager gone.

That's all I got for now.

:kiss:

PS: Yes, Paula was crying. I'm impressed, it's only the first time so far this year. I promise you it won't be the last. :P

I don't know their names but the kid that 16years old has such an awesome gift .. I hope he wis it all , not to mention he's from maimi I think ..

he made Paula cry the way he sang .. uumm ,, then again Paula is always crying ..

A couple were so bad they were almost painful, the really camp guy (Danny Noriega) and the guy who ended it by jumping up and down and waving his arms like a deranged monkey (Jsason Yeager). Probably three others were poor and I felt around half of them had good performances.

Those two, Robbie, Luke or Jason to go, Danny might be saved cause he looks cute

Guys, guys...it's MICHAEL Johns. Not David. :P

I really like dread-lock guy (Jason Castro?), but he reminds me of a coffee house artist more than an American Idol winner.

Michael Johns..... Fine. But with all the davids its easy to get confused. Cook, Hernandez, Achelata.... Its easy to slip a Johns in there when you arent looking.

Yeah Catsro reminds me off the guy out on the patio of a bar on a summer evening that you love to listen to while chilling wiht a beer or two.

Yeah Catsro reminds me off the guy out on the patio of a bar on a summer evening that you love to listen to while chilling wiht a beer or two.

Nice and unthreatening until somebody's girlfriend drinks one too many, gets in a fight with the boyfriend, and then ends up waking up next to this Castro fella in a strange apartment.

<shudder>

The girls

Carly : I was impressed. Thought it was a very good performance, easily one of the best of the night.

Syesha : This girl has an amazing voice. I like simon would have liked to seen something she could let go a bit more with.

Brooke : Picked a song right in her wheelhouse a nice performance.

Ramiele : A slight stumble here, not her best but still pretty good.

Kristy : I want her to be good, cause well, she is like super hot. She was much better this week, but not top 6 quality....damn it.

Amanda : Oh...my...gahd.... What the hell was that? It was a total disaster. worse than a drunk woman at a wedding. and dont even get he starting on whatever died on her head.

If I could vote someone off it would be her.

Alaina : "For her talent miss tulsa will perform a song from Grease!" Simon nailed it again. totally a county fair pagent performance. Not bad, but ehhh. could be in trouble

Alexandrea : I think she is good, but she looks very uncomfortable up there, could be much better.

Kady : Another very cute girl , her clips are really great, but that performance was all over the place. She could be in trouble too.

Asiah : A weak performance for her. I agree with simon here too, that it was to big for her.

Going home

Amanda, and Alaina.

Archived