RE the locked thread about Lord Bob's rebellion

That's right, I was thinking that while the rebellion is not on the cards as the first season, because, well, it's GOT and that's that, if the series is a great success the rebellion would be pretty good as a cinematic release movie.

Would it have to wait until the books are done? I don't think so because the "spoiler" subjects that could reveal stuff we are yet to learn can be left obscure in the movie and it would still work.

Whaddya reckon?

I suppose this could be more appropriate in another forum, but I wanted this to be associated with the previous thread. And it is tangentially related to the TV series.

HBO never has made the leap from a series to a film, and I don't expect them to start. GRRM's not keen about writing Robert's Rebellion in novel form, either, so that would seem to me to suggest that he doesn't think it'd be a good idea for a film.

They just did a Sex and the City movie if I'm not mistaken.

If not as a movie, it could easily be a 'filler' season if he doesn't manage to finish the books in time. Personally I was an early supporter of the 'do the series as a prequel' concept, but if it ain't in the cards it aint in the cards.

[quote name='Ran' post='1604327' date='Dec 1 2008, 23.00']HBO never has made the leap from a series to a film, and I don't expect them to start. GRRM's not keen about writing Robert's Rebellion in novel form, either, so that would seem to me to suggest that he doesn't think it'd be a good idea for a film.[/quote]

That's just it. There is no need to write Bob's rebellion as a novel in order for a movie to be made. There is sufficient information in the main series as a starting point for a movie screenplay. GRRM merely needs to give his ascent for some keen screen writers to do it under whatever level of creative control he wants. And HBO need not be the producers.

I think GRRM thinks it would not be a good idea for a novel, which is why he is not keen to write it as a novel(la). Doesn't mean it is a bad idea as a movie. It probably does mean GRRM is not interested in investing any of his own creative energies in fleshing out the story himself.

[quote name='Halfhand' post='1604728' date='Dec 2 2008, 06.44']There is also talk of doing a Rome movie. Anything is possible. First they would need the show to be successful though.[/quote]

Aye. Success breeds [s]success[/s] movies.

HBO is definitely moving into features - Sex and the City and its sequel, maybe Rome and down the line - dont be surprised to see a Sopranos movie. Entourage may also get the theatrical after the series is done.

So Rob's Rebellion would be a good idea for a feature if the show is successful. Though I'd also be happy if they covered it in flash backs during the tv series.

If it was a RAVING success they could do Dunk and Egg as feature films. They are already fully fleshed out stories, and short enough to fit neatly into 1 1/2 hrs.

Hmmmmm, I have a friend who is trying to move up in the feature film world (he was an assistant director in Narnia I). He has said a couple of times that if he ever makes it further up the food chain he's keen to do a fantasy feature, and he'll come to me for suggestions on what to do (he's not an avid fantasy reader, but likes the film genre). Depending on how the series goes there might be some serendipitous timing with his success and that of the series. I'll have to keep the Dunk and Egg idea in the back of my mind.

Archived