Cricket V

Paxter

[quote name='Paxter' post='1673014' date='Feb 4 2009, 14.04']Personally, I don't think the Symonds decision should just be about punishment for off-field misdemeanours - he also doesn't deserve to be in the test team on merit. His form since his return to first-class and test cricket has been, quite simply, atrocious. In 15 first-class innings this summer (inc. the test innings), he has scored 255 runs @ 17. If that is good enough to get into the Australian team, than they have lowered their standards considerably.[/quote]

Symonds did better as a test player in the end than I ever expected him to achieve, but he really seems to have gone off the rails since the hwole racism row last year. At 33 with his attitude I don't expect him to be making a comeback anytime soon.

[quote]Side-note: I was surprised to see Clarke and Ponting jointly win the Allan Border medal. I assumed Johnson would win it - he was more consistent across both tests and ODIs in 2008 than Clarke and Ponting (who both had a good 2008 in tests, but were relatively poor in ODIs).[/quote]

The "good year" in tests apparently saw them both average a fairly poor 37 or so - hardly the stuff of legends.

[quote name='DemonKing' post='1673115' date='Feb 4 2009, 13.56']The "good year" in tests apparently saw them both average a fairly poor 37 or so - hardly the stuff of legends.[/quote]

Interesting numbers those. Although I'm not sure what period they apply to. According to Cricinfo's statsguru, Clarke made 1063 runs @ 50.61 during the 2008 calendar year, while Ponting made 1182 runs @ 47.28. Those are not brilliant numbers for Ponting (his career average is about 10 runs higher than 47.28), but they are solid numbers for Clarke (who averages 49 over his career). Anyway, statistics aside, I do agree with your comments - neither player blew me away in 2008.

[quote name='Paxter' post='1673303' date='Feb 4 2009, 20.44']Interesting numbers those. Although I'm not sure what period they apply to. According to Cricinfo's statsguru, Clarke made 1063 runs @ 50.61 during the 2008 calendar year, while Ponting made 1182 runs @ 47.28. Those are not brilliant numbers for Ponting (his career average is about 10 runs higher than 47.28), but they are solid numbers for Clarke (who averages 49 over his career). Anyway, statistics aside, I do agree with your comments - neither player blew me away in 2008.[/quote]

Actually I double checked and those numbers I quoted are wrong - some idiot in this article thought it would be neat to add their test *and* one day averages together:

[url="http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25005640-23212,00.html"]http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2...0-23212,00.html[/url]

As you said, their test numbers are half decent but neither of them had a stellar year in ODIs...

Can't wait for WI vs. Eng (or should I say Chanderpaul vs. Eng ;) ) to get underway tonight. As entertaining as the CB series has been, I am already yearning for the "real thing".

Anyway, it should be an interesting test series. England need to start building some momentum under Strauss' captaincy for the Ashes series, and 6 tests against the Windies has the potential to be an ideal confidence-booster. Meanwhile, the WI will be desperate to shake off their "easybeats" tag and to make amends after a fairly lacklustre (although not awful) tour of NZ. As ever, Gayle, Sarwan and Shiv will be the key players for WI. As for England, it will be Pietersen and Flintoff. It will be interesting to see how Cook and Bell go on this tour. There is a fair amount of pressure on Bell especially with Shah waiting eagerly in the wings.

[quote name='Paxter' post='1673414' date='Feb 4 2009, 22.11']Can't wait for WI vs. Eng (or should I say Chanderpaul vs. Eng ;) ) to get underway tonight. As entertaining as the CB series has been, I am already yearning for the "real thing".[/quote]

What time is that on Pax? And is it on Foxtel?

As to the Border Medal, I thought Mitchell Johnson was a more deserving contributor throughout the season, in all forms of the game.

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1673426' date='Feb 4 2009, 22.21']What time is that on Pax? And is it on Foxtel?[/quote]

Fox Sports @ 12:00 midnight. I'll probably watch for two hours (I'm on uni break still :) ) and then watch the highlights of the later sessions during the day tomorrow (highlights from 1-3 pm or 10-12 pm on Thursday).

[quote name='Paxter' post='1673430' date='Feb 4 2009, 22.27']Fox Sports @ 12:00 midnight. I'll probably watch for two hours (I'm on uni break still :) ) and then watch the highlights of the later sessions during the day tomorrow (highlights from 1-3 pm or 10-12 pm on Thursday).[/quote]

[sigh]

Work sucks. :tantrum:

[quote name='Paxter' post='1673414' date='Feb 4 2009, 13.11']Can't wait for WI vs. Eng (or should I say Chanderpaul vs. Eng ;) ) to get underway tonight. As entertaining as the CB series has been, I am already yearning for the "real thing".[/quote]

Judging from the text commentary, it seems a bit of an unusual Caribbean game so far - first day of a test in Jamaica and the WIndies off-spinner is bowling his 27th consecutive over. What's not unusual is the lamentable performance of the England top-order, although KP does seem to be closing on a century.

ETA - I say that, then KP hits three consecutive boundaries then gets out next ball :rolleyes:

It's a poor pitch, but probably not that poor. Depressingly I predicted Pietersen's dismissal, saying that he'd was getting carried away and would try and get to the century with a 6, probably getting out doing so. :( Christ, is Flintoff out of touch, or what? He's so badly out of touch he makes Cook, Bell and Collingwood look in form.

God, I'm depressed.

[quote name='Hereward' post='1674075' date='Feb 5 2009, 06.02']Christ, is Flintoff out of touch, or what? He's so badly out of touch he makes Cook, Bell and Collingwood look in form.[/quote]

He may be a long way from his best form, but grinding out 43 n.o. off 138 balls is still a positive contribution and may be something that he can build upon, along with the 60-odd he made in Mohali. Another start from Bell, but he may need more than just a start in the second dig to keep Shah at bay.

ETA: The Australian test squad for the tour of SA has been announced:
Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Phillip Hughes, Simon Katich, Michael Hussey, Andrew McDonald, Brad Haddin (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Doug Bollinger, Bryce McGain, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nathan Hauritz, Marcus North.

Lots of talking points here: young Hughes has the nod over Jaques and Marsh, Andrew McDonald retains his place in the squad as does Hauritz over Krejza, Bryce McGain enters the squad as the number one spinner and will likely make his debut on the tour (even though he will be 37 in a week's time!) and the WA captain Marcus North gets his first ever call up to the test squad. Overall, I think this is as good a squad as Australia can hope for. It should be an appreciably stronger team than that which faced SA in Australia; mainly because I believe that Hughes and McGain are much better inclusions than the out-of-form Hayden and Hauritz/Krejza.

[quote name='Paxter' post='1674321' date='Feb 5 2009, 08.57']Overall, I think this is as good a squad as Australia can hope for. It should be an appreciably stronger team than that which faced SA in Australia; mainly because I believe that Hughes and McGain are much better inclusions than the out-of-form Hayden and Hauritz/Krejza.[/quote]

As long as North bats at 6 and McDonald doesn't get a game for the entire tour, its a fair squad.

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1674633' date='Feb 5 2009, 16.07']As long as North bats at 6 and McDonald doesn't get a game for the entire tour, its a fair squad.[/quote]

I fervently pray that this will occur Ser Stubby, but I doubt it.

BTW: in my haste I forgot to mention one other major talking point about that squad: the absence of both Lee and Clark. Although we pretty much saw those two absences coming, it is worth noting that Aus' pace-bowling attack will be severely under-strength during this series (again). Aus will be banking on strong performances from Johnson and Siddle.

Clarke and Katich fight! Seems like the Australian team is imploding from within. How much difference a couple of years and some losses makes.

England fail to make inroads into the Windies line up.

India clinically dismantles SL in the ODIs.

All is right with the world :smoking:

[quote name='cyrano' post='1675539' date='Feb 6 2009, 07.45']England fail to make inroads into the Windies line up.[/quote]

Yes, a very poor day from England - not only did their bowling lack penetration, but they also mishandled the referral system (although the system worked well for England initially as Smith was give not out when he was the victim of a fairly blatant lbw, and England had the decision reversed). Great bowling in the first innings from Gayle and Benn, as well as a decent morning on both days from the WI pacemen has given the Windies the upper hand in this match. And now two of the WI "big guns" are setting their team up for a sizeable first innings lead. The only bright lights for Eng so far have been Prior and Pietersen with the bat.

As usual, Broad has been utterly useless with ball in hand. He currently has the lamentable bowling average of around 47 in test matches and is going to have to lift his bowling contribution significantly on this tour to justify his selection. I realise that he has potential, but there is little point picking him if all he can do is make the odd contribution with the bat.

Admittedly I'm not a Ponting fan and I like Michael Clarke even less, but Simon Katich is apparently quite well-liked in the dressing room. (I'm also a Katich fan, so I'm completely biased here). Slater said he's a good friend and the NSW dressing room while Katich was captain was quite good.

I must say I was rather pleased Clarke got out for 98. Apart from my simple dislike of him, he was scoring far too slowly and didn't even look like taking risks. Not that it helped matters much, there was virtually no acceleration at all.

I think the NZ batting lineup is fragile enough that Australia will likely still win, though. But all it takes is for McCullum or Taylor to make a quickfire half-century and then most of the work is done.

[quote name='Jeor' post='1676116' date='Feb 6 2009, 16.18']I think the NZ batting lineup is fragile enough that Australia will likely still win, though. But all it takes is for McCullum or Taylor to make a quickfire half-century and then most of the work is done.[/quote]

I concur, this NZ batting line-up looks a lot less potent without Ryder and Oram. It will probably fall to Taylor again to get NZ home. If he fails, I don't see how the Black Caps can win, despite another good bowling performance.

Defeat for the fifth game in a row! It was a close run thing again, but NZ definitely deserved the win. They certainly showed much more aggression with the bat in any case, and it was the unheralded Grant Elliot who got them home in the end. McCullum and Taylor were rather subdued. Anyway, 2-0 down with three to play, NZ are hot favourites to win this series.

In a way its justice; Australia shouldn't be able to be ODI No. 1 again by beating NZ. And I think this shows at least that the problems aren't simply an aberration. Time and again the Aussies have been given chances to show that the decline is just a blip; but they failed to heed the warning of losing the opening Test to South Africa and lost the series. Even after losing the ODI series, they got beaten in the dead rubbers, and now against NZ, it's coming apart.

Archived