Coolest names in the series

Baratheon_bastard

I'm talking full names, not just house name.

Personally, while I love the Starks, it's just a boring name. And really? Ned/Eddard? On my first read-through, I had to reread the second chapter a few times before I realized that the dude with the dorky name was actually the head of the Stark family.

Every time I see the name Ser Jaremy Rykker (obviously not many times, since he is slain) I think that that is an amazingly cool name.

Oberyn Martell is a sweet name too, especially with his nickname, The Red Viper of Dorne. I always looked forward to a scene with him in it after hearing that moniker.

Most of the Summer Islander names are pretty interesting, though too foreign-sounding for them to flow when I say them, since I'm not always sure of the correct pronunciation, haha.

I did like Mance Rayder's name, though. Probably cause it was built up a whole lot beyond the Wall, but I still think it sounds cool.

You guys have any favorites?

Oh, I LOVE Martin's use of names. Some of them fit so wonderfully.

Some of my favourites are:

-Beric Dondarrion

-Greatjon Umber

-Jalabhar Xho

-Syrio Forel

These just fit so well with their respective characters.

There are so many more that I can't remember at the moment. But I love his use of names.

EDIT:
OOh. After reading the other posts I want to add more:

-Hot Pie!! How could I forget?

-Arya and Sansa Stark. I love their names. If I ever have children, I want to name them that.

-Shireen Baratheon. "Shireen" means sweet in Farsi. It fits her perfectly.

-Aenys Targaryen. It makes me giggle. :mellow:

-Illyrio Mopatis.

-Khal Drogo

-Theon Greyjoy. Actually any Greyjoy name. I love saying Greyjoy.

-Edric Storm

-Strong Belwas

Okay that's all I can think of for now.

Names I instantly fell in love with:

Beric Dondarrion

The Hound - might be my fave

The Mountain that Rides - ok, THIS one might be my fave!

The Red Viper of Dorne / Oberyn Martell - both the nickname and real names are great

Tyrion Lannister

Daenarys Targaryen - I swear if we decide to have another child and it ends up being a girl, she is to be call Daenarys.

A couple random ones that I like are: Baelor Blacktyde, Victarion Greyjoy, Daemon Blackfyre, Jaime Lannister, Baelor Breakspear, Monterys Velaryon, Mace Tyrell, Arthur Dayne, Lyn Corbray, Ryam Redwyne, Cortnay Penrose, Bloodraven, Bittersteel...so many more. They all just roll off the tongue and sound amazing.

[b]Names:[/b]

Jon Snow

Bran Stark -- I have always loved the name Bran -- I first encountered it in Susan Cooper's [i]The Dark Is Rising[/i] series of books. Something is mysterious and solemn about it

Robert, Stannis, and Renly Baratheon -- these names fit their characters perfectly, and the name "Baretheon" especially fits Robert.

Hot Pie!

Tyrion Lannister -- Tyrion. It shouldn't work...but it does!

Aerys & Raegar Targaryen -- the names sound like Final Fantasy characters...and they [i]look[/i] like Final Fantasy characters to boot! *giggle*

all of the Mormonts -- Mormont is a great name, and their first names are all cool too. One of my favorite lesser houses.

Shagga son of Dolf

Lynesse Hightower -- pretty but very shallow

Petyr Baelish -- Baelish...Baal-ish? Heh heh.

Robb Stark -- something about this name is just....hmmm...manly. Maybe the fact that it's just two syllables. Very to-the-point

Meera Reed

Mathis Rowan -- this is a guy who I'd like to be friends with. I can tell just by his name, and it fits his character, too.

Edmure & Brynden Tully -- I like the last name Tully, and these are two cool first names to go with it

[b]Nicknames:[/b]

The Young Wolf

The Mountain That Rides

The Hound

The Red Viper

The Imp

The Kingslayer

Stormborn (her coolest nickname, imo)

Little Bird

The Blackfish

Me, too, with Oberyn Martell, Beric Dondarrion, Danaerys and Rhaegar Targaryen, Victarion Greyjoy, Tyrion. There's something about that ...ion... sound that I really like. Oberyn, Dondarrion, Targaryen, Victarion, Tyrion. I also really like Sandor. The man and the name. And Sansa Stark--[i]just[/i] the name. Illyrio Mopatis (the name) is great, too.

A name that creeps me out is Viserys. It sounds like 'miseries' and sounds oily/slimy at the same time. Viscous, like oily jellied slime. Appropriate!

ETA: typo

Yeah, I also think that Viserys doesn't sound as cool as the rest of the Targaryen names.
Love Rhaegar and Rhaella though.
Not Targaryens:
Arya and Sansa, because they somehow fit, although they're so different
Willas and Margaery Tyrell
Ashara Dayne

Whole names... let's see... Maekar Targaryen, Gregor Clegane, Eldon Estermont, Cregan Stark, Brandon Stark, Jeor Mormont, Gerion Lannister, maester Colemon, Alfyn Crowkiller, Janos Slynt, Nestor Royce, Preston Greenfield, Dagon Greyjoy.

Generally cool family names are Mormont, Mallister, Karstark, Estermont, Dayne, Morrigen, Qorgyle, Marbrand, Farwynd, Toyne.

For nicknames, I gotta say the Mountain (this short version is better than the whole "the Mountain That Rides"), the Imp, Bloodraven, the Kingslayer, the Greatjon, Whoresbane, the Laughing Storm, the Smiling Knight, Shitmouth, the Hound.

Sandor Clegane sounds pretty cool, so does Gregor. Also like both their nicknames.

I like Jacelyn Bywater, Ironhand, the Greatjon, Rickard Karstark, Mace Tyrell, Renly Baratheon. Cersei is kinda nice too.

Those are the ones I can think of right now.

[quote name='jondegi' post='1720410' date='Mar 16 2009, 01.10']Oh, I LOVE Martin's use of names. Some of them fit so wonderfully.

Some of my favourites are:

-Beric Dondarrion

-Greatjon Umber

-Jalabhar Xho[/quote]

[quote name='tsantsa' post='1720568' date='Mar 16 2009, 05.57']The Hound

The Mountain that Rides

The Red Viper of Dorne / Oberyn Martell

Daenarys Targaryen[/quote]

Snap with all of these... especially Daenarys Targaryen. In fact i think i like all of the Targ names "Targaryen" has to be one of the coolest names i've heard, and i also like the "ae" rather than the (possibly) more common "ea" i think it just looks better...

Baelor Breakspear is one of the coolest things ever....and Baelor Blacktyde comes pretty close too...to bad they both died before their time eh? Martin builds such great characters in such few words, and then kills them off so fast it makes my head spin.

Good names are not easy to come up with, and I think Martin has done an admirable job.

[b]Ned Stark is an outstanding name[/b]; Stark is an excellent house name given their character and geography, and Lord Eddard IS boring, or straight-laced, or what have you. Fits the character perfectly.

[b]Sweetrobin[/b], Beric Dondarrion, and Jeor and Jorah Mormont. Obviously Bran Stark was Brandon'd with a purpose. I like Craster for a crass crofter.

Archived