Most Heartbreaking Moment

BloodRider

3. Dany's visions in the Houses of the Undying, when I'm reading it in retrospect. Especially when Rhaegar sings a song to Elia and the baby, and we then remember what happened to them. And it just sends chills down my spine when I read the part where Dany sees corpses at a wedding feast, and Grey Wind's severed head keeps staring at Dany in mute pleading.

How about Oberyn's memories of Elia? Before he appears on the scene, she's spent two and a half books being just this name attached to a nasty death. Then Oberyn starts telling his stories about their grand marriage tour and within a few sentences you can just see her: this skinny, dark-haired teenage girl trying not to giggle in front of her suitors after her brother made dirty jokes about them behind their backs, and cooing at baby Tyrion. And she died horribly. :(

These scenes really brought tears to my eyes:

1. Robert lying there dying with Ned at his side.

2. Jon finding Ygritte with the arrow in her breast.

3. The Hound in Sansas Chamber.

4. Mormont leaving Dany.

How about Oberyn's memories of Elia? Before he appears on the scene, she's spent two and a half books being just this name attached to a nasty death. Then Oberyn starts telling his stories about their grand marriage tour and within a few sentences you can just see her: this skinny, dark-haired teenage girl trying not to giggle in front of her suitors after her brother made dirty jokes about them behind their backs, and cooing at baby Tyrion. And she died horribly. :(

Didn't the Martells had fair hair, not dark? Should be me misreading.

ASoIaF is full of emotional scenes. I'd say Cat's vision in the abandoned sept.

The Ghost of High Heart gets to me... I think it's because of her Jenny. That's my name, and every time anyone mentions the name and alludes to death at the same time my mum can't prevent herself being in floods of tears (I accidentally walked in on her during the end of Forrest Gump once, that was bad...). So i think the Ghost upsets me because it makes me think of my mum crying for me. Which probably makes me pretty self-absorbed.

:leaving:

I can think of quite a few.

One is Tyrion's mini speech in the courtroom:

"Have you nothing to say in your defense?"

"Nothing but this. I did not do it. Yet now I wish I had." He turned to face the hall, that sea of pale faces. "I wish I had enough poison for all of you. You make me sorry I am not the monster you would have me be, yet there it is. I am innocent, but I will get no justice here. You leave me no choice but to appeal to the gods."

As well as when Tyrion finally confronts Tywin. Particularly the three lines

"One simple question, you owe me that much."

"I owe you nothing."

"You've given me less than that, all my life, but you'll give me this.

These two quotations, particularly the second one, convey better than anything else the climax of Tyrion's journey throughout the first three books. From AGOT, where he has accepted what he is, and is just living his life and trying to enjoy it, to ACOK, where despite his efforts to help the common people more than anyone else, he still suffers hared and distrust from within his family and without, to the beggining of ASOS, where he lies wounded and dazed, having saved everyone's lives but still unappreciated and mocked. These two extracs portray his final anger and hatred to everyone in a world which has always hurt him.

But more heartbreaking than any others is the passage beggining with

It hurts so much, she thought. Our children Ned, all our sweet babes. Rickon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Robb...Robb...please, Ned, please, make it stop, make it stop hurting... The white tears and the red ones ran together...

This paragraph, I think, is the best written in any book, ever. The way Catelyn descends into complete and utter madness after seeing her last child (or so she thinks) slaughtered before her eyes - it sends chills down my spine every time.

• 1 year later...

Many parts of the books made me cry, most memorably:

Ned Starks death

Sansa's wedding, I epathize with both of them

Dany, sacraficing her baby only to still lose Drago

The Red Wedding and then when Arya shows up and wants to find her mom

When Catelyn thinks her sons are dead

Jon finds Ygritte dead

Agree. Dany losing her baby and her husband was a downer

The two that got me the most were Ned killing Lady and when the revealed the desecration of Grey Wind and Robbs bodies. I'm a dog person what can I say. I got two Basset Hounds next to me as I post this.

Renlys death was tough knowing that his brother had ordered it. I was cheering for him or Robb to take down the Lannisters.

And Jofferys death. :uhoh:

The Red Wedding has got to take the cake. It's cliche, as most people will probably cite it as their moment, but it's such a huge moment in the series, and Martin wrote it in a manner that made it more heartbreaking than it could have been. Being from Catelyn's point of view, especially. Like someone else said, just her clawing her face with utter grief. It's a pretty powerful scene that I am not even sure could be replicated nearly as well on television.

Joffrey was a monster, but even then his death was pretty graphic and I actually felt a bit of empathy. The way it was described. Cersei is a master bitch and we all hate her but ... watching your son die in that manner has got to be the most horrible feeling in the world.

Only thing that makes the eyes moist is neds memory at the tower of joy... The 7 vs 3 KG and the convo leading to and including ......

"And now it begins"

"No, now it ends."

That part is freaking epic, but not really sad to me. The dialogue is amazing. "Woe to the usurper if we had been" and "Or our false brother would burn in seven hells" just made my mouth drop at the badassery on display. Love the whole Tower of Joy scene.

dany exiling ser jorah was a bit difficult to swallow, though i suspect we havnt seen the last of him....

Which leads me nicely to the Old Bear's death. The manner of it and his last words were very poignant.

Hopefully, it will happen. The NW could do with men like Jorah.

It hurts so much, she thought. Our children Ned, all our sweet babes. Rickon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Robb...Robb...please, Ned, please, make it stop, make it stop hurting... The white tears and the red ones ran together...

This paragraph, I think, is the best written in any book, ever. The way Catelyn descends into complete and utter madness after seeing her last child (or so she thinks) slaughtered before her eyes - it sends chills down my spine every time.

Oh god that line. I remember reading it, every part of me wanting to scream and cry all at once. I loved Catelyn's character, and it was for lines like these that I enjoyed her chapters.

2. Arya thinking Catelyn might not want her back because she's dirty.

That moment totally got to me, too, the way Arya thinks that her mother always wanted her to be more like Sansa.

Close to the same scene, it killed me when the Hound was burned during the fight with Dondarrion, and was reduced to begging for someone to help him. I hated the way they judged him for everything horrible his brother ever did, then kicked him out into the rain like a dog. Sniff.

During the Red Wedding, when all Hell is breaking loose, Catelyn looks around at the madness and cries out to Ned, It hurts so much, all our sweet babes ... oh, so sad.

Close to the same scene, it killed me when the Hound was burned during the fight with Dondarrion, and was reduced to begging for someone to help him. I hated the way they judged him for everything horrible his brother ever did, then kicked him out into the rain like a dog. Sniff.

It's not like he has been a very nice man. I get that him burning was a sad scene but they didn't treat him like that because of his brother. They treated him like that because he was a vicious killer.

Archived