Most Heartbreaking Moment

BloodRider

Aemon's speech about Duty and Honour.

My Ravens would bring news from th south, words darker than their wings, the ruin of my House, the death of my kin, disgrace and desolation. What could I have done, old, blind, frail? I was helpless as a suckling babe, yet it still gireived me to sit forgotten as they cut down my brother's poor grandson, and his son, and even the little children'

The shine of tears in the old man's eyes

'I do know...and knowing, I will not tell you stay or go. You must make that choice yourself, and live with it the rest of your days. As I have...As I have.'

"And that boy; when did he die? When I donned the cloak? When I opened Aerys' throat? That boy had wanted to be Arthur Dayne, but somewhere along the way, he had become the Smiling Knight instead."

"You know nothing, Jon Snow..." (the last time she said it only).

"Egg, I dreamed that I was old."

When Sansa sings in her room with the Hound during the Battle of Blackwater Rush.

Thread is full of pussies.

Just kidding! :P <3

For me, the Red Wedding itself is just so shocking and horrifying that it doesn't bring tears to my eyes. The aftermath is really sad for me though. Sansa's, Jon's, and especially Arya's next chapters choke me up.

Though I'm probably the only one, Luwin's death gets to me.

Maester Luwin's death gets to me as well. But I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy that he got to see that Bran and Rickton survived. It was one of the only few high points in the books, that along with Arya tickling the Tickler. IS THERE GOLD IN THE VILLAGE!?!?!?!?!?

What, Stannis' description of Renly's peach dosnt touch anybody's heart?

My girlfriend isnt much of a reader, but I wanted her to read these stories so bad, that I read a chapter or 2 to her every now and again, and she cried when I read about Jeor Mormont being killed by his own men, and again during the Red Wedding. But not me. Really. :leaving:

Also: during rereads I too thought Jory Cassells death to be highly sad. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a lump in my throat during the Cressen chapter.

Maester Luwin's death gets to me as well. But I was SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy that he got to see that Bran and Rickton survived. It was one of the only few high points in the books, that along with Arya tickling the Tickler. IS THERE GOLD IN THE VILLAGE!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah, that's what makes it deliciously sad and happy simultaneously -- Bran gets the chance to speak with Luwin before he dies. Luwin was a dutiful maester, but he seemed to have a real affection for Bran (in a wholesome, grandfather-grandson sort of way) that he may or may not have had for Ned Stark's other children. So unlike Ned's death, which (for Bran) is distant and wayyy off-screen, Luwin dies (more or less) before (or, perhaps, behind) his eyes.

For me, it's the Red Wedding, but I didn't start to cry until I read this line:

It hurts so much, she thought. Our children, Ned, all our sweet babes. Rickon, Bran, Arya, Sansa, Robb...Robb..please, Ned, please, make it stop, make it stop hurting...

that might be the most tragic line I've ever read in a book. GRRM is childless, right? I can't believe sometimes how insightful he is when it comes to things he shouldn't know much about.

For me, it's the Red Wedding, but I didn't start to cry until I read this line:

that might be the most tragic line I've ever read in a book. GRRM is childless, right? I can't believe sometimes how insightful he is when it comes to things he shouldn't know much about.

Oh god ... just reading that on here without any of the associated trauma chokes me up.

For me, it's the Red Wedding, but I didn't start to cry until I read this line:...

that might be the most tragic line I've ever read in a book...

I am in full agreement.

It also impressed me deep her insane and 'idle' panic about the trifle that her beloved by Ned hair might have been cut. (not sure if it was not mentioned anyway...)

Robb's death

The first time I read it, I threw the book away. After Ned's death I saw him as the hero of the series, and I strongly identified with him. I was younger and had a different outlook. It doesn't bother me now.

The Red Wedding. I didn't shed tears, but it was the one and only time I've ever had to put down a book a few minutes to gather my thoughts. I then re-read the chapter in the futile hope that the horrible events would change. They didn't, of course.

Even now, I'm still amazed at how well GRRM built up the events leading to that scene. Dany's vision of a slaughter at a feast in the House of the Undying, the rainy, gloomy march of Robb's army from Riverrun to the Twins, Grey Wind's attack on the Freys, the relative lack of food while wine flowed aplenty... I knew from the momenty Grey Wind attacked that something bad was going to happen, but I had no idea how bad it would be until it unfolded. Like Catelyn, I went cold all over when she felt the mail under Edwyn Frey's clothes. And we all know what happened next.

Adding to the tragedy of Robb and Catelyn's deaths are Arya's chapters. Finally, finally, after practically a book and a half of struggling to do so, she is close to being reunited with her family... only for what should have been a happy event to turn to horror right before her eyes, and then herself possibly killed like her brother and mother at the end of her second chapter at the Twins ("His axe took her in the back of her head," or something like that).

Ned's death didn't sadden me as much as it shocked me. Right up until Joffrey's "Off with his head!" moment, I believed ASOIAF was a grimmer but still typical fantasy series, and that Ned, being the apparent main character (due to the number of his POV chapters), would be exiled to the Night's Watch, only to eventually return and cast down the treacherous Lannisters with the help of his children and their animal companions.

• 7 months later...

The Imp’s squire. Brienne had not even known he had one. Tyrion Lannister was no knight. He might have been expected to have a serving boy or two to attend him, she supposed, a page and a cupbearer, someone to help dress him. But a squire? “Why are you stalking after me?” she said. “What do you want?”

“To find her.” The boy got to his feet. “His lady. You’re looking for her. Brella told me. She’s his wife. Not Brella, Lady Sansa. So I thought, if you found her . . .” His face twisted in sudden anguish. “I’m his squire,” he repeated, as the rain ran down his face, “but he left me.” :(

The Imp’s squire. Brienne had not even known he had one. Tyrion Lannister was no knight. He might have been expected to have a serving boy or two to attend him, she supposed, a page and a cupbearer, someone to help dress him. But a squire? “Why are you stalking after me?” she said. “What do you want?”

“To find her.” The boy got to his feet. “His lady. You’re looking for her. Brella told me. She’s his wife. Not Brella, Lady Sansa. So I thought, if you found her . . .” His face twisted in sudden anguish. “I’m his squire,” he repeated, as the rain ran down his face, “but he left me.” :(

This. I came to really like Podrick Payne after awhile and this was a heart breaker. Also the scene between Jaime and Tyrion, my heart wrenched first for Tyrion, and then for Jaime.

And of course, when Jon finds Ygritte dead broke my heart. But as an 18 year old male, I do believe I'm a sucker for any coming of age tragedy. I do believe if I was older Catelyn's woe's would have struck me much harder, but mainly the only feeling I felt was frustration towards her and towards the book due to the fact Bran & Rickon weren't dead.

Archived