Most Heartbreaking Moment

BloodRider

Arys Oakharts death...I found him so endearing and presh :crying:

He was the member of the kingsgaurd who was most sympathetic to Sansa when Joffrey was being a shit. And he tried so hard to protect the princess Myrcella...if not a little foolishly. And he so trustingly was seduced by Arianne...so now I don't like her.

His hit me fairly hard for some reason, I teared up! He was one of the good (well, better) guys.

Besides that, I pretty much the big ones...Red Wedding horrified me more than anything. i was just shocked. Also, when they talk about what they did to Robbs body...shudders.

Dany's reflection that her three dragons will be her only children. And later, when the freed slaves start chanting 'mother' at her. I found that scene especially moving.

Sansa touching the Hound's face and noticing there are tears there.

Catlyn telling Brienne that she' has no sons but Rob.' The first time I genuinely felt a lump in my throat for a character I didn't like.

Jaime's musing on Cersei. I thought I was the warrior and she was the maid, but this whole time she has been the stranger hiding her face from me. Even though the pairing makes me uncomfortable, it just seemed especially grim and sad.

Tyrion finally hearing the truth about Tysha. That was pretty devastating.

It's not like he has been a very nice man. I get that him burning was a sad scene but they didn't treat him like that because of his brother. They treated him like that because he was a vicious killer.

They started chanting the names of all of the smallfolk they knew that had been killed -- he had nothing to do with any of that, that was all The Mountain and his men burning, raping, and killing their way through the land at the command of Tywin Lannister. They associate him with the Lannisters and condemn him by association. Only Arya's mention of Mycah managed to lay any specific murder accusation at his door, and that's the accusation they put him on "trial" for.

Anyway, that's off-thread, but the moment where he begs for help really struck me as very sad.

You guys make this thread hard to read. Too much good stuff.

1) Cressen dying- I hand't yet figured out that Prologue characters die and I really liked him

2) Tyrion draping his cloak over Sansa at the wedding

3) Robb executing Karstark

Ned head being cut off with Ice... First time I threw away the book.

"There will be pain."

"Ill scream."

"A great deal of pain."

"Ill scream very loudly."

Jus to realize what happened, getting a "grip" of his whole ordeal, taking it up like the real badass knight he is.

They melted Ice...book went in the trash.

"his axe took her in the back of the head"...trust me, book went out a window.

Afterwards the tone had already been set for the rest of the series...

well... there are quite a lot of scenes that are emotionally full.

the one that really got me and I couldn't read the book for hours later is in ADWD... so I'll just refer to other scenes.

Jon killing his sworn brother in his order.

Jon and Ygritte in the cave...

Jon saying to Ygritte that they should have stayed in the cave in the end and all of the scene of her death.

Arya turning blind..

Samwell finding out about Ginni's baby...

and of course Maester Aemon when revealing himself to Jon and in his final moments

"His axe took her in the back of the head".

I couldn't read for more than an hour after that. Never have I been as affected by a character death (or what I thought was at the time) as I was by that.

I didn't believe it. Not for a second. I think by that point in the book we'd already had a couple of GOTCHA cliffhangers, and I was convinced that Arya had already achieved a Tyrion-level immortality status. (Though I did flip ahead to reassure myself!)

No, the saddest part for me was when she woke up again after that, and started coming to the realization of the death of her mother. That, and Sansa crying behind closed doors with Tyrion outside, were the real tear-jerkers for me. The ripple effect from the RW was a lot more painful to read than the RW itself.

Ygritte's death really affected me. She was probably my favorite character in that book. Even though I knew she probably had to die, it was still really sad... they should've stayed in the cave... :crying:

When Ned died I was completely taken aback. I expected him to survive a lot longer than he did. Also, Aemon saying "Egg, I dreamed I was old..." just about broke my heart.

I didn't believe it. Not for a second. I think by that point in the book we'd already had a couple of GOTCHA cliffhangers, and I was convinced that Arya had already achieved a Tyrion-level immortality status. (Though I did flip ahead to reassure myself!)

No, the saddest part for me was when she woke up again after that, and started coming to the realization of the death of her mother. That, and Sansa crying behind closed doors with Tyrion outside, were the real tear-jerkers for me. The ripple effect from the RW was a lot more painful to read than the RW itself.

Every scene with Arya and Sansa about Red Wedding.

But nothing comes close to those in ADwD. God I wish the ban was lifted already.

Archived