How did Drogo melt gold?

Thefalconemperor

He does put the pot back on the fire, but yeah, those are some mighty hot cooking fires the Dothraki use. Or maybe his "gold" medallions really were some sort of cheap alloy--after all, he doesn't seem like a particularly savvy businessman.

Lol, I have all sorts of funny mental images entailing Drogo being a schulb businessman.

I don't recall exactly how long it took from the moment Drogo tossed his belt into the pot to the moment he dumped the pot on Viserys's head, but it seemed pretty quick to me. Even if the pot was extraordinarily hot, the metal still would have needed time to heat and become semi-liquid. It just seemed to quick to me. Still I am willing to buy it, just because it makes and awesome, gruesome death!

I believe the passage of time was indicated with the fact that the metal had started to melt. It works better than ticking down the minutes.

Actually, if you think about it and factor that gold would need some time to melt, the scene becomes all the more intense and terrifying. In the show, it was extremely fast - Viserys hardly had time to even beg for mercy. Imagine how much more horrible it will be to slowly wait for the gold to melt properly.

I'm not a chemist, but I am a potter, and I've melted gold in my kiln--IIRC, the melting point is around 1900 degrees. I guess my point being that if they have pottery in GRRM's world (and obviously, they do), then they can have melted gold, since the firing temp is nearly exactly the same.

Due to your name and avatar my mind went to the Harry variety when you said Potter and i spent the rest the last few minutes wondering how that gave you knowledge of melting stuff until i re-read your post. Now i feel slightly ashamed at my stupidity

Wow, people really don't read threads anymore. THREE people have made it clear that it's completely normal for fires to reach the temperature at which gold melts, and people are still saying 'it's just a book' and 'OMG IT'S FANTASY'.

RTFT, guys.

I remember melting silver in an ordinary wood fire when I was younger, and it only takes about 100 degrees more to melt gold.

Please clarify. Are you saying that you removed a stew pot from an ordinary cooking fire, dumped out the stew, placed silver in the pot, placed the stewpot back on the fire, waited until you obtained molten silver, then removed the stewpot from the fire with your horsehair mittens? Or anything remotely like that?

Please say exactly what you did to melt silver. Otherwise you are discussing apples and oranges.

The scene in the book seemed to take a lot longer than it did on the HBO show, so I am more inclined to believe (with a tiny bit of suspended disbelief) that Drogo was able to melt a pot of gold and dump it on Vis.

In the show, the amount of time wouldn't have been able to melt wax I doubt.

The scene in the book seemed to take a lot longer than it did on the HBO show, so I am more inclined to believe (with a tiny bit of suspended disbelief) that Drogo was able to melt a pot of gold and dump it on Vis.

In the show, the amount of time wouldn't have been able to melt wax I doubt.

I dunno, wax melts pretty quickly. Probably exactly that quickly (I think they used wax)

But really, there were three fire pits cooking for 5000 men; those would be very large fires, and more than capable of reaching a could thousand degrees.

Wow, people really don't read threads anymore. THREE people have made it clear that it's completely normal for fires to reach the temperature at which gold melts, and people are still saying 'it's just a book' and 'OMG IT'S FANTASY'.

RTFT, guys.

Perhaps they DID read the thread WITH UNDERSTANDING. You cannot melt gold in an iron pot placed over an ordinary cooking fire.

GRRM made a mistake. Of, if you prefer, it's a magic pot.

I saw nothing in this thread saying otherwise. One guy confirmed that campfires are not hot enough (but bonfires might be). Another claimed he had melted SILVER in a "wood fire", but did not discuss the size of the fire or the method used to expose the silver to the fire.

The guy who suggested that a candle is almost hot enough to melt gold is obviously not discussing practical cooking temperatures. He is probably reporting direct measurements of the hottest part of a candle flame.

Perhaps they DID read the thread WITH UNDERSTANDING. You cannot melt gold in an iron pot placed over an ordinary cooking fire.

What you're doing now is disagreeing with the presented theory. Taking into account what others are posting. That's good. But stuff like "walls of ice don't exist" or "dragons are imaginary too" have nothing to do with the argument. Clearly GRRM wasn't suggesting a 'magical' fire. There seems to be a misconception that in fantasy, if something supernatural goes, ANYTHING goes. This is not the issue here. Either gold can melt at that temperature, or GRRM made a mistake. The whole 'it's fantasy, deal with it' is kinda trite.

One guy confirmed that campfires are not hot enough (but bonfires might be).

As that one guy.... A campfire for a few people, I would imagine the cooking setup for thousands of people would be closer to a bonfire. No problems for me with the melting of gold.

Archived