I'm new

sherylh96

So I got hooked on both the book and TV series after a co-worker turned me on to them. I watched all of the episodes of Game of Thrones last week/weekend and started on the first book while I was in the middle of the series. I do have to say that it is a lot easier reading through the book after seeing the series because it helps me be able to picture the characters as I read. I'm a little over halfway through the book and I hate putting it down! I have also have the TV series episodes on my iPhone and I've been re-listening to the series while I am at work. It's just so good.

I have the first two books and plan to go pick up the next two as well as Dance with Dragons since it came out today. GRRM will be at a Barnes & Noble near where I live on Saturday, so I plan to head over there and get some of my books signed. Looking forward to it, as well as finishing the rest of the books!

I'm new around here as well! I started reading AGOT on June 21st and just started AFFC this morning--already purchased ADWD for my Kindle (how I have read all the books) and cannot wait to be able to dig into it!! I'm looking forward to being able to wander the forums freely without having to worry about spoilers. :)

:cheers: Welcome to the board, Sheryl96.

Well, you certainly do have a fully-immersed aSoIaF plan in motion! It was interesting to me that you said you listen to the episodes while at work. I'm setting up something similar for Dance. (I've read and re-read all the previous books in book form). I work at home--I design and create handcarved fireplaces and, while I love it, it entails lonnnng hours day after day, week after month, sitting hunched over at a drafting table carving designs into clay. SO! I finally broke down, got myself an iPod and registered at audible.com. I'm going to listen to Dance With Dragons while I work (30+ hours of listening magic, yay!), instead of trying to fit in book-reading time in the evenings when I'm usually mentally exhausted.

So many ways for so many of us to spend long stretches of quality time in GRRM's world. As Martha Stewart would say: 'It's a good thing.'

Welcome.

Thanks for the welcomes! Yeah, I have the HBO series in iTunes, so it's easy to put it on my iPhone and listen at work. I'm a software engineer, so I mostly just code all day anyway. Sometimes I prefer listening to TV shows/movies rather than music, mostly stuff I've already watched, so the series is perfect for that.

I'm hoping to finish AGoT before I go to the book signing on Saturday. I'm on page 515 right now.

Hi all, I just purchased book one this morning after becoming obsessed with the series. A few of my friends recommended GRRM's stuff to me in the past, but I never got round to it. The series really has blown me away, so I decided to start reading the unadulterated story (I'm not a reader of fiction at all). Anyway, you'll be seeing a lot of me from now on, so I'll see you on the boards! :D

Hi all, I just purchased book one this morning after becoming obsessed with the series. A few of my friends recommended GRRM's stuff to me in the past, but I never got round to it. The series really has blown me away, so I decided to start reading the unadulterated story (I'm not a reader of fiction at all). Anyway, you'll be seeing a lot of me from now on, so I'll see you on the boards! :D

Welcome to the boards! Like you, I am new to the series. No one recommended it to me (and if I learn of anyone I know reading it and not telling me, they will be whipped. I now recommend it vigorously), I just wanted to read it when I heard about the TV series. I started reading it and became enthralled by it. I am not a reader of the fantasy genre, but this one warranted an exception. GRRM turns those tired fantasy tropes on their ears. I am over half-way through with A Feast for Crows, but I enjoy coming back to the boards for the earlier books to see what people think.

Once again, welcome.

Thanks for the welcomes! Yeah, I have the HBO series in iTunes, so it's easy to put it on my iPhone and listen at work. I'm a software engineer, so I mostly just code all day anyway. Sometimes I prefer listening to TV shows/movies rather than music, mostly stuff I've already watched, so the series is perfect for that.

I'm hoping to finish AGoT before I go to the book signing on Saturday. I'm on page 515 right now.

I recommend the audio books (though they might be a bit pricey), all but A Feast For Crows are read by Roy Dotrice, who gives every character their own voice, and the only complaint (minor as it may be) is that all captains/sea-faring people sound like they might be in a Pirates of the Caribbean film (not that it's necessarily a bad thing either).

You know, I have heard that the audio books are read really well. I finally just finished AGoT. They set everything up really well for the next book. I do have a question, though, for anyone that has seen the show... where did the scene with the Knight of Flowers and Renly come from? Is that actually IN the book and I just missed it? You find out some stuff in the show that doesn't seem to be something that was revealed in the first book (if you've seen the show, you will know what I'm talking about here). Is that scene actually in AGoT and I just missed it?

You know, I have heard that the audio books are read really well. I finally just finished AGoT. They set everything up really well for the next book. I do have a question, though, for anyone that has seen the show... where did the scene with the Knight of Flowers and Renly come from? Is that actually IN the book and I just missed it? You find out some stuff in the show that doesn't seem to be something that was revealed in the first book (if you've seen the show, you will know what I'm talking about here). Is that scene actually in AGoT and I just missed it?

The scene you are referring to does not occur in the books. The hints of Loras + Renly are very subtle in the books. HBO added that scene, so you could get a perspective of how Renly might have decided to press his claim for the throne.

• 1 month later...

i'm new too, heard a lot about this series and a friend of mine started reading the book and told me i have to read it, so ordered the 1st book, just finished it yesterday. now starting the 2nd book and the tv series

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome. :)

Also pretty greenhornin' it with the saga. Currently reading A Storm Of Swords. Absolutely loving it. I've read fantasy genre novels before. Some I liked, others I was like :shrug: about, but setting genres aside, ASoIaF is honestly the best read I've ever had. Nothing have I ever been more into book wise, and trust me, I'm the kind of person that easily becomes a super-fan of things.

Here's hoping to see you all around the forums

Rody, did you used to be on eRepublik? I vaguely remember someone by that name who had a similar icon from when people from this board took over Thailand. If this doesn't sound familiar, then please ignore. ;)

Also pretty greenhornin' it with the saga. Currently reading A Storm Of Swords. Absolutely loving it. I've read fantasy genre novels before. Some I liked, others I was like :shrug: about, but setting genres aside, ASoIaF is honestly the best read I've ever had. Nothing have I ever been more into book wise, and trust me, I'm the kind of person that easily becomes a super-fan of things.

Here's hoping to see you all around the forums

Welcome! I, like my quoted friend here, am also fairly new, and currently reading A Storm of Swords, a little over halfway through, and I love it. I've definitely been recommending it to a ton of people I know. Hope you continue to enjoy the series!!!

Like you, I started reading the book after becoming obsessed with the TV-series. Weird how you can become so obsessed with something... I literally ran to the library after seeing the last episode. Have a good read!

Posted in another thread

The series was engaging enough for me as a non-fantasy reader (and a slow one at that) to:

set the dvr at episode 3, buy GoT, cram 780 pages (only 180 to go), order the next three books to get ahead of future seasons, THEN go back to the show. The season wraps up it's Australian run this weekend, hopefully I should be done on the book by then.

I'm only a neophyte, but forward to exploring it in greater depth with everyone.

Archived