[ADWD SPOILERS] Prologue p. 3-15 US HC

Brewmaster

What's kind of interesting is that now out of 5 book 3 prologues have been about White Walker Attacks. Every other prologue in fact.

It was great to be reading another book. I can't judge too much based off the prologue, but it was a hell of a way to start. We learned a bit more about wargs and warging. We now know what it looks like to try to warg into a person of normal intelligence. We know that Jon doesn't just have warg abilities, but is actually has powerfull, unrealized, warg talent (according to Sixskins).

So it seems that some of our questions are answered right off the bat

It seems as if Others are created by dying wargs attempting to jump into the bodies of other people.

Perhaps I'm missing your meaning, but how is this proven? We saw a bloody mess, but hardly an undead monstrosity.

Also, I don't believe we need spoilers in this sub forum, providing we mention nothing beyond the chapter in question.

Indeed. If it's in the chapter that the thread is for, we do not need to use spoiler tags. I'd prefer it if we don't post spoilers from later on in the book at all (even in spoiler text) because someone inevitably fucks up, but I'm not going to delete comments that put spoilers in a spoiler tag. Those who don't do use spoiler tags for spoiler material later in the book, though? Yeah, I am not gonna be merciful. :cheers:

Darn when i left the forum, and came back I couldn't find this thread. It is in the DwD forum right? I am only here now thanks to a back button... lol. Regardless, I can't find the thread otherwise. I feel smart. :-)

As to the OP's thoughts -- I didn't get that either. Not at all. I wonder if I read too quickly in a effort to get to parts of the book new to me? Likely.

I will definitely go back and re-read.

Darn when i left the forum, and came back I couldn't find this thread. It is in the DwD forum right? I am only here now thanks to a back button... lol. Regardless, I can't find the thread otherwise. I feel smart. :-)

ipsuel, yes, its in the DwD section. Click on the section, then look right at the top for 'Still Reading Sub-Forum.'

ipsuel, yes, its in the DwD section. Click on the section, then look right at the top for 'Still Reading Sub-Forum.'

Bless you :-)

Gheez, Im dying to talk about what I've read so far... but between losing the forum (lol) and my Kindle for pc not giving me page numbers (grrr!) I just gotta wait til someone else posts so I know what we're talking about (unless I get a few minutes to go back and double-check chapters--not worth risking it cuz I do *not* wanna spoil anything for anyone :-)).

The Second Life - when a warg dies, they revert to the mentality of the thing they were warging in when their body died. Am I right about that? Warging is really complex.

I love the detail about wargs becoming more like their totem animals - like Rickon getting shaggier.

Did anyone catch that Varamyr engaged in bestiality as a female wolf? :eek: Talk about starting with a bang.

I didn't get tat either...I was reading a bit too quickly, but it seemed like he attempted to shift into Thistle and wound up dying when the Others caught them both.

I may have misread, but I believe that at the very end of the chapter, Thistle was animated with no eyes, but bright blue light where her eyes had been. This took place after Varamyr tried to Warg into her as he was dying. The description of her sounded very much like the Others to me. Perhaps I am reading into it more then it was intended,

do you get chapter headings? if so, just count. Tyrion 1, Dany 1, etc.

Yes, chapter heads are there, but it's killing me w/ no page numbers lol. But yes, that's exactly what I did. Just in case my count was wrong (after all, I'm the girl who lost a whole forum 15 minutes ago lol), I kept my post somewhat cryptic -- those who read the chapter will know what I mean, but those who haven't won't be spoiled.

I may have misread, but I believe that at the very end of the chapter, Thistle was animated with no eyes, but bright blue light where her eyes had been. This took place after Varamyr tried to Warg into her as he was dying. The description of her sounded very much like the Others to me. Perhaps I am reading into it more then it was intended,

Varamyr tried to warg into Thistle by the time a bunch of Others were approaching them. She says "Get up, we have to go. There are hundreds of them. they're coming."

So what I understood was that Varamyr didn't succeed in warging into her, then fell back to One Eye. When he sees her again, she's become a wight.

Varamyr tried to warg into Thistle by the time a bunch of Others were approaching them. She says "Get up, we have to go. There are hundreds of them. they're coming."

So what I understood was that Varamyr didn't succeed in warging into her, then fell back to One Eye. When he sees her again, she's become a wight.

That makes much more sense to me...

My reading was much closer to luizfar's

Anyways, I don't know where else to post this, but it would be very helpful if someone could post a sticky in this forum with the full list of all chapters and enumerate them (Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Jon 2, Dany 2, etc). Props if it includes page count &/or Kindle %. Would make finding the thread I want to discuss much easier.

My understanding is that he tried to warg into her and she resisted. She couldn't throw him out but she clawed at herself and bit at her tongue and due to the pain and realizing that getting into the wolf would more likely lead him to survive in some form (tongue bleeding can kill you easy) he retreated back into the wolf.

Archived