[ADWD SPOILERS] The Sacrifice

Xray the Enforcer

Didn't think we would be seeing Theon again this book so the ending of this chapter was an awesome surprise. Can't help but wonder what will happen now though since the northmens main reasons for helping Stannis was to rescue "neds little girl" which I assume will be promptly shown to be a fake. The Queensmen are shown to be batshit crazy as per usual.

The Braavosi banker knows that Arnolf is a traitor, so I suppose the next thing they'll do is burn hi. And if the remaining Karstark lords are willing to acceot Alyn and remain with Stannis, perhaps a surprise attack to Winterfell might caught Roose unawares.

Regarding Theon, they'll try to crown him king of the iron islands, since he wasn't present at the kingsmmot. If Euron is away, Asha and Aeron together might be able to do it.

The Braavosi banker knows that Arnolf is a traitor, so I suppose the next thing they'll do is burn hi. And if the remaining Karstark lords are willing to acceot Alyn and remain with Stannis, perhaps a surprise attack to Winterfell might caught Roose unawares.

Regarding Theon, they'll try to crown him king of the iron islands, since he wasn't present at the kingsmmot. If Euron is away, Asha and Aeron together might be able to do it.

^This.

I'm also interested to see what deal the Braavosi banker will cut with Stannis.

I love how things are finally coming together. Great how Asha not recognising Theon mirrors him not recognising her in Clash. The tension between the different factions all snowed in together with little and less (sorry!) food is palpable. The entry of the Braavosi was completely surreal. Very nice chapter.

Things are looking much better for Stannis now than in Asha's previous chapter. He can uncover Arnolf as a traitor.

Can somebody remind me who the other traitor besides Arnolf was? (There were two lords with Bolton in the first Reek chapter.) I had thought it was Mors Umber - but then it wouldn't make sense for him to hand over Theon, would it?

Agreed. It prolly won't take much convincing to Theon to bend the knee to Stannis, either.

I also love that the horns and drum pounding that was driving Bolton and the others crazy at Winterfell was just Crowsfood Umber messing with their heads.

Because Theon is Theon again, a little persuasion from Asha and Stannis will help him be in a frame of mind to claim the Seastone Chair, and I'm pretty certain he'll bend the knee to Stannis. This won't please the Northmen, but what can they do? If he reveals everything (Jeyne Poole, Bran & Rickon) they will have much less reason to hate him and Stannis will be in a hell of a position. Does he still march to Winterfell to denounce fake Arya, or flee since there's not really a reason to storm the castle now it isn't real Arya? Too many ways it could go, but I'm thrilled with this chapter and cannot wait to see where it leads!

Also, Justin Massey- is he genuinely nice, or just playing a game to win Asha's hand and thus her lands? Don't think he came across too well before, but that was all second hand talk of him - I think I may quite like him.

The end of this chapter nailed Theon's redemption for me. I was struggling against it so much with him as Reek (then the various other names through the book). I'm team Theon now. Though, I hope Theon is not so short-lived.

Amazing how GRRM redeems characters.

I thought Whoresbane (pretended to) joined Bolton's side because the Frey's hold Greatjon.

He joined Bolton because the Freys hold the Greatjon - he has no love for the Boltons, but I don't think he has any immediate plans to turn his cloak unless he sees a good opportunity - too much risk with his kin still hostage..

He joined Bolton because the Freys hold the Greatjon - he has no love for the Boltons, but I don't think he has any immediate plans to turn his cloak unless he sees a good opportunity - too much risk with his kin still hostage..

Yeah, I should have been more cleared. As I said in my original post Whoresbane only joined because the Freys held the Greatjon. But it has been suggested would turn on the Boltons when given the proper opportunity. Below are some qoutes proving the point.

Jon IV "If Whoresbane has joined the Bastard, it can only be becuase the Lannisters hold the Greatjon captive"

Reek III "... and Whoresbane ... the Umbers may seem simple, but they are not without a certain low cunning."

The Turncloack "Old Whoresbane is only here because the Freys hold the Greatjon captive."

A Ghost in Winterfell "The castle was too crowded to withstand a long siege, and too many of the lords here were of uncertain loyalty. Fat Wyman Manderly, Whoresbane Umber, the men of House Hornwood and House Tallhart, the Lockes and Flints and Ryswells, all of them were northmen, sword to House Stark for generations beyond count."

Crowfoot Umber seems pretty awesome. Sitting outside Winterfell, completely outnumbered, slamming some drums and blowing some horns to frighten the shit out of the Boltons and the Freys.

Yeahm, I'm down with some Umber action.

The Bravoosi banker showing up with Theon and the others was hands down one of the most surprising developments for me in this book thus far.

Somehow the state of Theon now seems so much, much worse when viewed through the eyes of Asha...Here's hoping he gets some sort of decent end. Seastone chair maybe, as some suggest.

I love how things are finally coming together. Great how Asha not recognising Theon mirrors him not recognising her in Clash.

I thought that was well done, especially how it was total opposite - Asha went from ugly duckling to this attractive woman and Theon went from handsome to a total wreck that he was unrecognisable. So tragic.

This was an interesting chapter and I really did not expect Asha's boys to find her again, much less with the Braavosi. However, I did think that she would be reunited with Theon at some point. She's about the only person he might be able to regain something with

Will Stannis ever attack Winterfell? Fake Arya has come to his camp and no doubt Theon will expose that secret

The Braavosi banker seems a right-regular Goldman Sachs of his era/world! :)

Quite a character - alone, but completely unfazed, travelled hundreds of leagues through alien territory (difficult terrain and very harsh weather conditions), but seemingly without a care in the world, and then turning up in the middle of nowhere to find and locate his quarry. Not bad at all!

Seems Cersei was particularly idiotic (even by her admittedly low standards of intelligence) to spurn the Iron Bank.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Iron Bank and the Faceless Men have a joint venture arrangement for some of the more recalcitrant clients of the former.

Archived