Damp-hair or Dam-phair

I used to read it Dam(like damp but with no p)-faeer (with a short ee) because for some reason I thought it was the name given to priests of the Drowned God. Then at some point I did a double take and went "wait..it's damp .. hair.. cause he's, ya know... drowned ..." and I felt a little stupid.

• 6 months later...

lmao when I saw the title of this thread I laughed! I thought it is supposed to be a joke, a play on words. I always read it as dam-fair. But here you all are saying it is actually pronounced damp-hair!

Feast is officially my least favorite book now.

I read it the whole time as DamFair, but then it hit me like a ton of bricks, Damp Hair, how did I not see it earlier, I calle my self an idiot and laughed out loud when it first hit me.

It only makes sense that the priest of the drowned god would be called Damp Hair. Since it is his moniker and not his name. It is Aeron Damphair, like Jaime Kingslayer,

It only makes sense that the priest of the drowned god would be called Damp Hair. Since it is his moniker and not his name. It is Aeron Damphair, like Jaime Kingslayer,

Can we really be sure about this? What if it is not Jaime King Slayer but Jaime Kings Layer? What really happened the night the Lannisters took over King's Landing?

GRRM was asked that question in an interview and he confirmed it was Damp-hair. I forget which one it is but its on YouTube.

I posted it above.

Can we really be sure about this? What if it is not Jaime King Slayer but Jaime Kings Layer? What really happened the night the Lannisters took over King's Landing?

Lmao. That would rival the Shamaylan Twist~~!

Guys, come on. The faith he serves and the culture he belongs to makes it obvious he is called Damp Hair and not 'Damp Fair' (what does that mean anyway, that he's wet but pretty?).

I think most people would have pronounced it dam-fair as opposed to damp-fair, given that PH together in the English language are pronounced as F. Of course I feel a bit stupid for not realising it should be damp-hair as it is so obvious now, but if GRRM had wanted everyone to pronounce it that way from the start he really should have put a space between the 2 words, as the correct reading of the word as it is should really be damfair.

Not an english native speaker so I pronounced Damp-hair from the start, I don't know why it would be Dam-phair as some have pointed out o_Ô

@Khaltolo - Even if PH is pronounced as F, in the context Damp-hair is quite obvious isn't it?

Archived