A nagging doubt regarding the direwolves

kissdbyfire

I think Nymeria and Summer also sense the others, no? Not too sure, but I seem to recall bits where they did. Oh, no need to thank me! I'm the one who should (and am) thanking everyone. I've been thinking about this since I read ADwD, and just feeling reluctant to start a thread because deep down I knew it would be a bit silly. And I admit, I'm always trying to find anything that could point towards a live GW or Lady. lol

Well I have a personal theory about Lady which might make you feel better. You know how in the prologue of ADWD, Haggon tells Varamyr:

"Wolves and women wed for life," Haggon often said. "You take one, that's a marriage. The wolf is part of you from that day on, and you are part of him. Both of you will change."

And then at the end of the prologue Varamyr dies and goes into the body of One Eye. So what if it works the other way too? What if part of Lady entered Sansa? I know it's crackpot, but it might be possible. She still dreams of Lady.

For the life of me, I can't remember if Nymeria or Summer could do what Ghost did here. I hope someone who remembers will read this thread and maybe tell us :)

What happened when Bran was warging Summer when he helped Jon? Gods be good, can't even remember which book was that. ASoS, right?

Yes it was ASOS. He was in the castle with Jojen, Meera and Hodor, when a storm breaks. then Jojen spies people in the old inn from the window, so Bran wargs into Summer to see who they are. He sees Jon with the Wildlings and sees that the Wildlings want to force him to kill an innocent, old man. Jon refuses so Ygritte kills the guy and Summer attacks creating a diversion for Jon to escape.

Well I have a personal theory about Lady which might make you feel better. You know how in the prologue of ADWD, Haggon tells Varamyr:

"Wolves and women wed for life," Haggon often said. "You take one, that's a marriage. The wolf is part of you from that day on, and you are part of him. Both of you will change."

And then at the end of the prologue Varamyr dies and goes into the body of One Eye. So what if it works the other way too? What if part of Lady entered Sansa? I know it's crackpot, but it might be possible. She still dreams of Lady.

For the life of me, I can't remember if Nymeria or Summer could do what Ghost did here. I hope someone who remembers will read this thread and maybe tell us :)

It does make me feel better, thank you. It's a shame we didn't get to see more with Sansa and Lady. I think it would have been great to see Sansa warging and really bonding with Lady. And I think it would have helped her a lot, it would have helped her understand things better, I think. And it would also help her deal with things in general, not to mention kind of 'get in touch with her wild side'. Would it be possible for Sansa to warg with another wolf/animal? It wouldn't be the same, though...

& one thing I wonder, how are they going to mate? Isn't Nymeria the only female left? & she kills any wolf that mounts her.

I thought Summer will probably mount Sly now. Do wolves mate with their siblings? I have no idea.

Another interesting bit with the direwolves - and another I don't remember well - doesn't Summer meets One Eye, Sly and Stalker? Or is it Ghost? AFfC?

Summer meets them in ADWD and makes them his pack.Ghost also met them when Jon was traveling with the Wildlings in ASOS.

Yes it was ASOS. He was in the castle with Jojen, Meera and Hodor, when a storm breaks. then Jojen spies people in the old inn from the window, so Bran wargs into Summer to see who they are. He sees Jon with the Wildlings and sees that the Wildlings want to force him to kill an innocent, old man. Jon refuses so Ygritte kills the guy and Summer attacks creating a diversion for Jon to escape.

Exactly! Does Summer/Bran sense the other wolves then? Thinking about it now, I think he doesn't. The other bit where I thought maybe Nymeria felt the other direwolves was when she found Catelyn dead, when Arya was with the Hound.

It does make me feel better, thank you. It's a shame we didn't get to see more with Sansa and Lady. I think it would have been great to see Sansa warging and really bonding with Lady. And I think it would have helped her a lot, it would have helped her understand things better, I think. And it would also help her deal with things in general, not to mention kind of 'get in touch with her wild side'. Would it be possible for Sansa to warg with another wolf/animal? It wouldn't be the same, though...

I don't know if she will be able to warg or not. But I believe part of her personal strength and resilience is because Lady is still with her. Anyway, I like to think of it that way :).

I thought Summer will probably mount Sly now. Do wolves mate with their siblings? I have no idea.

Wolves, yes. Direwolves, no idea. lol

Summer meets them in ADWD and makes them his pack.Ghost also met them when Jon was traveling with the Wildlings in ASOS.

Yes, that's it. Thanks again.

Exactly! Does Summer/Bran sense the other wolves then? Thinking about it now, I think he doesn't. The other bit where I thought maybe Nymeria felt the other direwolves was when she found Catelyn dead, when Arya was with the Hound.

Honestly, I can't remember. I hope someone comes along and remembers. I am very curious as to how they can sense each and pinpoint each others locations. It is a very curious thing.

I don't know and Benjen said:

"There are still direwolves beyond the Wall. We hear them on our rangings."

5 books later and we still haven't seen any.

I thought Summer was a female for the longest time for some reason, lol.

Thats precisely what i fear.

Despite my nickname and avatar... i really would like to see a "relative happy ending" for the Starks!

Golden, I hope you are wrong. I don't know how I will react if we lose another Stark. It will not be a pretty sight, that's for sure. :)

I don't know and Benjen said:

5 books later and we still haven't seen any.

I thought Summer was a female for the longest time for some reason, lol.

Actually when Varamyr dies, and his spirit is floating, he passes over a direwolf that snarls at him.

How could you think Summer was female? That just cracks me up. :lol:

Ok, this is a bit of the bit where Summer meets One Eye, Sly and Stalker:

"The eyes of the three wolves glowed yellow. The direwolf swung his head from side to side, nostrils flaring, then bared his fangs in a snarl. The younger male backed away. The direwolf could smell the fear in him. Tail, he knew. But the one-eyed wolf answered with a growl and moved to block his advance. Head. And he does not fear me though I am twice his size.

Their eyes met.

Warg!

Then the two rushed together, wolf and direwolf, and there was no more time for thought."

So, both Bran and Varamyr recognise each other as wargs. Shouldn't Varamyr be kinda fading by now? Because in the prologue when he is waiting for Thistle he remembers things Haggon told him, right? Doesn't he say that little by little the man forgets who he had been? How long does it take for the man to be completely gone?

Actually when Varamyr dies, and his spirit is floating, he passes over a direwolf that snarls at him.

How could you think Summer was female? That just cracks me up. :lol:

Oh, good catch! I must have missed it.

IDK. :rofl: I guess because I knew someone irl with that name and it was a female so I just assumed.

I honestly, have no idea. That's the interesting thing about this thread we can ask all these questions that bother us about the wolves and maybe come up with some theories. I am looking searching in ASOS and it seems Summer can also pinpoint the location of the others, the same as Ghost.

Isn't it Summer? I thought it was... He also scares the elk with the children:

"A great wlk trumpeted, unsettling the children clinging to his back."

ps: I had assumed it was Ghost, actually, not Summer. Not sure why...

Here:

"He was in the snow and in the clouds, he was a sparrow, a squirrel, an oak. A horned owl flew silently between his trees, hunting a hare; Varamyr was inside the owl, inside the hare, inside the trees. Deep below the frozen ground, earthworms burrowed blindly in the dark, and he was them as well. I am the wood, and everything that’s in it, he thought, exulting. A hundred ravens took to the air, cawing as they felt him pass. A great elk trumpeted, unsettling the children clinging to his back. A sleeping direwolf raised his head to snarl at empty air. Before their hearts could beat again he had passed on, searching for his own, for One Eye, Sly, and Stalker, for his pack. His wolves would save him, he told himself.

That was his last thought as a man."

Now, I have absolutely no idea why I thought it was Ghost.

Archived