Too many half-witted characters being added

lyvyathan

So far, no STDs have been mentioned in the series that I'm aware of.

Actually they have. When Brienne comes upon Randyll Tarly holding justice court at Maidenpool, one of the cases brought before him is a camp follower accused of giving several soldiers the pox. He orders her privates washed out with lye and that she be imprisoned.

Wait... what? Sources on the virginity exam of Elizabeth, please? I never heard of that, and I cannot understand why a middle-aged queen would endure the humiliation of a virginity exam without extenuating circumstances.

She wasn't frigid, either. She was very taken by her stepfather and if Katherine Parr hadn't have caught them out before things went too far... it was only a matter of time. I sincerely doubt that Elizabeth was really a virgin.

In March 1579 Elizabeth underwent an extensive gynecological examination to determine whether she was still capable of bearing children (the physicians found that she was). The impetus for the exam was her courtship with the French Duc D'Anjou. Cecil noted both the exam and its results in his next report to the council.

I'm hoping to see more of the Queen of Thorns in the next book. That's what I want to see, not more of the Sand Snakes. I really hope that QoT proves more than a match for Littlefinger's deviousness.

I want to see a scene where he gets outwitted - in a big game picture - (by QoT or even Sansa) and realizes it.

All the best (and worst) people are abnormal. Exceptional means abnormal.

FWIW, children of exceptional talents are often perfectly mediocre. Yes, sometimes you have dynasties of reasonably talented people (having more to do, I think, with the fact that their children had access to specific teachings), but then there is shitload of people like Goethe's son and countless other children of great talents who were even below the average, if anything.

So, I really don't think anyone has moral imperative to breed. Great people affect world way more through their deeds than through their kids, and in case of medieval women, childbirth would put them in mortal danger.

FWIW, children of exceptional talents are often perfectly mediocre. Yes, sometimes you have dynasties of reasonably talented people (having more to do, I think, with the fact that their children had access to specific teachings), but then there is shitload of people like Goethe's son and countless other children of great talents who were even below the average, if anything.

So, I really don't think anyone has moral imperative to breed. Great people affect world way more through their deeds than through their kids, and in case of medieval women, childbirth would put them in mortal danger.

It's not like Medieval society gave women many oppurtunities to express their genius and if they did they did so by contributing to Christian music (Hildegarde of Bingen) or religious writing (Julian of Norwich)., where as those women who did have children, well the present generation benefits from their genetic material...

Niels Bohr, Einstein and Fritz Haber were all related.

So, I really don't think anyone has moral imperative to breed. Great people affect world way more through their deeds than through their kids...

I guess you have have hated Frank Herbert's Dune series then?

For the world of ASOIAF, there is some kind of biological connection that links the Targs with the dragons. As to why the "genes" did not pass on to Dany's brother - who knows besides GRRM?

I guess you have have hated Frank Herbert's Dune series then?

For the world of ASOIAF, there is some kind of biological connection that links the Targs with the dragons. As to why the "genes" did not pass on to Dany's brother - who knows besides GRRM?

there where no dragons for Viserys or Rhaegar to connect with.

Dune is fictional...

Archived