Read, you fools!

deleted01

I was just wondering how many of you have friends or family members (or newly-found boyfriends :leer: ) who have read these amazing books, or at least watched the TV series? I'm constantly posting pictures, youtube videos and trailers on facebook, sharing my ASOIAF wisdom with the world, and barely anyone bites! I've said it elsewhere as well, but I have one friend who has read up to the middle of ACOK I think, watched season 1 and that's it, he gave up; another who watched episode 1 and thought it was too much for her. Anyone else is like "Oh, wow, the books are really long, I can't be bothered" :eek: :stillsick:

Thought I'd share my frustration with you guys, who understand my pain :crying:

I have a few friends who have read the books and seen the show, but we haven't really geeked out on it together. My parents both loved the show, but they haven't read the books. She has to read a few other books first, and my dad's answer is "print is dead." ;)

I've been working on getting my husband to read them so we can discuss together. He's resisted so far (not because he thinks he wouldn't like them- he thinks he'd like them too much and stay up all night reading, and it's a really busy time at work!). I've ordered the first season on DVD, and I don't think he'll be able to withstand after watching. And if it's on the TV, he'll watch it. :)

I got like 3-4 friends to finish ADWD. 1 of my Roomates has my ACOK. (and it's pissing me off) I just lent out AGOT last week to my friend. And i got 2 girls into the HBO show who both want to see it on April 1st, which sounds like it may cause problems...

e.t.a. Oh and my uncle is a fan also, I called him Nuncle and he started cracking up

Well, I'm very proud to have introduced this series to many people, lots really. I've a few friends who like fantasy, and it went easy with them. With others, the majority, it was always the same, 'Ah, I don't like fantasy', 'Fantasy is silly', or the most annoying one, 'Fantasy is not proper literature'. Made me so mad I could have slapped them. Instead I simply bought the books and gave it to them and told them to just shut up and read. Seriously, I must have bought some 10+ sets of the first 4 books. The guys who work at Waterstone's now look at me funny... I wonder why. lol

But all these fools friends of mine who didn't like fantasy are now so totally hooked it's not even funny. And, of course, they'll have to put up with me making fun of them for the rest of their lives! :D

Ah got the girlfriend to read them and watched the series together.A few of my friends watched the series but were a bit lost-had to explain how cersei and jaime were related a time or three

I feel your pain, only one of my friends has given it a shot and hes still halfway through GOT (its been like 2 months) and the rest won't even give them a shot. So my only way to discuss the books are on these forums.

:lol: Maybe I'm not trying hard enough. I lent my AGOT to my housemate but she took 2 weeks to read a page, so I took it back for fear it'd end up in her fishtank or something xD

I have a couple of friends who have seen season 1, but they're a bit 'meh' with it. I found an android app where you can download the first 4 books for free, and my mate was like "Meh, I don't have enough time" <_< THERE IS ALWAYS TIME FOR READING!

Pliny, defo get your husband into it that way! Good idea ;)

Kissdbyfire, how on earth did you afford all those copies?! :rofl:

A big problem with me is that because I'm in the UK, and don't have HBO, we have to *find other ways* of watching stuff, and a lot of people don't like to *find these other ways* for fear of getting caught :lol: I'll definitely still be watching Season 2 on April 1st though, you try and stop me! :fencing:

Ah got the girlfriend to read them and watched the series together.A few of my friends watched the series but were a bit lost-had to explain how cersei and jaime were related a time or three

That's so irritating. My housemate and her boyfriend have seen season 1, and I couldn't believe how much they didn't comprehend. I sat there like :stillsick: Did we watch the same thing?! :lol:

The show is really popular, I know a lot of people who have seen it. My uncle read all the books before the show came out. Then I read them after the show came out. And now my father is reading them (he's about to get to the Red Wedding, I'm really excited).

Kissdbyfire, how on earth did you afford all those copies?! :rofl:

Well, they were paperbacks... And I didn't buy all of them at once! This was over a period of several years!!! lol

A big problem with me is that because I'm in the UK, and don't have HBO, we have to *find other ways* of watching stuff, and a lot of people don't like to *find these other ways* for fear of getting caught :lol: I'll definitely still be watching Season 2 on April 1st though, you try and stop me! :fencing:

Damn right. It's on Sky Atlantic here, and only one day after it airs in the US but I'll be damned if I'm gonna wait 24hours to watch.

Try to stop me too! :fencing:

The show is really popular, I know a lot of people who have seen it. My uncle read all the books before the show came out. Then I read them after the show came out. And now my father is reading them (he's about to get to the Red Wedding, I'm really excited).

Really? Oh wow, please tell us his reaction! :lol:

My 21 yr old daughter is too busy readying Twilight fanfiction to be bothered.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

but i got my ex husband to read the 1st book! he's slowly getting through the 2nd one

Haha that's good, I have very little patience. I read so quickly, so when people take ages I get quite frustrated :lol:

Is kind of liking Twilight a bannable offence? :lmao:

Well, they were paperbacks... And I didn't buy all of them at once! This was over a period of several years!!! lol

Damn right. It's on Sky Atlantic here, and only one day after it airs in the US but I'll be damned if I'm gonna wait 24hours to watch.

Try to stop me too! :fencing:

Oh thank the Gods :lol: I hope your friends appreciated them!

I'm in student housing, so I've got the TV package my landlord settled for (yet I still pay for <_< ). We have fuck all, I'm not waiting a year for it to come out on DVD. U mad, Government? :lmao:

I must confess that I am a recent convert. I saw an advert for GOT, and as I don't have sky, I thought "meh", that's a shame and carried on. Then ADWD was released and there was something about ASOIAF in the paper, and that, combined with my friends creaming themselves over GOT, made me decide to give it a try (the books). I managed to get AGOT for 50p(!) and haven't looked back.

Meanwhile, my friends who love GOT steadfastly refuse to read the books because they don't like reading...... :rolleyes: I'm trying to convert my sister though.

EDIT: I love GOT, but it can't compete with the books.

Well, last century I started reading GoT when I found the book on the bookshelves of a friend of mine. Since then, a lot of my "reading friends" read it, but they all gave up on the series earlier or later, for various reasons (dishonest storytelling, dislike of character portrayal, language quality, "cliffhanger nonsense" among the top arguments). I'm the only one who finished aFfC, but I have yet to find the motivation to read the second half of Dance.

I'm going to visit that friend again after some long years and I heard he watched the TV adoption of GoT last year. I've yet to discuss it with him, but he said something to the effect of "not too bad for a fantasy series ...".

Man, I just KNEW you would bring that up again (you know very well what I mean :P)

Otherwise I'm having a hard time too. I have been able to convince one friend to read the books, but she will only start when she has read all the other books on her waiting list, so it could be a while, she's a slow reader.

The TV show so far has only aired on a private channel, so not much fanbase there. It will air as a marathon witihin three days from March 23rd onwards on a public channel, but that channel is otherwise only known for reality tv like big brother and third-class movies. So not too much audience to gain there. And it's a friggin weekend, so most people will miss some episodes.

Not to mention the translation sucks...anyway I have instructed my parents to watch(because they're basically the only ones home on the weekend), we'll see how it turns out.

Seems like I haven't been very successful in promoting the boks/show, besides, you know what :lol:.

I must confess that I am a recent convert. I saw an advert for GOT, and as I don't have sky, I thought "meh", that's a shame and carried on. Then ADWD was released and there was something about ASOIAF in the paper, and that, combined with my friends creaming themselves over GOT, made me decide to give it a try (the books). I managed to get AGOT for 50p(!) and haven't looked back.

Meanwhile, my friends who love GOT steadfastly refuse to read the books because they don't like reading...... :rolleyes: I'm trying to convert my sister though.

EDIT: I love GOT, but it can't compete with the books.

Wow! That's what I call a bargain :cheers:

I was definitely late to the party, I only saw season 1 in like, July last year? The friend who gave up in the middle of ACOK had told me about it, so I thought 'why not', and just downloaded it :lol: I had to get the books, so I bought a boxset from Amazon, but didn't actually read them for a good few months. I put this down to worrying about getting into university, then moving across the country, starting university, etc, but if I'm honest, the prologue and Bran I bored me :drunk:

Well, last century I started reading GoT when I found the book on the bookshelves of a friend of mine. Since then, a lot of my "reading friends" read it, but they all gave up on the series earlier or later, for various reasons (dishonest storytelling, dislike of character portrayal, language quality, "cliffhanger nonsense" among the top arguments). I'm the only one who finished aFfC, but I have yet to find the motivation to read the second half of Dance.

I'm going to visit that friend again after some long years and I heard he watched the TV adoption of GoT last year. I've yet to discuss it with him, but he said something to the effect of "not too bad for a fantasy series ...".

Yes! I'm not a big fantasy fan, and I know that if I hadn't seen the TV series, I never would have looked twice at the books. I'd never even heard of GRRM if I'm quite honest :lmao:

Man, I just KNEW you would bring that up again (you know very well what I mean :P)

Otherwise I'm having a hard time too. I have been able to convince one friend to read the books, but she will only start when she has read all the other books on her waiting list, so it could be a while, she's a slow reader.

The TV show so far has only aired on a private channel, so not much fanbase there. It will air as a marathon witihin three days from March 23rd onwards on a public channel, but that channel is otherwise only known for reality tv like big brother and third-class movies. So not too much audience to gain there. And it's a friggin weekend, so most people will miss some episodes.

Not to mention the translation sucks...anyway I have instructed my parents to watch(because they're basically the only ones home on the weekend), we'll see how it turns out.

Seems like I haven't been very successful in promoting the boks/show, besides, you know what :lol:.

Hey, you outed yourself there. Nobody knew who I was talking about! :P

I did wonder about the translation actually, some things must turn out really weird :lol: I'm pretty sure it's only aired on Sky Atlantic over here, and that was waaaay later than in the US. And is an effing expensive channel.

Fuck da police :commie:

I think that a lot of people just dont read anymore.

I have been frustrated with my friend who always tells me how great the "Wheels of Time" series is, but quit reading "ASOIAF" at the end of ACOK about 3 months ago. I'm like "dammit finish them!" I know that when he gets to the meat of ASOS he will be hooked.

I just cant believe that he thinks the WOT series is so good, but cant find the time to finish ASOIAF which is the best fantasy series ever written IMO.

I think that a lot of people just dont read anymore.

Good point, well made. The art of reading has seriously gone downhill recently. I read every night before I go to bed (yes like an old woman :lol: ), usually I'm doing coursework during the day but I'll read for at least 2 hours every evening, I reckon. I love it. I constantly have a huge pile of books to read. It's the one thing making this Black March difficult - I need to buy Birdsong! :frown5:

I utterly hate the excuse 'I don't have time to read'. I know we're all busy, but it doesn't take much to take a book on the train or bus with you, to read on your lunch break, stuff like that. It's setting such a bad example for the younger generation - I could read before I could walk, my mum says :lol: my brother can barely spell my name, and he's 12 <_<

Archived