New LC?

I don't see Bowen Marsh being 999th, there are wildlings every where who just swore to follow Jon, also Wun Wun is right there. He probably didn't last two minutes after the stabbing, or anyone in his group. I'm sure he thought that he was giving his life for the watch.

I wouldn't be suprised if there ended up to be around 4-5 different "Lord Commanders" out and about. The NW will likely be in dissaray and divided, so individuals would pop up to want to take advantage of the calamity, claiming themselves a rightful leaders, while other groups are created and they split-secondly elect someone they think they want - which would lead to even more foofoora no doubt.

I think most of the NW in Castle Black will get massacred. The weeper will attack the Shadow Tower and kill them off before they can vote. The wildlings may abandon the other castles Jon garrisoned. That will leave Eastwatch, and the commander is currently Glendon Hewett. I think he will be the next LC, until Eastwatch is overrun with Others in TWoW and the NW finally destroyed.

He was sent to Hardhome and has lost almost half of his ships. There's undead in the forests, and the water, and the Wildlings are starving and no doubt unruly. He wanted help over land because he's sure to lose more ships sailing back (especially if they're filled to the brim with Wildlings). In other words Cotter Pyke is most likely doomed. A shame, I kinda liked the guy.

Forget the Lord Commander, who will the Lord be Commander of? It seems like there were few NW brothers before the first Wildling attack that Jon fought off. Many died during the Wildling attacks, then Jon sent some to man other castles. So after the NW(Who stabbed Jon in the back) fight the Wildlings and Queen's Men, how many Brothers will be left? It just seems like there are less and less men. I was beginning to think that Jon would insert hundreds of the new Wildlings into the Night's Watch, but that seems unlikely now, unless Jon does become the 1000th.

But nonetheless, I think everyone believes there will be a 1000th Lord Commander. I mean GRRM would not have made Mormont the 997th if there wasn't going to be a "special" 1000th Commander. Early on I thought that Jon would be the 1000th, which could still be possible, but who knows. It could easily be anyone from Stannis to Jaime. I'm pretty sure that the 999th LC will be irrelevant, or at least won't last long, because who actually believes the series will end with a 999th LC? And the 999th LC might be elected rather quickly after Jon is stabbed, then certain events will transpire and the 999th will die, setting up the 1000th. So probably Thorne or Marsh as 999. Marsh seems more likely because if he could get the men to kill Jon Snow, why couldn't he get himself elected? Although the last election took forever, the men at Castle Black didn't just kill their LC before that election. (I know Mormont was killed by NW, but that was out in the wild and the betrayers tried to run) This time all bets are off

So after the NW(Who stabbed Jon in the back) fight the Wildlings and Queen's Men, how many Brothers will be left?

I'm sorry to nitpick, but I truly do not understand where people are getting the notion of the Night's Watch fighting the Queen's Men from. It seems to me that the Queen has a very low opinion of the wildlings, and given that Wun Wun just tore Ser Patrek to pieces, I doubt she'd be warming up to them any time soon. If anything I would think the Queen's Men would fight alongside the watch against the wildlings. Of course, the wildcard would be Melisandre and how much influence she has amongst the different factions.

I think everyone believes there will be a 1000th Lord Commander. I mean GRRM would not have made Mormont the 997th if there wasn't going to be a "special" 1000th Commander.

Actually, and I concede that it's not the most solid of evidence, but I believe GRRM's wife said she thought the notion of a 1000th Lord Commander being significant was too corny for George.

Well, if we are to have 1000 LCs then I agree that 999th LC gotta suck. However think about this: We know why Bowen Marsh stabbed Jon; but we don't know why GRRM stabbed him, though there are a lot of speculations. I think that he will be reborn as AAR and then the NW will follow him. Though he might not be an LC cause his watch had ended with his initial death.

Anyways, if Bowen Marsh becomes LC the NW will be destroyed for sure (the quarrel between wildings and the NW). If there's gonna be a 999th LC who doesn't suck, it's Dolorous Edd!!!

yeah jaime as lord commander would be cool i think, though in the big picture is probably someone like stannis or jon as the 1000th commmander. i would like to see blackfish go to the wall and be apart of the conflict there though he is probably still in the south

I think whoever gets elected as 999th LC will have a relatively short reign. Who else will treat the Wildlings like Jon did? The Wildings ( under the leadership of Tormund ) will most likely want to avenge Jon, and they'll destroy what little remains of the NW after their betrayal.

Anyway, I think Denys Mallister will be 999th LC. And we're going to 1000th soon...

i think we have seen the end of the nights watch as we know it. with jon dead the most powerful man at the wall is tormund so they will probably take over. may not be a bad thing since the wildlings probably have a better shot vs the white walkers than the shabby remains of the watch.

I wouldn't be suprised if there ended up to be around 4-5 different "Lord Commanders" out and about. The NW will likely be in dissaray and divided, so individuals would pop up to want to take advantage of the calamity, claiming themselves a rightful leaders, while other groups are created and they split-secondly elect someone they think they want - which would lead to even more foofoora no doubt.

That sounds alot like the War of the 5 Kings.

I'm of the mind that this is a perfect time for a massive assault by wights/WW (probably those from Hardome, maybe Cotter Pyke among those undead?) on the wall. This would probably drive everyone further south, where I think the wildlings will probably subjugate the NW. Those who do not comply with terms x,y,z will probably be given to Rh'llor IE the NW will be toast.

Wouldn't that be a nice bit of irony? Marsh's 'for the watch' dumbassery results in the destruction of the watch...

The significance of being Lord Commander of a Brotherhood about 500 men strong, who no one cares about seems highly overstated, given that even the weakest of Robb's bannermen can probably raise twice that number of men.

The Watch was weak when the series started. Since then they've lost about half their strength to the Fist of the Firstmen, Styr's attack on Castle Black and other rangings like the trip to Hardhome.

The Watch is a spent force. It means nothing anymore. Lyanna Mormont can probably raise more men, just from Bear Island.

The Mountain clans can raise 5 times as many men from their mountains.

And Manderly can raise 20 times as many men from his lands.

Whoever is the next Lord Commander, the real question is: Who cares?

Archived