What would happen to the Dreadfort if the Boltons get killed off?

TheCrannogDweller

Probably, but this would incur a lot of resentment and other nasty business, not to mention all out rebellion.

Agreed, but when House Stark is restored at winterfell they lord can decide to strip any Bolton heir of the Dreadfort. I don't think the Boltons would have support enough to rebel after their plot.

In theory, probably.

In practice, very rarely. Because unless you're at the top of the chain, the fluidity with which that can be done translates to everyone else as insecurity.

True, do you think it could be an option to House Stark?

True, do you think it could be an option to House Stark?

I think they've passed the point where it would be judged as being endemic to the system or house if they did it in this case.

But they'd also probably thereafter have to excuse a whole lot of fractiousness without reprisal, or else it would be begun to be thought something they were prone to doing, which means you're now in an all or nothing stakes game. (Some claim power is always that, but I feel in practice it's only that in moments of crisis...individuals may often defy conservatism; entrenched groups rarely do.)

` The Starks can strip one of their vassals. I would imagine it's a tricky situation in most cases. I don't think the Boltons fall into that scenario. No one would be sad to see the Boltons gone. If it wasn't for the Starks allowing the Boltons to stick around I wouldn't be surprised if the other houses in the north would've hatched a plan to get rid of them. A long time ago.

And the Kings in the North exterminated the Greystarks in the past.

ETA: ninja'd by Ser James Arryn, Jon's cousin.

I don't think you can reasonably blame a child for who his parents are. For their part in the Red Wedding, both Ramsay and his wife deserve to be punished - and in the North that punishment is dead, IIRC. But not the child, IMO.

And there's no evidence to suggest that Bran can't physically have children.

We're talking nature versus nurture here, and I'm a great believer in a genetic link to behavior in an individual.

About Bran, you're right. No indication that he has no bladder control problems so he's probably functional in that area.

OP

What happened to Carthage when Rome took it would be just. Its walls broken to dust, the ground salted so that nothing will grow in memory of it; that sort of thing. A scar on the land haunted by ghosts and littered with the bones of the fallen.

:D Ah, justice.

Personally I hope the Bolton's keep it, sick of the Stark boners everywhere. I get that people loved Ned, even Robb, Sansa, Arya and Bran, but what in seven hells has Rickon done to deserve any love? Absolutely nothing, I hope Sansa gets Winterfell and the Bolton's (either via Jeyne Poole or Walda Frey), Roose is a brilliant character who is ambitious, effective and smart. Not all Bolton's are Ramsay.

Personally I hope the Bolton's keep it, sick of the Stark boners everywhere. I get that people loved Ned, even Robb, Sansa, Arya and Bran, but what in seven hells has Rickon done to deserve any love? Absolutely nothing, I hope Sansa gets Winterfell and the Bolton's (either via Jeyne Poole or Walda Frey), Roose is a brilliant character who is ambitious, effective and smart. Not all Bolton's are Ramsay.

Roose was vindictive enough to personally drive his sword through Robbs heart; even though the man had never wronged him. The father is only the son tempered with age and restraint; but no less a monter for it.

OP

What happened to Carthage when Rome took it would be just. Its walls broken to dust, the ground salted so that nothing will grow in memory of it; that sort of thing. A scar on the land haunted by ghosts and littered with the bones of the fallen.

What happened to Carthage is overstated. From Wikipedia (probably not too inaccurate):

Following the Third Punic War, the city was destroyed by the Romans in 146 BC. However, the Romans refounded Carthage, which became the Empire's fourth most important city and the capital of the short-lived Vandal kingdom. It remained one of the most important Roman cities until the Muslim conquest when it was destroyed a second time in 698.

The Boltons have been killing Starks for a thousand years. Yet the Starks have never dispossessed them of their lands or the Dreadfort.

And we all know how the Starks (or at least Ned) feel about murdering children.

I won't be shocked when Lady Walda Bolton and her son Walder Bolton are allowed to live and take over the Dreadfort.

What happened to Carthage is overstated. From Wikipedia (probably not too inaccurate):

Following the Third Punic War, the city was destroyed by the Romans in 146 BC. However, the Romans refounded Carthage, which became the Empire's fourth most important city and the capital of the short-lived Vandal kingdom. It remained one of the most important Roman cities until the Muslim conquest when it was destroyed a second time in 698.

Oh I know that. But the romanitc ideal is what I was refering to.

I honestly don't get why the Arabs decided they'd found a new city down the road and call it Tunis rather than just rebuild Carthage. lol Then we'd have Carthagisia intead of Tunisia.

I won't be shocked when Lady Walda Bolton and her son Walder Bolton are allowed to live and take over the Dreadfort.

Then the mother will whisper to her pride and joy and tell him how his father made himself Warden of the North. Then this little Lord Bolton will grow into a man and decide to try himself. Or he wont but maybe he will bitterly mumble about Starks untill his sons or grandsons want wolfskin cloaks.

Suddenly another generation of Starks will have to nervously watch The Dreadfort.

OP

With so little arable land in the north, I can't see them doing that, it's also not the centre of an empire, like Carthage was, it's just a castle with some land around it.

The Boltons have been killing Starks for a thousand years. Yet the Starks have never dispossessed them of their lands or the Dreadfort.

And we all know how the Starks (or at least Ned) feel about murdering children.

You don't have to kill children to end a line/house.

The nights watch, the citadel, etc.

And while Ned would balk at murdering children. he had no issue dispossessing them. See what he offered to Cersei in the garden.

Archived