If you lived in Westoros, what religion would you find most convincing? (If any)

Dannis Baratheon

I thought R'hllor was more comparable to the Christian God (Catholic or Protestant). R'hllor is a jealous god (does that remind you of anything? lol), and people are burned to purge wickedness much like how folks were burned at the stake in real life.

That's OLD testament god. The Seven would exemplify christianity.

I don't get how some people say they'd be atheists. Some people are atheists in real life because they don't see evidence for a god. In ASOIAF, some of the gods (R'hllor, old gods) are obviously real from what we've seen. They may not be good or omnipotent, but they're definitely real.

Are they?

I don't get how some people say they'd be atheists. Some people are atheists in real life because they don't see evidence for a god. In ASOIAF, some of the gods (R'hllor, old gods) are obviously real from what we've seen. They may not be good or omnipotent, but they're definitely real.

There's no proof that the gods are real.

I see magic, not gods.

The Old Gods are acually the old greenseers and the trees perserve their knowledge to pass on. We dont see much of their power of the simple reason that the only people they would help are the wargs and greenseers and seeing that there are less than two dozen known living of either category then the Old Gods are just trees. But they represent something, they dont care who ours worshop they just rely knowledge.

With my current disposition on the subject, I'd probably go for the Many-Faced-God aka Death.

This is not me being fatalistic, but rather my belief that the mere fact of our certain deaths is what ultimately drives almost every single one of our actions.

A world without death is an empty world, and one I'd hate to live in.

Valar morghulis.

People often confuse the idea of 'gods' and 'magic'. There's no proof, in-universe that the gods are the source of magic. Magic could be very well explained by science, in-universe, of course,

You can call the explanation God. You can call a magician God. This is what they effectively are. And as far as a regular person is concerned, there are/can be gods.

A clarification: lived or grown up in Westeros? Your surroundings shape you; I don't think most people claiming they'd remain atheist, would be that if they had grown up there. A fervent atheist's personality would be that of a fervent believer, had they grown up in a different place. If I were transported to the universe now I'd be eyeing the red God, or the Old Gods.

You can call the explanation God. You can call a magician God. This is what they effectively are. And as far as a regular person is concerned, there are/can be gods.

A clarification: lived or grown up in Westeros? Your surroundings shape you; I don't think most people claiming they'd remain atheist, would be that if they had grown up there. A fervent atheist's personality would be that of a fervent believer, had they grown up in a different place. If I were transported to the universe now I'd be eyeing the red God, or the Old Gods.

I meant 'gods' in the tradtional sense

There is no concrete proof in the books that any of those religions are real. Some of them might be more plausible than others, but there is nothing that would lead me to believe in any of them. Like other posters have said there is evidence of magic, not necessarily gods.

Indeed, from the reader perspective, there's no reason to believe that the gods are real in the books. However, had I grown up in that world, realistically I would most probably have been taken in by whatever religion was dominant in my area, with a possible conversion if someone with a lot of magic tricks came along (e.g. Mel).

I like the Old Gods. I don't quite get what their deal is yet but I'd rather chill in the godswood than have to suffer through some pious septon droning on and on, I had enough of that at church when I was younger. And R'hllor and his nightfires chanting "The night is dark and full of terrors," no thanks. Pyp's line "the night is dark and full of turnips," is the perfect sentiment.

Archived