Maester Aemon Calls Tyrion A Giant Come Among Us...Why?

Dolorous Nedd

I guess it all depends on how you see things. A man who is almost blind calling a dwarf a giant, Jon calling his shadow giant, the term my giant Lannister. GRRM is a tricky writer and likes to kill people off but I think Tyrion could be one of the true heros of the series when all is said and done.

interesting. care to elaborate?

Sure.

I think Gregor is a bit too easy of a mark to place as the giant. He never had much of an impact on the girls (besides subjecting Arya to witnessing torture), and I don't see Robert Strong having an impact either. He's a meat stick. Nothing more.

So, I figure it is a master manipulator. Littlefinger or Tyrion. Both are associated with giants. Both are a pretty big part of Sansa's story. And they both have potential of playing on Arya's.

The various Tyrion = giant helps the Tyrion theory (though I like the LF version myself).

I should point out the Tyrion theory only works if Tyrion doesn't turn his arc around and becomes the monster he was always accused of being.

It is not meant as a compliment as the exchange between the two shows. Giants can be destructive and threatening. But Tyrion is a giant - politically. His potential to dominate the political scene as heir and eventual Lord of Casterly Rock is huge, but that is a truth that Tyrion is shy of and suppresses. It is truth that will bring him into conflict with his father...the consequences of which I think we are all familiar with ;)

I agree with this 100%. I reread this recently and had the impression that Aemon was making a statement of fact and that he wasn't necessarily thrilled about it. Most of the truly clever people in the series can tell that Tyrion is capable of doing big things. But Aemon also "sees" Tyrion's destructive potential. He knows Tyrion has the need to prove himself. Tywin has been in situations where he needed to prove something. Look how those situations worked out for Tytos Lannister's mistress, the Reynes, the Tarbecks, Tysha, the Targs in the Red Keep, and the entire Riverlands.

Aemon once saw himself as a potential destructive force. That's why he chose to go to the Wall instead of staying at court.

Maester Aemon was talking about Tyrion's status as the queen's brother, son of Tywin Lannister and heir to Casterly Rock. Hewas (Tyrion) one of the most important men in Westoros at the time. Didn't Aemon also ask him to talk to Cersei and see if she would send the Wall aid? I'm sure he was speaking about his titles more so than his intelligence.

I don't know why Aemon calls Tyrion a giant, but I don't think it's because of his intellect. Maester Aemon is far wiser, and Tyrion, while witty and cunning, has made some really stupid decisions throughout the series. I do think it's foreshadowing, along with Bran's and the Ghost of High Heart's prophesies.

Bran:

He saw his father pleading with the king, his face etched with grief. He saw Sansa crying herself to sleep at night, and he saw Arya watching in silence and holding her secrets hard in her heart. There were shadows all around them. One shadow was as dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

Ghost of High Heart:

I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow.

Arya, when sailing into Braavos, notes that the titan (titan being LF's house sigil) is large enough to step over the walls of Winterfell.

Since Littlefinger does step into Sansa's snow castle, it's been theorized that he's the one she will "slay." However, it's also been argued that this can also either be UnGregor or Tyrion.

GRRM has invested so much in the story of Tyrion that it is clear that he is going to have a huge part to play in the denouement. If it turns out Tyrion dies saving Dany I shall be most annoyed. I hope Tyrion will be allowed an exit strategy from the final climax and end up in comfortable and scholarly exile in some distant realm, hopefully with the dwarf girl.

Moqorro tell Tyrion he is a small man with a big shadow.

I remember reading this and it reminding me of a teaser poster for Phantom Menace (I know, I know! but it was a great poster, at least) where child Anakin casts the shadow of Vader.

Definitely a portent of some kind, I think

GRRM has invested so much in the story of Tyrion that it is clear that he is going to have a huge part to play in the denouement. If it turns out Tyrion dies saving Dany I shall be most annoyed. I hope Tyrion will be allowed an exit strategy from the final climax and end up in comfortable and scholarly exile in some distant realm, hopefully with the dwarf girl.

I have seen a theory that Tyrion will turn against Dany, or Dany against Tyrion, because she will demand that Jamie die for killing Aerys II and this demand will be rejected. This is supposed to fulfill the "treason for love."

About the comments regarding Tyrion's shadow: These seem to foreshadow the critical and massive role Tyrion has played and will play in many events of Westeros and that his decisions and deeds will have long lasting repercussions.

The comments about Tyrion as a "giant" may be partially nods to his shrewdness and great intelligence. Also, these comments are likely foreshadowing the large role Tyrion will play in Westerosi, and possibly global, events.

Tyrion is a giant, or rather casts a giant's shadow. We can see the shadow cast across many of the major events in the story. Off the top of my head; he was at the center of the crisis that set off the War of the Five Kings, played a major role in the Battle of Blackwater, stirred Cersei's madness, killed the realm's most feared military leader, and he turned Aegon away from Dany and towards Westeros. His influence on the story as a whole I think outweighs any other single character (thus far).

Nah, it was just his grandfather's. I don't think he's exactly "associated with a giant" because of this. Unless he reassumes it either actually or figurativelly, I'd be very disapointed if he were "the giant" Sansa is supposed to slay.

Can you say why? I'm hard pressed to think of a more suitable candidate than LF, someone who almost singlehandedly destroyed her family, has entrapped her within his schemes and is making unwanted sexual advances towards her. How could Sansa slaying LF as a giant - both for his literal and symbolic associations - be anything less than karmic justice?

Archived