Best Warrior in Westeros

Fat of the Canals

as far as best battlefield asset, still the archer. can basically snipe other side's important players, best swordsman id probably lean towards mance after some consideration (if he is alive) and commander id say either Martel or Jon Snow, if we are only going by best still alive. best in the serries is clearly totally different
Martel or Jon Snow? Seriously? Theyve done nothing to be put anywhere near the top. Martell has never even led men. anyways, going with living westerosi:

1: Garlan/ Darkstar

2: Anguy

3: JonC/ Stannis

1. Ser Barriston (Until someone gives him a run for his money he is the man to beat)

2. Mance Rayder (You do not become King Beyond the Wall without kicking some ass)

3. Tormund (Would have been King had Mance not beaten him)

4. Thoros of Myr (Won the melee at the Hand's Tourney)

5. Lord Bronn (Just a badass)

6. Jon Snow (Has the most victories of anyone we have seen fight in the books)

7. Ser Ilyn Payne (For constantly kicking Jamie's ass)

8. Brienne of Tarth (Gave a pre-cripple Jamie a run for his money, and beat Ser Loras)

9. Ser Loras Tyrell (Beat all the other Rainbow Guard excet Brenne)

10. Sandor Clegaine (I would rank The Hound higher, but who knows how his life change effected his abilities)

Out of all the fighters in the series I think I`d pick Sandor.

Off topic: How good of a fighter is Ilyn Payne? I know he beets Jaime while their training but Jaime is fighting with his left arm so he`s in a disadvantage...

H e was Tywin's commander of he guard and personal bodyguard when he was the hand of Aerys, so he is pretty damn good. Sandor and Jamie both think the guy is skilled so he is skilled. He is also a bit crazy. The Shows version of him is terrible.

gosh, I didnt get it until I saw the bear head.

And I always thought it was the pink dress that big clue :)

I think Brienne is greatly under-rated due to gender. But I see Jaime's efforts as having some direction...more in the fashion of the Halfhand rather than Bywater.

It annoys me everytime someone puts Loras higher on their list than Garlan when Garlan is by Loras' own admission the better fighter

Loras saying he is better is one thing, having anything other than Loras' word in the text to back it up is another.

And I always thought it was the pink dress that big clue :)

I think Brienne is greatly under-rated due to gender. But I see Jaime's efforts as having some direction...more in the fashion of the Halfhand rather than Bywater.

Jaime was nearly able to succumb Brienne in a duel, just after he was released from Riverrun. Later, in AFFC, Brienne reflects on how good a swordsman Jaime is to have given her such a good match, since he had been starved and wasted in Riverrun and so was far from ideal condition when the duel began.

It's the reason why we shouldn't underestimate my boo-boo in his fight against Stoneheart's gang.

Jaime was nearly able to succumb Brienne in a duel, just after he was released from Riverrun. Later, in AFFC, Brienne reflects on how good a swordsman Jaime is to have given her such a good match, since he had been starved and wasted in Riverrun and so was far from ideal condition when the duel began.

It's the reason why we shouldn't underestimate my boo-boo in his fight against Stoneheart's gang.

I don't underestimate him. And you forgot he was also in chains. :)

And you forget I have partial custody of him anyway :P

Martel or Jon Snow? Seriously? Theyve done nothing to be put anywhere near the top. Martell has never even led men. anyways, going with living westerosi:

1: Garlan/ Darkstar

2: Anguy

3: JonC/ Stannis

I was thinking as far as strategy. frankly not many of the remaining westerosi are particularly brilliant strategists. Jon came up with a large part of the Stannis campaigne in the north, and Martell has been cunning politically, i expect to see a lot from him as a strategist. if you mean tactician, than obviously that changes things, and leaves us with no clear contendors aside for allegedly Tarly.

I mean it seems to me obvious that it is Mance. He defeated all the wildling leaders, some much bigger than him, some smaller and more agile. He also toyed with Jon (who wields a valyrian blade). He seems to be an adaptable and great fighter. I gotta go with Areo as my number two, he is shown in the same light as Barristan in that he can accurately gauge his opponent's strength without fighting him. I would say Jaime if not for the whole missing hand thing.

I was thinking as far as strategy. frankly not many of the remaining westerosi are particularly brilliant strategists. Jon came up with a large part of the Stannis campaigne in the north, and Martell has been cunning politically, i expect to see a lot from him as a strategist. if you mean tactician, than obviously that changes things, and leaves us with no clear contendors aside for allegedly Tarly.
The north is Jons territory, so I didnt think his advice was too impressive. And Dorans entire strategy involves sitting on his ass.

JonC, Stannis, and Tarly are the only outstanding strategists I can think of.

btw, given the nature of the thread, I thought it was clear that the op meant war strategists.

Post ADWD

1. Garlan Tyrell

2. Mance Rayder

3. Sandor Clegane

4. Lyn Corbray

5. Loras Tyrell

6. Bronn

7. Areo Hotah

8. Andrik the Unsmiling

9. Victarion Greyjoy

10. Darkstar

Brienne just missed the list, just can't put her in the top ten when she herself admitted she couldn't hold off a starved, chained, rusty Jaime Lannister, even if he was the best on the planet at the time. Also Barristan is just too old at this point. Still a great fighter but not among the very best in the entire world. Michael Jordan isn't still the best basketball player just because of past accomplishments. i also feel like people discount people with great reputations (Loras, Darkstar, Andrik, Corbray) too easily, those reputations are based off something. Besides, there isn't very many opportunities for two top tier fighters to square off and prove themselves in that manner.

Well, Barristan is the most renown and he's still catching bodies. So I have him at number 1. After him, no one has been in more sword fights than Brienne and Sandor. Victarion has yet to lose a battle. Garlan is an interesting character with a lot of fans but all we've witnessed him do is dress up like Renly and fight in Blackwater Bay (and train against three opponents).

Archived