What IS the song of ice and fire?

First of My Name

In Dany's vision Rhaegar says 'his will be the song of ice and fire.' SoIaF hasn't been mentioned anywhere else yet, though Meera and Jojen pledge their loyalty Bran by 'swearing it by ice and fire.' So, what's the song of ice and fire? My first thought was a song for a king, but it may also have something to do with AAR or simply the elements.

I think that it's probably the second Batttle for the Dawn and possibly something more fundamental about the place of magic within the world, although I doubt Rhaegar really knew the scale of the prophecy that he was dealing with

In Dany's vision Rhaegar says 'his will be the song of ice and fire.' SoIaF hasn't been mentioned anywhere else yet, though Meera and Jojen pledge their loyalty Bran by 'swearing it by ice and fire.' So, what's the song of ice and fire? My first thought was a song for a king, but it may also have something to do with AAR or simply the elements.

It doesn't have to do with AAR, at least that's not likely what Rhaegar was referring to. AAR appears to be a R'hllor specific hero. He's referring to the Targaryen prophecy about The Prince Who Was Promised. And the song in general, I think, refers to the Second Battle for the Dawn, and Jon more specifically. The son Rhaegar sought to create by binding fire with ice.

The most obvious meaning is that it is the pathos of Westerosi life, torn between the unforgiving Winters and the firm grip of the Targaryens and their legacy and forged by those influences, which it both resents and is proud of.

But Rhaegar probably had a somewhat more specific meaning in mind.

I remember that in this interview (

questions are in Spanish, George answers in English), someone asked GRRM the same question. Obviously he isn't going to give plot points away, but he said that it has multiple meanings and is all about interpretation (I'm paraphrasing from memory).

I think the most obvious interpretation is that the 'song' is the epic saga, 'ice' is to do with the others, and 'fire' is to do with dragons coming back into the world.

But really there is no specific meaning, it is all interpretation.

I don't think it really has one specific representation. I think it's more thematic. There are lots of examples of "ice" interacting with "fire" in the series.

The only explicit mention of the song was by Rhaegar, and while it does seem like that in particular has some relation to prophecy nevertheless there are still multiple interpretations of the series title and I think that is how George intended it.

Archived