[Book Spoilers]What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

WinterKing

Slightly off-topic, but I remember thinking Lancel Lanister and Loras Tyrell were the same person for all of season 1 (before I started reading the books obviously).

I think this was a common misconception, as two of my friends couldn't tell them apart either.

Slightly off-topic, but I remember thinking Lancel Lanister and Loras Tyrell were the same person for all of season 1 (before I started reading the books obviously).

I think this was a common misconception, as two of my friends couldn't tell them apart either.

I thought they were the same too, until I read the books and went back and paid closer attention to the actors. LOL

My mom thinks Loras is too young for Cersei... but doesn't say anything about the age difference between Sansa and Tyrion :stunned:

She also doubts "The Idiot of Robb" would be able to get an army, but thinks he, somehow, must get it and succeed in his attack on Casterly Rock, because the season has to end with a strong ending. I hope my expression when she told me that didn't spoil too much.

She also thinks nearly everyone are idiots, except for Arya, Tyrion and maybe Danny. Then again, she is right.

The BWB-Hound stuff confused the hell out my dad. He was like, "Wait, the burned fella everyone calls Dog has a brother?" It took me about 5 minutes to explain who The Mountain is, and I'm still not sure he gets it. He is a huge Robb Stark fan, so I am very much looking forward to watching the RW with him :devil:. Unfortunately, he also thinks Stannis is a selfish, power hungry ass and can't wait for him to be killed off and refuses to give Jaime any sort of sympathy :frown5:

I'm finding that people who don't read much generally want characters that are more straightforward. It results in many people who refuse to change their opinions on characters who have done bad things. It's frustrating.

I absolutely agree. The only reason my friends are starting to sympathize with/like Jaime is because I told them that Jaime never killed his cousin in the book, as book Jaime wouldn't do that. Otherwise, I wouldn't stop hearing "Oh, how can you like that douche bag? He tried to murder a little kid and did murder his own cousin."

I'm finding that people who don't read much generally want characters that are more straightforward. It results in many people who refuse to change their opinions on characters who have done bad things. It's frustrating.

Isn't it every person's right to change or not change their mind as they like? Also do we all have to have the same opinion about the characters and react to their story in the same way?Or you need for everyone to agree about your favorite character to feel you're right :P Cmon people what's the problem,let ppl think what they want,we know the truth...and the truth is Starks will have their revenge,Stannis will never get the throne and Jaime is cool :P

Didn't say it's not their right. But it's also my right to be irritated at people who don't want complexity and that no matter what a person does, they have made up their mind on them. So people who think a "good" character can do no wrong and still like them are annoying and so are people who think "evil" characters are completely beyond redemption. It's such a boring story and I don't understand why people would want that.

My friend found this episode a little dull. He recognized that it was more of a turning point episode, though and has high expectations for the next episode to be action-packed.

He also wondered how angry Walder Frey would be when Robb shows up to ask for help since he's kind of a crazy guy. I had to bite my tongue so hard to keep my facial expressions neutral.

I needed to get my husband to watch the episode a second time to get his impressions (I suspect he slept through the parts with less action and more dialogue...). OK. Here we go:

Ygritte and Jon: “It’s about time. She has wanted to sleep with him since she first saw him”. (So, it seems that the scene doesn’t appear rushed to non-readers).

Beric: “He was dead”. “Yes, he was”, I said. “He has been dead a few times”. Fortunately, Beric and Thoros explained it later on. (I myself found that the resurrection wasn’t very well managed).

My husband likes Beric and his gang. He sees him as a sort of Robin Hood (of a harder and more dangerous variety).

He just loved the scene with the three Lannisters, and believes that Tyrion would be a better husband for Sansa than Joffrey or Loras, because he is kind, intelligent and well-meaning and that he is nowhere as bad as the rest of the family.

He cheered at the Hound’s victory. Clegane is one of his favorite characters: the bad man with a soft spot for ladies in distress, I guess. He noticed it was the first time his complete name was mentioned (I wonder if he is right?).

He is quite certain that the Tyrells will refuse the Loras-Cercei marriage because it offers no additional advantage for them once Joffrey marries Margery.

And he agrees with Robb’s beheading of Karstark, especially after he called him the” king who lost the north”. Robb didn’t have any choice then but to execute him. I myself see Robb’s arc as following the rules of classic tragedy. Indeed, the hero makes a first mistake because of a flaw he has (marrying despite the arrangement with the Freys, thus putting heart matters before those of the state), and then events simply go downhill from there, without the possibility to stop them, until the tragic conclusion.

Husband completely missed the importance of Jorah’s and Barristan’s conversation, and absolutely did not see the look Jorah gave Barristan when they were talking about the small council.

Didn't remember having seen Qyburn before.

I agree the resurrection was handled poorly. I don't know why, but I thought his entire arm was chopped off in the books and that he was gone for a couple of hours while Thoros patched him up. That would have made it a little clearer that he died, I think. But I guess they didn't need to since they explained it later.

First of all, I apologise for any spelling or grammar mistakes: English is not my mother tongue. I have created an account in order to post in this thread which I find so, so fun and interesting.

My best friend is a non-reader, but he doesn’t care about spoilers at all, in fact, he loves them! He keeps asking me to tell him more and more; so finally I can’t refuse! Anyway, I asked about Jaime and he said that he had never really hated him, because he loves witty and eloquent characters: he says you can hate him for his actions, but when he opens his mouth he totally owns you. He added that after the loss of his hand he in addition feels sympathetic.

I asked about “boy” and of course he didn’t have a clue: and he guessed that the reason he played around with Theon was that he somehow wanted to gain a more relevant position among his people or be admired by them (he wasn’t able to specify any more!)

Also he absolutely loves the Brotherhood without Banners.

LOL I have a friend who's not speaking English very well and he was watching GOT w/out subtitles so after season 1 I got to talking with him about the series and I asked him who's his favorite character and he said Khaleesi. I said"Oh you like Dany" and he was like "Who"? I said "I guess I know why she's your favorite. Then I asked him was he sad they killed Ned and he asked "Who's Ned" :eek: I said "The guy who lost his head in the end" and he was like oh,him I dunno his name :eek: :eek: :eek:

This makes me miss the "like" button. Friggin amazing. So much win from such an epic fail. Made me lol.

I don't think it's expecting too much to realize that khaleesi sounds like a feminine form of khal, or that she calls herself Daenerys like a million times (I could understand maybe being confused on her last name though). Can't even use the excuse that it's confusing in the show, because I started with the show and I knew her name wasn't khaleesi. My friend did too. And doesn't she say "I am your khaleesi" or something at some point? That sounds stupid if khaleesi is her name. "I am your bob and you will obey me or the king will hear of it!"

"I am your bob..." laughed my head off. Still giggle every time I read it.

They all think Dany's invasion of Westeros is imminent. Fools, but I thought the same at this point in the story. They also basically just want Tyrion, Jaime, Robb, and Dany. They don't care much for Jon and easily forget about Bran (the show hasn't quite shown how powerful Bran is yet).

I absolutely agree. The only reason my friends are starting to sympathize with/like Jaime is because I told them that Jaime never killed his cousin in the book, as book Jaime wouldn't do that. Otherwise, I wouldn't stop hearing "Oh, how can you like that douche bag? He tried to murder a little kid and did murder his own cousin."

Right, because book Jaime didn't have enough dislikable traits without killing his cousin. IMO he was still a completely black hearted ass hat whom was extremely easy to hate through the first couple books. It was awesome when his hand was lopped off by the slavering savage.

There was time to start to feel sympathy for him after that when George did his old switcharoo, but his redemption arc has only just started. I would not expect show fans to already feel bad for him because he admitted the king he slay was a crazy asshole and he prevented Brienne from being raped.

He really changes when you see him back in King's Landing and he has renounced many of his old faults.

EDIT: My brother and sister-in-law are seeing that people like The Hound and Jaime are possibly not as simply evil as they first appeared.

They all think Dany's invasion of Westeros is imminent. Fools, but I thought the same at this point in the story. They also basically just want Tyrion, Jaime, Robb, and Dany. They don't care much for Jon and easily forget about Bran (the show hasn't quite shown how powerful Bran is yet).

Irrelevant, but you avatar makes me hum

every time I see it.

Yup, the show really hasn't showcased Bran's abilities at all. I'm guessing it will be spread out more over the next 2 seasons, given that he has very little source material for the future.

My mums predictions are not bad.

She thinks "Dany will be ready to attack Westeros by the end of the season", which is wrong but a fair assumption.

She thinks "Marge and her mother are going to bring down Joff "

She thinks " Ayra is going to end up a little hardnut and maybe kill some people, possibly ones on her list"

She's "interested in Jaime's story because it seems very unpredictable "

Archived