Why is Theon named after a Stark?

And Targ come to think of it.

AemON

AegON

DaerON

DaemON

Oh lawd! The Greyjoys are the lost Targ line!! :cool4: As for Theon's name, I doubt it was after a Stark. The Ironborn, seem to have their own identity and are very proud of it. Could the name Theon, just be a more common name, the further north you travel?

In DWD Theon thinks

Theon Stark, the Hungry Wolf. My namesake.

He too ponders on the fact that he bears the name of a King In The North.

I think that namesake means that someone is named after someone else and sometimes there is another meaning that two people share the same name.

I cannot think why would Balon or Alannys name their a child after an infamous Stark King.

I think the Iron Islands have a bit in common culturally with the North. At least more than with the rest of the continent.

This is quite plausible.

On the other hand, perhaps GRRM meant it as an irony, given the fact that Theon was an Ironborn in the North and a Northman in the Iron Islands.

I think the Iron Islands have a bit in common culturally with the North. At least more than with the rest of the continent.

This is correct. They're both descended from the First Men. If you look through both houses' genealogies you'll see a lot of similar names.

I think that namesake means that someone is named after someone else and sometimes there is another meaning that two people share the same name.

Exactly, and that is the original usage, even though contemporary (mostly) American usage has shifted the meaning of namesake towards the meaning of "the guy that someone was named for". GRRM uses the original meaning at other places (the "namesakes" that are mentioned are often actually younger and thus couldn't be the reasons for the name at all), so I assume he does here too.

[King Robert] sighed deeply. "The boy is my namesake, did you know that? Robert Arryn."

Time travel paradoxon embarrasment.... or your namesake isn't necessarily the one you're named for.

Hmm this is something I have always pondered. The two races seemed so damn similar; they laugh when their fingers get chopped off after they rough house at parties and feasts, they're known as tough and live in harsh climates.

They should make an alliance!

isnt that what namesake means though? That it was intentional?

No, not always.

But in this specific case, given the quote provided and directness of it, I would tend towards that it does.

Exactly, and that is the original usage, even though contemporary (mostly) American usage has shifted the meaning of namesake towards the meaning of "the guy that someone was named for". GRRM uses the original meaning at other places (the "namesakes" that are mentioned are often actually younger and thus couldn't be the reasons for the name at all), so I assume he does here too.

... or maybe I'm wrong. Could you give examples of where he refers to other namesakes in the series?

Archived